PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump Question

boofer
08-27-2007, 01:18 AM
I posted not too long ago about my forward bilge running constantly when the motor is running. Well, I have some additional information and questions. The boat is a 2005 X-2.

When I got to try out the upgraded ballast system, the fill/drain connection on my center sack came off. Needless to say, this filled the bilge area to a couple of inches. Something that I have never noticed is that the light in the bilge rocker switch came on for the forward bilge pump (the bilge was pumping out water). I am perplexed and in need of some bilge pump education.

The bilge pump sounds like it is running anytime the motor is running. Is this normal when there is no water present?

So, bilge runs momentarily when key is turned. Bilge runs constantly when motor is running. When water rises high enough the light in the switch comes on (goes off when water level decreases). Bilge turns on/off via the switch when the motor is not running.

I do not think that the bilge should be running all the time while the motor is running. I believe that it should only run when one of two conditions are met: 1) you turn the switch on, 2) the water level rises high enough to activate the float switch.

So, am I dumb or what?

peason
08-27-2007, 07:30 AM
You are correct. There should be a float mechnism on your bilge pump - it is not working properly - sometimes debris can make it stick. Search this site for othe bilge posts. Some pumps simply twist out from thier base can you can buy a new one and twist it onto the base. You need to find out why the float is not working.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-27-2007, 08:15 AM
I just replaced my forward bilge pump b/c it would not turn on and threw the breaker. The motor locked.

Anyway...your pump should not run unless it triggers automatically and/or you throw the manual switch. Make sure you are hearing your bilge and not your fuel pump. But as peason said, if it is running all the time, your float may be stuck.

1) Release your pump from the blue strainer by 'pinching' the 2 white tabs.
2) Lift the motor out and remove the 2(?) bottom screw holding the bottom plate on. Leave the blue strainer portion screwed to the floor.
3) Inspect/clean the float. I believe there is a magnet on the top of the float. Make sure it's still connected to the float and not the top of the channel.

You should be able to manually trigger the pump by moving the float up and down with your finger to test.

See attached for a diagram.

boofer
08-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I had indeed removed the pump and thoroughly cleaned it. It was not gummed up but had some small debris in it.

I never thought about the fuel pump. But, the sound is definitely the bilge. I will check it out anyway to rule that out.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-27-2007, 01:14 PM
A replacement was $70 from my dealer (w/ tax and shipping). I wasn't sure if the ones you buy elsewhere have the correct connector.