PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Metal Flake

Chief
08-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Any tips on removing scratch from metal flake? I put a nice scratch in the transome when the bimini fell off the hook on the wall and hit the transome. Not bad but I'm the epitome of Anal-retentive.

Thanks in advance: It's the Fire red metal flake.

G-man
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
If the scratch is small and didn't dig in just leaving a white scratch fill it in with a red sharpie to hide it. If it dug in beyond that it can get expensive and sometimes the repair looks woorse than the scratch.

Farmer Ted
08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
if you take it to get done, be sure and ask them if they've ever done any metal flake repairs and tell them you want to speak to the people who paid for the repair

if it's just a scratch into the clear that should be easy to get buffed out

if it goes into the flake that's where it gets ugly

I had some work done on mine and if you didn't know where the repair was done, you'd never be able to find it unless you saw the boat under the lights at night then it jumps out at you because some of the flake is just not laid the same as the rest

TMCNo1
08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
If it's a light scratch in the clear gelcoat over the flake, it can be sanded out and buffed, otherwise if it is deep and still not into the flake, you can fill in the scratch with clear urethane clearcoat paint and block sand it smooth and buff it out.

Chief
08-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Real small spot past the clear, scratch is just to the flake. I will take some light rubbing compound to it and if that does not do it I will use some sandpaper then compound. I took some pictures of if but because it was dark I was unable to get a good shot but most people would think it's minor but I don't like scratches. While I'm fixing that one I will also buff out the scratches from people dinging the wakeboard in the rear too.

SkiDog
08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
double post, sorry

SkiDog
08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Real small spot past the clear, scratch is just to the flake. I will take some light rubbing compound to it and if that does not do it I will use some sandpaper then compound. I took some pictures of if but because it was dark I was unable to get a good shot but most people would think it's minor but I don't like scratches. While I'm fixing that one I will also buff out the scratches from people dinging the wakeboard in the rear too.

Wade,
I have had some done in the past, and believe me, its NOT an easy thing to do, and not still be noticable. Thats the biotch of having metalflake! Cliff got somebody to do some repairs on my X-30 a while back, but I didn't have any flake repaired. Even though, this guy was pretty good. I'll ask him if he does flake repairs for you. DOG

SkiDog
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Wade the name of the place in Jax. is Excel Fiberglass Works. The guys name is Arron. Cliff says he's the MAN!