PDA

View Full Version : Tristar overheating!!!

hunter15
08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
hi i have a 1988 Tristar 220. last weekend at the lake my siren began to go off as the engine quickly escalated in heat, and the exhaust manifolds became very hot to the touch. i was told by a man at the marina that more than likely my water pump was out. is there a way that i may check to see if there is simply somehting clogging the line? and if the pump is infact the problem, can i simply change out the impeller?

LakePirate
08-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Did you check the impeller?

I know simple question, but that could be it.

You can also pull the hose from the raw water intake and check to see if it is clogged.

There is a triangle shaped compartment on top of the engine, it should have a couple of hoses attached to it. Open it and take out the thermostat. Sometimes they get stuck closed. If it doesn't overheat with the thermostat out your problem has been solved.

hunter15
08-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I know this sounds ignorant... But my underlying problem is that I simply dont know how to check the impellor. Also I dont know if it matters as far as the thermastat but my engine is a mercruiser.

phecksel
08-26-2007, 05:03 AM
I know this sounds ignorant... But my underlying problem is that I simply dont know how to check the impellor. Also I dont know if it matters as far as the thermastat but my engine is a mercruiser.
LakePirate indicated how to find the impeller housing. There are four small screws holding the cover on. It can be difficult to remove it, or it can be easy, I've had both cases. Either just buy a new impeller or take it to the dealer and have one installed. They need to be replaced on a fairly regular basis. In general, it should be a quick replacement.

88 PS190
08-26-2007, 05:09 AM
With the engine running if you feel the cover plate of the Raw Water Pump, it should be cool, if it gets hot for sure your raw water impeller needs replacing.

hunter15
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
thanks for all yalls help... i pulled the impeller and it was shredded!

LakePirate
08-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Problem solved.

You said your engine is a mercruiser?