PDA

View Full Version : Need car help

6ballsisall
08-26-2007, 10:40 AM
So I posted over on Audiforums.com and never felt like I got any good answers..

My 02' A6 has a shudder type feeling in the steering wheel at speeds between 45-60 mph. It's not horrible but it is there and it annoys me. It's not like an up and down (tire balance issue) you can feel in the steering wheel, its more of a wobble in the steering wheel. I"ve had an alignment, tire balance and rotation, and checked to make sure tires weren't out of round. This all seemed to help a little but certainly hasn't fixed the issue.

What else should I check? Could it be a bent wheel? CV Joints???

Help a brutha out!

BriEOD
08-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Sounds expensive...gotta love European cars out of warranty. Good luck Jeff.

ski_king
08-26-2007, 10:58 AM
How about struts or strut mounts?
I have a weekend project coming up replacing the struct mounts on my daughters Beetle coming up in a few weeks.

6ballsisall
08-26-2007, 11:03 AM
How about struts or strut mounts?
I have a weekend project coming up replacing the struct mounts on my daughters Beetle coming up in a few weeks.

Never thought of that..... have to go see if I can check that out today. I'll tell ya, I love this car but boy do they make it hard to work on!! Little things as small as changing spark plugs are a MAJOR ordeal!! :rolleyes:

bret
08-26-2007, 11:04 AM
How many miles on the car? If you've had the tires checked at a GOOD shop with a good wheel balancer, and the alignment done at the dealer(four wheel alignment), then I might lean toward wheel bearings or warped brake rotors. How old are the tires? If they're older than 5 years, depending on the brand, the rubber might be getting really hard.

I would also call my local dealer and see if they've had any service bulletins on anything like this.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-26-2007, 11:05 AM
JR, your just bragging that you have an Audi. :noface:

8p ;) :D

ski_king
08-26-2007, 11:08 AM
..........boy do they make it hard to work on!! Little things as small as changing spark plugs are a MAJOR ordeal!! :rolleyes:
Tell me about it, I have to go as far as removing windshield wipers and cowl cover to get to the top of the struts on the beetle.

6ballsisall
08-26-2007, 11:08 AM
How many miles on the car? If you've had the tires checked at a GOOD shop with a good wheel balancer, and the alignment done at the dealer(four wheel alignment), then I might lean toward wheel bearings or warped brake rotors. How old are the tires? If they're older than 5 years, depending on the brand, the rubber might be getting really hard.

I would also call my local dealer and see if they've had any service bulletins on anything like this.

78k miles on it. Forgot to add it has brand new brakers and rotors all the way around (ok maybe 3k miles on them)
It was a 4 wheel alignment (car is a Quattro btw) and I feel pretty good about the tire balance. The tires have less than 10k miles on them.

6ballsisall
08-26-2007, 11:10 AM
JR, your just bragging that you have an Audi.

:D

Yikes, we better make sure Gene doesn't see this thread!! :rolleyes:

Strangely enough, this car wasn't very much money. It's in really clean shape and I bought it for 12k. I would have paid that much for an american car of similar miles and creature comforts. It wasn't a hard decision for me.

justinlkgb
08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
i had a jeep that had a similar problem. It turns out it was a busted axle seal. Made the wheel shake after cornering. Thats all i got!! good luck:twocents: :twocents:

rektek
08-26-2007, 01:39 PM
4 drive axles, 2 piece driveline and 11 cv joints what could possible go wrong with a A6 :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have eliminated the tires as a source, just make sure 1 or more tires doesn't have a fix a flat inside.

manual transmission ? does the vibration occur during acceleration and or deceleration ? what brand tires ? does it go away while braking ?

of-course a torn CV axle boot would be a good place to start.
often we road test the vehicle and return and measure the CV joints with a infrared temp sensor, a bad CV will have a much higher operating temp.

based on what you have posted so far I'm guessing a tight outboard CV joint somewhere.

Jeff

JEREMY79
08-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Wish I had an Audi:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
08-26-2007, 04:57 PM
4 drive axles, 2 piece driveline and 11 cv joints what could possible go wrong with a A6 :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have eliminated the tires as a source, just make sure 1 or more tires doesn't have a fix a flat inside.

manual transmission ? does the vibration occur during acceleration and or deceleration ? what brand tires ? does it go away while braking ?

of-course a torn CV axle boot would be a good place to start.
often we road test the vehicle and return and measure the CV joints with a infrared temp sensor, a bad CV will have a much higher operating temp.

based on what you have posted so far I'm guessing a tight outboard CV joint somewhere.

Jeff

Haha!! Thats funny! :D

It's a 5 speed auto. I'll have to drive it again to think about vibration during acceleration. I know it does it while maintaining speed or when you take your foot off the gas and you are in that speed range. It does stop when braking.
The tires aren't anything fancy, they are Continental brand.

Thanks for the advice on the CV boot!

uawaterskier
08-27-2007, 01:54 AM
i thinkin bent wheel. I bent a wheel on my last sports car and at certain speeds I would get vibrations

rektek
08-27-2007, 12:29 PM
i thinkin bent wheel. I bent a wheel on my last sports car and at certain speeds I would get vibrations

bent wheels show up during wheel balancing, I think he has addressed wheel balancing already

6ballsisall
08-27-2007, 01:26 PM
rektek

I think I might be closer to finding the issue. I noticed this morning when I left it took about 15-20 miles before the wobble could be noticed. That makes me believe something has to heat up before it becomes an issue. I am thinking more about the CV joints or possibly even a tire issue at this point. Would this be where you would check first given this information?

rcnjson
08-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Here is my 2 sense...
If you feel it in the steering wheel, the problem is with the front end, if you feel it in the seat, the problem is in the back suspension.
My guess it strut, strut bearing, spring (broken), CV joint, or tie rod ends. Not having experienced this wobble or shaking myself it would be difficult to pinpoint over the internet. The advice you have been given is good, a worn or broken cv boot is easy to detect. You should start there. You just had an alignment so I would guess the tie rod ends are good but I could be wrong. Same goes for the strut, strut bearing, and spring, if the car was just aligned, any issue with these would have (or at least should have) been brought to light.
k

milkmania
08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
different animal, but I had the same problemon the suburban....

drove me nuts! balances, rotations, etc....
found out it was a sticking caliper

uawaterskier
08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
bent wheels show up during wheel balancing, I think he has addressed wheel balancing already
you can balance an egg you know. Just because the machine says it is balanced, doesnt mean it isnt bent. Did they have to put a lot of weight on it?

Rallyspitman
08-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I have the '01 model of the same car, and have the same issue but at 60 - 100mph, and possibly beyond! It's not like an unbalanced wheel - the whole car vibrates, not rally badly but enough to be annoying - Today after a 1000 mile trip I think it is worse, like I can 'hear the vibration' from the front left. The front left rod end gaitor is split and squeaks sometimes so this could be related - interested to know what you find out..........

uawaterskier
08-27-2007, 05:27 PM
I have the '01 model of the same car, and have the same issue but at 60 - 100mph, and possibly beyond! It's not like an unbalanced wheel - the whole car vibrates, not rally badly but enough to be annoying - Today after a 1000 mile trip I think it is worse, like I can 'hear the vibration' from the front left. The front left rod end gaitor is split and squeaks sometimes so this could be related - interested to know what you find out..........
i would sure as heck think it could be related. Do you feel the vibration in your wheel?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Sounds expensive...gotta love European cars out of warranty. Good luck Jeff.
Always with the good advice, nothing subtle about your suggestions.8p
I'm going back to the garage thread....:D

6ballsisall
09-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Well I am leaning more and more towards tires and wheels. I have read that these Quattro's are really hard on tires (good tires only last 25k miles) but really couldn't believe what I was reading. Maybe it is true!

I took it into another tire shop on Saturday and had them do a tire balance and rotation. They also checked the CV joints and found no tears in the boots. Long story short is the shutter in the wheel is now at a different speed. It doesn't "kick in" until 58 mph whereas before it was as low as 45 mph.

This leads me to believe a tire issue, correct? The shop said they tested the wheels and couldn't see any bends, although I cant vouch for how scientific their check was. He said while spinning the wheel on the balancer they place a marking device next to the wheel and see if the wheel bumps the marking device while the wheel is spinning. Does that sound like a good way to test the wheel?

Cloaked
09-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Does that sound like a good way to test the wheel?
Yes to a certain extent.

bucky
09-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I know this will sound simplistic, and I don't want to insult anyone, but it happened on my Miata and my mother's Civic.
The cars came back from the tire shop, where they had put enough air in to seat the tire and then deflated till it was near the maximum on the sidewall. Or close enough. I then had a slight vibration at 50 to 70.
When I checked the pressure with a good air guage, the tires were all 2-3 psi off from each other, and nowhere near what was recommended on the door.
I fixed the pressure, and it fixed the vibration.:twocents:

jlf
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Did the shop use a road force balancer? A wheel can balance correctly but still be out of round and cause a vibration. Pass cars need to have 32lbs of road force or less. Some luxury cars need to be as low as 15 lbs to get rid of vibrations due to these vehicles have more "road feel" . The machine has a roller on it that puts pressure no the tire to replicate the tire on the car. The tech will then check runout of the wheel and the balancer displays the high spots in tire and wheel. If the rim is bent it needs to be replaced but if the tire is slightly out of spec they can match the tire to the wheel by matching high and low spots on the rim and tire. The initial balance does not cost any more but if the tire/wheel needs to be matched there if usually an additional cost.
Just something to maybe ask for when having a new set of tires put on.
BTW You can ask for a print out of what all the wheels had for road force
lance

Hoosier Bob
09-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Quatro? Would that not imply that Quatro wheels are driven? My guess would unfortunately be a locking dif or the differential/trans. Torque converter may apply as well. All four wheels driven there needs to be a slip somewhere. My guess is this is your shudder or vibration. No I did not stay at a Holliday Inn but I am drunk!:o

6ballsisall
09-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Did the shop use a road force balancer? A wheel can balance correctly but still be out of round and cause a vibration. Pass cars need to have 32lbs of road force or less. Some luxury cars need to be as low as 15 lbs to get rid of vibrations due to these vehicles have more "road feel" . The machine has a roller on it that puts pressure no the tire to replicate the tire on the car. The tech will then check runout of the wheel and the balancer displays the high spots in tire and wheel. If the rim is bent it needs to be replaced but if the tire is slightly out of spec they can match the tire to the wheel by matching high and low spots on the rim and tire. The initial balance does not cost any more but if the tire/wheel needs to be matched there if usually an additional cost.
Just something to maybe ask for when having a new set of tires put on.
BTW You can ask for a print out of what all the wheels had for road force
lance

Thanks Lance! I re-read the receipts from both shops I had balancing done and neither appear to have been road force balanced. I have done copious reading over on the audiforums website and it appears these cars, like BMW's are REALLY sensitive to tires and wheels. Guess I need to find me a shop that has a road force balancer before I shell out the dough for new tires. I'd go to the dealership but they are WAY out of my way. :rolleyes: