PDA

View Full Version : Lake Martin, AL

deployedjosh
08-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Anyone have experience with this lake? We're thinking of renting a house next weekend and would love to hear good things from those who have been there. It looks like a nice resort type area with lots of rental houses on the water with boat parking. On a side note, anything special to do to the boat if it will be in the water for 2 or 3 days straight? Thanks!

Josh
99 X-Star

bxroads
08-24-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm from south Alabama but haven't been there in forever. I work with a few guys that own places up there. From what they say the water is to low to risk it and they've had places there forever and know the lake. Neither has water touching their dock. Give me an address and I'll get info on that area.

billr
08-24-2007, 08:42 PM
The water level is way down this year. We were there in June, and could not get the boat to the pier. The saving factor was the floating dock at the end of the pier. If you are not sure about how much water is available where you are going to be, you might want to check it out further. Great place though, we've been the last 5 years.

billr
08-24-2007, 09:05 PM
In answer to your question about leaving the boat in the water for a few days, the lake as a whole is very clean. there is still a lot of deep water, and the shallow spots have been marked by bouys.

deployedjosh
08-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I noticed the water level issue, but the houses we were looking at are advertised as "year round deep water". Hopefully, this turns out to be the case. I'd hate to plan a ski weekend and not get to ride. Thanks again!

billr
08-25-2007, 12:06 PM
We have seen the "year round deep water" homes, but tha does not mean they have water at their dock. The Tallapoosa River is is up to 140' or more in certian areas, but if you can't get to your boat, what's the use.

georgea0731
08-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Feel free to call us 770 634 5437, we have a place off the water near Dadeville/Smith Mountain area, but live in Georgia. The water is way down, but if you stay in the main water and take it easy, you should be o.k. The problem we're running into is finding a ramp that is still useable. We used DARE park on Young's Ferry Road last week and it was still safe, but its down another 3-4 inches since we were there. We did not go this weekend. We drove by Wind Creek state park to the north, near Alexander City and the public ramps were still being used, but again that was last weekend.
To the north, just south of Wind Creek State park, there is a slalom course that was still useable last weekend. The course west of pleasure point marina is not useable last time we were there.
We will be in Florida Panama City or we'd try to be more help. We see a few MC's on the water, but we stay back in the Sandy Creek area most of the time.
Best wishes, good luck

O2BESOHUGE
08-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Im From There...you May Want To Change Plans....you Cant Even Launch A BoAt Right Now. Water Is 20-25 Feet Out From Every Pier. Folks Are Way Pissed And Many Are Selling Their Places. WHY DO YOU THINK THE FOLKS ARE RENTING OUT THEIR HOUSE? NORMAL CONDITIONS ARE TERRIBLE FOR SKIING TOO. WAY TOO CHOPPY AND ROUGH. AND ANY INBOARD LIKE A NAUTIQUE OR MASTERCRAFT GETS BEAT UP ON THAT LAKE

LAKE JORDAN IS WHERE YOU WANT TO SKI

O2

uawaterskier
08-26-2007, 10:31 PM
As others have stated, the water is way down. I've been there when it was at a normal level, and it was nice. It probably has the cleanest water in Alabama

LakePirate
08-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Lake Wedowee is the lake above Martin on the Tallapoosa river. My brother lives there and builds sea walls around the lake and is in constant contact with Alabama Power. They are estimating that Wedowee will be a foot below winter pool by this weekend. That has rendered all of the boat ramps unusable around us as well as making it impossible to get boats on or off of floating lifts. If possible save your money and wait for a hurricane to fill it all back up. I know that sounds bad for those who may be in the path, but we sure could use the rain.

deployedjosh
08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks to all for the great (but disheartening) info. I guess we'll look at taking a trip there next year if the waters rise.

causewayskiier
08-29-2007, 06:17 PM
billr,

Are you a slalom course skiier, if so let me know maybe we can get in a set sometimes. I have a PS205 and am in Mobile. We ski on Saturdays and sometimes after work on weekdays.

billr
08-29-2007, 10:48 PM
If you had asked me that 20 years ago I would have said yes. I do more teaching the grandkids how to ski ( and wakeboard ) than skiing myself. I think I've only skied once this year! Thanks for the offer.