PDA

View Full Version : Teaching little ones the ways of the water

6ballsisall
08-25-2007, 05:35 PM
My 2 year old LOVES the water and does a great job pretending to swim etc... She's extremely comfortable around the water (which will be great for her first skiing next year! :D ) However, she hasn't quite figured out the art of holding your breath underwater.... She'll freely let me dunk her head completely underwater and thinks its fun but she won't hold her breath! I've read that if you blow in their face right before you dunk them that they'll hold their breath but its not working. Any suggestions to help her learn to hold her breath when she goes underwater??

Prostar in Michigain
08-25-2007, 05:51 PM
have a hold your breath contest

BriEOD
08-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, Jeff pay the money and put her in swimming lessons. Otherwise, you will end up being the "bad guy." Our 2 (soon to be 3) yr old has been taking lessons for about 6 months. His progress has been remarkable. He has 1 15min session 1 on 1 per week. It doesn't hurt that we have a pool in our backyard to reinforce his skills. At almost three he can jump into the pool, swim across the width of the pool (not length) with his face in the water the entire time, and than pull himself up and out of the pool unassisted.

6ballsisall
08-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, Jeff pay the money and put her in swimming lessons. Otherwise, you will end up being the "bad guy." Our 2 (soon to be 3) yr old has been taking lessons for about 6 months. His progress has been remarkable. He has 1 15min session 1 on 1 per week. It doesn't hurt that we have a pool in our backyard to reinforce his skills. At almost three he can jump into the pool, swim across the width of the pool (not length) with his face in the water the entire time, and than pull himself up and out of the pool unassisted.

Good thinking. She's enrolled in lessons but they don't start until mid September.
I am really pumped that she likes the water so much. I take her to the pool every weekend both days and I have to drag her home after several hours. She loves boats so I am thinking next year she'll really be about skiing and the water. :cool:

ProTour X9
08-25-2007, 06:14 PM
have a hold your breath contest

We still do that, I held my breath 1:55 (mintutes). The key is calm your body down, and take deep breaths before hand.

Leroy
08-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Ditto, swimming, snow skiing, etc, put them in a class.

MarkP
08-25-2007, 09:05 PM
The lessons worked great for my first two.. Our baby was having the same “holding your breath issue“. The baby hasn’t been to toddler lessons yet but this year in the kiddy pool part of our community pool I encouraged her to put her face in the water and praised her when she did, (about the same procedure as the “daddy and me” toddler swimming lesson starts with). It didn’t take long. Soon she was showing anyone that walked past what she could do..
Good luck man.. AND have fun with it!!http://www.wdisneyw.com/forums/images/smilies2004/swim.gif!

wade95
08-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Haven't invested in lessons, but my 4 yr old is coming along nicely with help. What has worked for me (and by luck no less) is that he has been able to play w/kids a little older than him that can swim. This has helped him alot. Also, for some reason with goggles on he is more comfortable going under on his own. I think part of that is he throws something to the bottom and then is told to get it. I'm still a "nervous nelly" though when he's in a pool.

6ballsisall
08-26-2007, 10:00 AM
The lessons worked great for my first two.. Our baby was having the same “holding your breath issue“. The baby hasn’t been to toddler lessons yet but this year in the kiddy pool part of our community pool I encouraged her to put her face in the water and praised her when she did, (about the same procedure as the “daddy and me” toddler swimming lesson starts with). It didn’t take long. Soon she was showing anyone that walked past what she could do..
Good luck man.. AND have fun with it!!http://www.wdisneyw.com/forums/images/smilies2004/swim.gif!

You bet I am! I wish I could take her to the pool everyday! She played in it for almost 3 hours yesterday and I had to drag her home. I think she might be part fish. :love:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-26-2007, 10:30 AM
:eek3: HOLY ****!!!!!!! now THAT is amazing! Congrats Bri! that is just outstanding! I had no idea kids that age could swim at that level. Kudos to you for that! :toast: WOW! :)

08-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Ditto, swimming, snow skiing, etc, put them in a class.
Recently My parents were thinking of enrolling me in a class too, but I have no idea what for......:o :confused:

6ballsisall
08-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Recently My parents were thinking of enrolling me in a class too, but I have no idea what for......:o :confused:

Want me to take a crack at that one????:rolleyes: 8p

BriEOD
08-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks Don, he is doing really well. Actually, yesterday he jumped into the pool with a noodle (foam flotation device 3-4ft long 2" in diameter) between his legs and it bucked him as he went in. He went to the bottom of the pool (about 3ft in the shallow end). He pushed off, kicked-kicked, made it to the side and pulled himself up, and "monkey walked (hand over hand) to the steps. He was a little shaken up but I was really pleased. I was obviously right there and watched to ensure he was going to make it. He will be three next week.

6ballsisall
08-26-2007, 10:58 AM

08-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Want me to take a crack at that one????:rolleyes: 8p
GO For it!:D

08-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks Don, he is doing really well. Actually, yesterday he jumped into the pool with a noodle (foam flotation device 3-4ft long 2" in diameter) between his legs and it bucked him as he went in. He went to the bottom of the pool (about 3ft in the shallow end). He pushed off, kicked-kicked, made it to the side and pulled himself up, and "monkey walked (hand over hand) to the steps. He was a little shaken up but I was really pleased. I was obviously right there and watched to ensure he was going to make it. He will be three next week.
You should be proud Bri, thats impressive. Sounds like the little guy has a good handle on swimming. it sounds like he is able to react to a situation without panick, and thats the key to so many things. Great job!:)

BriEOD
08-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, she does. She likes to wakeboard, kneeboard and started skiing this year. In fact, her second time on skis she kicked one off and slalomed around the lake. Pretty cool.

She was pissed that we sold the boat. However, we will get a new one soon.

BriEOD
08-26-2007, 11:12 AM
You should be proud Bri, thats impressive. Sounds like the little guy has a good handle on swimming. it sounds like he is able to react to a situation without panick, and thats the key to so many things. Great job!:)
I was...I was.

Leroy
08-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Probably pretty much any class will help you UMP....I mean that in a good way ;)

TX.X-30 fan
08-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Left that one high and right over the plate there UMP. :D Good thing its morning or the resident drunks would have carved you up. 8p