PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing the correct boat

clubrcr
08-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I know this probably has been discussed a million times, but I need help. I am 46 and have a 6 year son. I grew up with a Mastercraft and have skiied at the tournament level. I also used to barefoot and occassionally trick ski.

Several years ago I owned a Prostar 205. This boat was my third Mastercraft. I felt it was a good boat, but didn't have the room of some of the newer models. Now I am looking for another Mastercraft and felt a wakeboard board might be better, I would like to teach my son wakeboarding as well as have a boat I can ski behind. I have been reading article about the wakeboard boats (non mid engine) having a smmoth wake at high speeds.

Also, although I live in Florida, it is getting to the end of the season, would it better for me to wait and look for left over new boats or try to buy a used boat now.

Can anyone give me advice before I pull the trigger. It woudl be appreciated!!!

92 190 PS
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
X-9 is a good option for roominess and balance to the wake. My brother has one and there is a ton of room and the slalom wake is pretty decent considering the size of the boat.

The X-14 is the new version and word is it has an even better slalom wake that is more similar to the 197. If you go V-Drive your going to sacrifice the slalom wake. The X-1 only has a 90" beam and I'd imagine has an OK wake for slalom, but not something your going to take to the course. If I were you and still wanted to get a slalom run in now and then I'd check out the new X-14. Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide....

92 190 PS
08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
One quick addition...I see you barefoot a little. We've found that even with the MCX my brothers X-9 is just barely there on the top end for barefooting. May want to take that into consideration if you go that route...Good luck.

MarkP
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh, We can help!! Its what we do best. (help others spend money)
Do you have a price range in mind?

mccobmd
08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
I looked at this when I bought my X1. The X2 has more room but probably a little bigger slalom wake than the X1. The X1 (205 hull) has been used on the course but you have to get the speed above 32mph which is faster than most recreation skiers. I have loved the X1 and feel it is by far the best boat for the money no only for a MC but period. I've had 8 adults on board and the 310HP did great. Would need the 350 to barefoot. I considered the X7 but only rated for 7 people. Good luck.

sunsational
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
You'll get lots of opinions here as well as plenty of useful knowledge. My vote is a X7 if you don't need the room to carry many people, X9 if you need more room. Have fun looking.

Lennyp04
08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Our 07 X-1 has a phenominal wakeboard wake with full ballast at 22. Clean defined lip and nice solid gradient. I pull my dad at 26.6 for skiing and there is still a little hop. Also the X-1 is basically the Prostar 205V just with tower and ballast and whatever else they put on the X- series. We also have the 310hp engine and it rips and roars just about the same MPH as my friends X-30 with the MCX.

swatguy
08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
If youre looking for a V-drive wakeboat that slaloms pretty well as stated the X-1 would be a great recommendation and get my vote as well. Same hull as the ol Prostar 205 D-drive just with more storage and the engine in the back. So it will have a bit more of a bump in the wake ay ski speeds, but again same hull as your old 205. YOu just get a more storage friendly, sociable cockpit, and a better wake producing machine for boarding. Still arguably the best shaped wake in the MC line for boarding. Can't really go wrong

Depending on how much room your are looking for the X2 would also be a good choice. Little more room that the X1

trickskier
08-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Our 07 X-1 has a phenominal wakeboard wake with full ballast at 22. Clean defined lip and nice solid gradient. I pull my dad at 26.6 for skiing and there is still a little hop. Also the X-1 is basically the Prostar 205V just with tower and ballast and whatever else they put on the X- series. We also have the 310hp engine and it rips and roars just about the same MPH as my friends X-30 with the MCX.
I agree with above. I had a 98 ProStar 190 and purchased the X-1 for the room and versatility...........Best MasterCraft I have owned.......:D

east tx skier
08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
If you used to be a tournament skier, my honest opinion is that you won't be satisfied with the slalom wake or pull from a vdrive. I've skied behind the only tournament approved vdrive (for class c tounaments) just this year and it was lackluster compared to what I'm used to (and you are probably 100x the skier I am).

If you're really after more room, many of the newer direct drives will have a lot more than the 205 you used to own. With enough ballast, you'd probably be able to taylor the wakeboard wakes to meet your son's needs/wants in that department for years to come.

In the end, it's hard to have the best of both worlds. I think it's best to figure out the features that are most important to you and go with the boat that has them.

/P.S. It'd be really cool if you decided you wanted another 205 (see below). Interior room is overrated! :)

clubrcr
08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
You guys are great...It's a pain getting older, if I were younger, it would be easier choice. It seems that most of the young guys are doing wakeboarding and that makes me lean more toward that end. and since I really want my family to enjoy the boat, it seems an X type boat is the answer.

By the way, I remember when I bought my first Mastercraft, I had sticker shock. Now that I am older and have a little money, I am still amazed at how expensive some of these boats are.

I wouldn't look at any other boat and I know they are worth the money, but I don't know how younger people afford them..(No offense to the younger guys on the board)

east tx skier
08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the forum by the way! I'll tell you what, click the "For Sale" link in my signature. If you're not completely satisfied with your read, unlike pretty much anything else, it didn't cost you anything.

clubrcr
08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the forum by the way! I'll tell you what, click the "For Sale" link in my signature. If you're not completely satisfied with your read, unlike pretty much anything else, it didn't cost you anything.

I saw your boat the day you listed it and was tempted, your boat has all right stuff and is beautiful. My only concern is the space. The last Prostar we had was almost too small, now that my little boy will most likely have friends to go out on the water with us and sometimes that might include another parent, I am worried about space.

dmayer84
08-24-2007, 03:46 PM
but I don't know how younger people afford them..(No offense to the younger guys on the board)

Start saving before High School

east tx skier
08-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time. We've skied off the pylon with two in the bow and three across the observer seat and jump seat plus a driver. Wake suffers a little with that many people, but it can be done.

Pull the back seat and there's more room for gear, etc. If you're cruising, I think the most that would comfortably fit in the boat is 8, even though the capacity plate says 10. That's two in the bow, two in the observer seat and jump seat, a driver, and three in the rear seat.

Having that many people in the boat at once has honestly never come up. Heck, we're going closed bow if that says anything about our thoughts on space.

endl
08-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Clubrcr, what size boat are you thinking? All the X series boats are nice they each have their own drawing card.

tbd01 has a X-1, I was able to ride in last weekend and I was extremely impressed with the space, ride and performance.

My Son is 8 and has gotten into Wakeboarding and loves it. Its a great way to spend time with them.

Lennyp04
08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Start saving before High School

Or you could try to convince your dad for a year that MC was the right choice. Thats what worked for me.

OhioX14
08-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I know this will sound like a biased opinion given my username and avatar, however, the uses you describe scream X14. Hands down this is the best crossover boat Mastercraft has in current production if you want the room, handling, and wakeboard capability without abandoning a great slalom wake. Not taking anything away from any of the other fine boats mentioned here but this boat hands down has the best slalom wake other than the 190 and 197 but has a lot more room and a great boat for your son to learn to board behind..

Good luck with your hunt. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever model you choose.

mccobmd
08-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I know this will sound like a biased opinion given my username and avatar, however, the uses you describe scream X14. Hands down this is the best crossover boat Mastercraft has in current production if you want the room, handling, and wakeboard capability without abandoning a great slalom wake. Not taking anything away from any of the other fine boats mentioned here but this boat hands down has the best slalom wake other than the 190 and 197 but has a lot more room and a great boat for your son to learn to board behind..

Good luck with your hunt. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever model you choose.

It's OK to be biased pretty much everyone on here loves the boat they have for their own reasons which is why we all recommend you really evaluate how you will use it.

Yellow X9
08-24-2007, 05:27 PM
X-9 works well for me...plenty of room, boat tops out pretty much @ 45mph. I foot at 38mph so it works well for me. I'am no pro at wakeboarding, but the wake works great for me, plus the boat has Mid & rear sacs, so the wake is adjustable