PDA

View Full Version : What's a good handle/rope for slalom?

mitch
03-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Tried one of the curved one's late last year, and liked it a lot. Suggestions? Thanks!

jayderwin1
03-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Straight Line

Ski-A-Rees
03-02-2005, 11:27 AM
I have used a lot of Straight Line ropes and have never had a problem with them!

BrianM
03-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Try Brenda at In Tow

http://www.jlbmfg.com/intow.htm

She makes great custom ropes and handles at a great price. Almost everyone in our club uses her ropes and handles. All different sizes and shapes. I am currently using one of her 12" eliptical Handles and love it.

MarkP
03-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Cool link Brian. I may give them a call (if spring ever comes)

BrianM
03-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Brenda really is awsome:toast: . She will make you anything you want in any color size shape you can think of.

One of my training partners is a Marine and had her make him a training mainline with proper take off loop but in alternating red white and blue. Had her do my long section between the handle and the 39 off loop in black instead of the usual white. Very cool.

Oh yeah she only takes cash or check but she sends out your order with an invoice and you mail her back a check when you receive your order. Now that is service......and trusting.

east tx skier
03-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Currently using sraightline 13" handle (don't remember the diameter). It's a straight handle with a normal grip. The curved handles are alright, but my last one had a tractor grip and I've found that grip hard on the hands.

G-man
03-02-2005, 12:17 PM
I like the ARS handle now manufactured by Accurate-HO Sports, handle diameter of .888,.940,1.062,1.10,& 1.125 are avalable. I am trying the .888 this season. Last season I borrowed an elipical small diameter and liked that a lot.

Professor
03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I think several companies make a good handle. I use the Masterline 13 .888 diameter (order various sizes 12 or 13 and diameters .888; .940; 1.00; 1.030; 1.062. 1.092; 1.125). Link: http://www.masterlineusa.com
But the link BrianM mentioned is something I will check out!

sfitzgerald351
03-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Wow... I guess I'm not the gear junky I used to be. I bought my current straightline rope and handle 4 years ago and it never really occured to me to try out different handles or ropes... I'm probably due for a new one this year so I'm keen to try out Brenda's stuff. Looks cool.

LakeLottawatta
03-02-2005, 02:54 PM
I will have to give in-tow my plug. Brenda will put "in-between" take-off loops in so that the jump from 15 to 22 and 22 to 28 off is not so big. That is great for confidence building. I have also had very good luck with Masterline. The last few Masterlines I have had were spot on accurate out of the bag and my last years ropes show no wear whatsoever. I ski everyday so I get new ropes every season. In my experience, I have never had even one single straight line that was accurate out of the bag. They also seem to wear quicker at the loops, handle end, and where the rope makes contact with the jump for the beginning jumpers. Just my experience.

Ric
03-02-2005, 03:37 PM
13" curved ARS handle (I think it's 1.062" dia)

LOVE IT!!!!!!! Try one for yourself. I think the ars handle is the main thing that stopped my hands from shreading. (that... and kevlar liners!)

BrianM
03-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Brenda at In Tow makes ARS handles as well.

DanC
03-02-2005, 04:44 PM
I always liked Straight Line ropes. I believe the orginal founder sold the company some time ago and the quality of the ropes has gone down significantly. Two years ago I bought three identical Straightline ropes (somebody forgot to take off the promo sale tags :) ) The lengths of the three varied by 16 inches :eek: . No change in the variation after being stretched.

mitch
03-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback!!!!!!!! Couple of questions. In-tow looks pretty good, ship same day, reasonable shipping
What is ARS...Anti-roll. What does that do for me?

Is this the curved style i.e., bent???
Team 12" Bent (1.00)<---This one?

Looking for a std. line, std color, takes offs?
Spliced together, standard loop<---This one?

I mainly board, but 25% ski, so this is really for wife/daughter/son who are 95% ski. Thoughts? Size diamater is mostly guess :rolleyes:

She recommends a new line every 3 months??? Yikes.

MasterMason
03-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Mitch, Look here (http://www.skirope.com/) this is the guy that had the patent and is going out of business and sold his patent. Good expliantion of what the ARS does.

mitch
03-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Gregg, I see! Thanks!

Hemey5
03-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Accurate Ropes , I use the the Accurate handle George spoke of. The different diameter handles can really give you a custom grip feel.

Hemey5
03-03-2005, 09:01 AM
I usually prestretch my ropes with the riding lawn tractor and rope hooked to hitch on truck. My driveway is concrete and on a slope, which helps create a strong tension on the rope. Stretching a new rope in the course can really throw off your rhythm.

Professor
03-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Mitch, Look here (http://www.skirope.com/) this is the guy that had the patent and is going out of business and sold his patent. Good expliantion of what the ARS does.
Gregg, I checked out the site and too bad that the company is closing for reasons that sound all too common. I am going to order a couple of their closeouts. Good prices!

Robert Averyt
03-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Try Straight Lines new tractor radius b2I system. I love it.

You can change out the rubber handle when it gets worn out with out having to buy the whole handle. We go through a handle about every two weeks. Now all we do is snap in a new handle "bar" ` $14.oo each

Works great for us.

I just wish some one would come up with a good xxl ski glove. Straight line just came out with xxl in the swiss kevlar. Everything is bigger except the diameter of the finger holes.

MasterMason
03-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Gregg, I checked out the site and too bad that the company is closing for reasons that sound all too common. I am going to order a couple of their closeouts. Good prices!

yea I stumbled on this site and I bought the Rope and handle package on the Misc page. It seams to be a pretty good rope, but I haven't had the chance to actually use it yet.

east tx skier
03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Dan, "dynamite" avatar.

/vote for pedro.