PDA

View Full Version : Fuel line problem

dmlakl
08-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi all,
I have a 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 205 with a 351 ci 285 hp Ford Indmar engine. Last week for the first time I experienced power lose issues that corrected with my changing the fuel filter (which had never been changed in 14 seasons!) and adding de icer to the gas tank. I subsequently put about 5 hrs on the boat without any problems.

Today while at barefoot speed/rpm the
boat suddenly dropped speed to eventually idle and
then died. Subsequent attempts to restart the boat
were unsuccessful. The boat acted like it had ran
out of gas, but we had more than a third of tank. So I believe this a fuel line problem.

Could this be due to a faulty fuel pump? Clogged line? There is no gas in the clear plastic tube, but the boat is not running, so I don't know if that means anything. Also, I have never changed the element in this mechanical fuel pump either. Could that be the answer?

In any case, any advice in how I should check this problem out? I am more than three hours away from a Mastercraft dealer and I would like to get the boat up and running for Labor Day.

School Skier
08-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I just went through some fuel system problems on my 97 190. Did you check your fuel tank for bebrie? They found debrie and water in my tank. I think the crud in the fuel tank got into my fuel pump and wrecked it. There are many things that can be wrong in a fuel system. The diagnosing takes time. My problem was intermitten so it was hard to dectect. We ran our boat about an hour since it was repaired hope to get it on the water on saturday.
I also use a top tier gas and filter it before it goes into the tank with a Mr. Funnel which will take out debrie and water.
Good Luck!

JimN
08-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Open the gas cap and pour some gas into the carb. If it starts and continues to run without any hiccups or stopping, it would probably be due to a clogged vent or vent line. If it was really hot where you were, it could be vapor lock. If the fuel filter is the canister type, like an oil filter, remove it and see if it's clogged, full or empty. If it's empty, remove the fuel pickup tube that's in the tank. You'll probably want to slide the tank out to see into the chamber where it lives. If you see debris, like leaf material or seeds (I have seen those in more than one tank), you'll need to clean it out, clear out the pickup tube and clear out the fuel line from the tank to the pump. Is there a metal bowl on the pump with a strap below it? If that's the filter you changed, check it now.

dmlakl
08-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I have done since my last post:
1. I replaced the fuel line filter again.
2. I took the old fuel pump filter/cartridge out of the fuel pump and cleaned the fuel pump bowel (the pump filter/cartridge was very dirty). 3. I put the bowl back on the pump without the filter/cartridge (I was told that if I had a separate fuel filter/water separator I could run the engine without the fuel pump filter/cartridge.)
4. I filled the tank with new gas (from the same land station I have been getting my gas from for the last 14 years).
5. The boat started right up (on land with a fake lake and no load)
6. I put the boat back into the water, but when accelerating it still bogs down and surges (with a load - propeller spinning). That is the tach goes: 1000 to 2000 to 3000 back to 2000 (and feels like it is going to die out) but then kicks back in and accerates quickly to 4000.
7. Also, I did not see any gas in the fuel pump clear plastic sight tube with the boat running.
8. So I put it back on the trailer and it sits in the garage.

Where do I go now? Any suggestions?
thanks

JimN
08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Can you hook up a fuel tank for an outboard, directly to the fuel pump? Fresh gas, prime it, run it and see if it's better. Otherwise, make sure the fuel pump diaphragm isn't leaking. If it leaks into the motor, bad things happen. Smell the oil and if it has a gasoline odor, your diaphragm is bad.

Do you have a primer bulb? If not, get one and put it at the end of the line, where it attaches to the tank and disconnect the line from the fuel pump. Prime it and make note of how hard it is to squeeze, and see if the gas comes out easily or if it seems to be restricted.

I would still be looking into the pump- it needs to be checked for leaking and see if the outlet is clogged.