PDA

View Full Version : Prostar LT-1 vs standard engine

jjdiv
08-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I would appreciate opinions on the LT-1 option vs the standard engine offered in the 95-97 Prostars.

Is the LT-1 dependable? I'm concerned about the AL head.

Thanks!:)

Jim@BAWS
08-24-2007, 06:45 PM
No need for concerns about the LT-1 w/ Alum Heads. Only if it has been run it in SALT. That is where problems occur

Jim@BAWS

BrianM
08-24-2007, 07:08 PM
LT-1 is a great motor but as Jim says if it will ever see or has ever seen salt problems can arise with the aluminum heads. Also an overheat could be more of an issue. Great motor with lots of power.

That being said I prefer the TBI. It is a great solid iron block and heads motor with plenty of power and none of the little finicky LT-1 things like the aluminum heads, dual t-stats, weak throttle return springs, reverse water pumps etc.

ProTour X9
08-24-2007, 07:27 PM
The LT-1 is one of the best engines MC used.

JimN
08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Saltwater, big-time overheating and people working on them who don't know what is different between an LT-1 and other motors are about the only things that are really bad for them. Really smooth running and nice power.

ride
08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
The LT-1 is an awsome engine (although I say that while I'm having an altitude-tuning issue with mine). I've owned both a '94 TBI and my '95 LT-1, both with the 1:1 Trans. and found the LT-1 to have way more pep hands down in all throttle positions. However, having said that, I've also skied the course behind a '91 PS 190 with a carbed 351/powerslot pkg. that had a kick-a$% holeshot.
Conclusion: As for issues, my LT-1 has had no more issues than my TBI had (w/exception to my altitude adj.). Dunno about the saltwater issue and never intend to find out, as I'm sure Jim and Brian are right. JimN & BrianM are right about the overheat, but if you're good to check your gages on occasion or more, you should be fine. As for power though, if I went back to a TBI, I'd insist on the Powerslot tranny. Just my $.02....
Good luck.

ride
08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
... and people working on them who don't know what is different between an LT-1 and other motors are about the only things that are really bad for them...

Definitly talking about me....:)

Flatwaterfooter
08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Have had mine for ten years without a problem