PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.....Questions about X15 and/or X2

CVandEVD
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Hello Everyone

A good friend of mine (ProTour X9) introduced me to this forum a couple months ago, and I have been a lurker, but I now have decided to join the board. I am new to MasterCraft, but not to the inboard world of boating. We are currently in the market for a new boat, and really like the looks of the new X15/215 or X2/200. What are everyone's honest opinions on these boats, and how are the wakeboard/slalom wakes, what engine fits these boats best, how do they handle chop, etc etc etc. Thanks in advance for the answers, and I must say, even though i'm not a MC owner yet (KEY WORD IS YET), I have learned quite a bit from just lurking around this site, keep up the good work!

Cody

SkiDog
08-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey there Cody, and welcome to the jungle! I personally have a new 07X2, and I can tell ya, this is my 4th MC, and by far the best! Check it out in the X2 thread, first pics. I do all types of skiing with it and have found it to be the PERFECT all around ski boat!

ProTour X9
08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey Cody, I finally got you to post on here. I'm sure we can convince you to get the boat thats right for you. (MasterCraft of course!!) Guys, work your magic, to get him into a new boat!! Keep posting man, you'll catch the fever.

CVandEVD
08-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the quick reply skidog, that is a sweet boat you've got. And Doug, I think i've already caught the fever.

TheOneandOnly
08-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Cody-X2 is going to handle choppy water very well. Also 2nd that X2 is an awesome boat. Welcome to the expensive hobbie :)

BriEOD
08-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Cody,

Welcome aboard...I am a ProStar guy so I am not in a good position to give advice. Although, I rode in an 04' X-Star over the weekend at Jim's. That thing was a beast.

ProTour X9
08-23-2007, 10:08 PM
He's considering an X15 more than a X2, got some info on that?

BriEOD
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Saw one once at the dealer as I was making my way over to see the PS 197s. Does that count?:D

ProTour X9
08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Saw one once at the dealer as I was making my way over to see the PS 197s. Does that count?:D

It doesn't even know its ABC's!!!8p

BumbleX
08-23-2007, 10:17 PM
My wife and I had a rare chance to test drive the 07 x2 and 07 x15 back to back when we were checking them out. Both boats have a kick-arse ride and make great wakes.

I would say the biggest difference between the two was nimble-ness... If i had to relate them to cars to paint a picture... x2 = subaru wrx and x15 = nissan 350z (price notwithstanding of course). The wake on the X-15 was a little more broad, but well defined and clean as is the wake on the x2.

The x2 is a little more narrow and shorter so the ride is slightly more abrupt than the x15. Still, both boats take an oncoming wake with ease at appropriate speed. It seems kind of counter-intuitive given the design of the x2 hull but i was really very surprised when i drove it at how calm and responsive it felt.

The x15 is longer and wider and has more visual space in the seating area and room for 2 more butts technically. The ride feels solid only requiring a little more input to get moving than the x2.

Thats my 2c... :-) To note, we picked the x15... mostly because we liked the color better, and because my wife liked the bow on the x15 better... I could have gone either way personally.

Cheers!

CVandEVD
08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks everyone on the fast replys! I too like the X15 a little better then the X2...Just because it's bigger....What engine do you reccomend, the MCX...or how does that 400 do? Does anyone have one

BumbleX
08-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone on the fast replys! I too like the X15 a little better then the X2...Just because it's bigger....What engine do you reccomend, the MCX...or how does that 400 do? Does anyone have one

The x15 we have has the mcx... plenty o powa... x2 had the same motor when we tested it out. But... if you get a good deal on a boat and it has the bigger motor, you know what they say... theres no replacement for displacement... ;)

CVandEVD
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Exactly. Finally someone agrees that you can never have enough horsepower...I just wish some people on our lake would agree to that instead of snapping back "YOU DON'T NEED 400 HP BLA BLA BLA"- Doug, i'm sure you know who I am referring to here

ProTour X9
08-23-2007, 10:36 PM
"YOU DON'T NEED 400 HP BLA BLA BLA"- Doug, i'm sure you know who I am referring to here

My relatives..................................:noface : :noface: ;) :toast:

H20BOY
08-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I went with the X-15 do to the room and ride. It has the MCX, no problems with power, but if money was not object of course "go big or go home".

jcbatt
08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
We're very happy with our X-15. Coming from a long line of Malibu Wakesetter VLX's before this boat. This one is for sale, but only so we can get an 08 X-15. Properly weighted (factory balast plus 8+ people in the boat), the wake is very impressive for wakeboarding.

CVandEVD
08-23-2007, 11:06 PM
We're coming off of a Ski Centurion Elite V- Drive, it's a great boat, but we like to try different things, and I think MasterCraft is the only way to go, their Gelcoat and decals are just gorgeous.

ProTour X9
08-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Also, you mostly board, and cruise. But I'd like to try the ski wake if you get one.

CVandEVD
08-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Don't worry Doug, you'll get a pull

sand2snow22
08-24-2007, 01:44 AM
If you ski, get the wakeplate to flatten the wake a little, plus it might help shape the wakeboarding wake a little, too.......

Tough choice, will the X-15 fit in your garage? I would say the X-15 has a better wakeboard wake and wakesurf wake, but not as good ski wake b/c it's wider & heavier.....

Slight edge to the X2 for ski wake, boarding wake isn't quite as good. Surf wake is great, but X-15 has a slight advantage properly weighted.....

swatguy
08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I would also lean towards the X-15 based on the boarding wake. I am a boarder though. No skis for me. The wake on the X-2 can be touchy at times. Don't get me wrong its a great wake, but the X-15's wake is just a bit more solid and the X-15 cockpit and bow to me are much more user friendly than the X2. I ain't hating on the X2, but just if I were in the market and after demoing both the X-15 would win hands down in my eyes for my boarding needs. Also little better surf wake on the X15

I am very familiar with the Centurion line. Not sure what yr Elite V you had/have, but you will notice that the Mc will not suck up the chop like the Centurions do with their deep V's and ICS construction. The Centurrion's ride in rough water in almost unbeatable. You will notice that the wake on the X2 and X-15 will be much more user freindly. due to their deep V's their wakes are very weight sensitive side to side. You will also need much more weight in the MC than you would in yuor Centurion to produce a similar wake. Due again to the deep V-s in the Centurions they sink very easily with weight, where as the Mc hulls are much flatter requiring a llittle more weight to sink it down.

Just wanted to give you some comparisions in the boats so that you knew what to expect. Enjoy and demo both and decide which is best for you. I again will agree say get as big as an engine as you can, you will get your money back out of it if you ever decide to upgrade later.

ProTour X9
08-24-2007, 08:40 PM
You're saying a Ski Centurion will ride better than a MasterCraft????

sludema
08-24-2007, 10:21 PM
We also test drove both the X2 and X15. Both with and without the attitude adj plates. For my family (3 kids) and their friends, X15 worked better with a lot more usable room. On big water, the X15 handles the chop much better. Test drove MCX and new LY6. No comparison. LY^ makes a positive difference. Has pull all the way through the revs.

Bottom line the Plate and LY6 are the best options a man can buy. Also tested two diff props, went w/an ACME.

We love our X15, glad I made that choice. The plate helps huge as far as attitude of the boat. Really can push the bow down in the water. Wake is much better for boarding than skiing, but skiing is ok.

CVandEVD
08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
THanks again everyone! This is helping quite a bit. This has got to be the most intellegent forum on the web boating wise.

swatguy
08-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Pro Tour X9

Yup, Thats exactly what I am saying in rough waterconditions/and cruising around the lake.

The Centurions knife through the chop and rough water like no other. They have a very deep v and they are reinforced in just the right spot to prevent minimal flex in the hull when cutting through the chop. You barely even feel the d-ups and triple ups in their boats. It's a nice design idea, but you loose some walkway space for a sac. They are rock solid in that respect. Also can't touch their surf wake. That is tops as well. I didn't say they handle better, are built better, or perform better. Just said they handle rough water a ton better than Mc's and arguably ever yother to MFG out there (there are a couple mfg's that have turned to deep v designed in the past 2 yrs). That is a huge selling point for some people. I still own an MC just giving some insight knowing Centurions very very well and spending tons of time in them and behind them. My good friend used to own a Centurion dealership. Just giving the gentelman the honest reviews of what to expect when he goes for test ride. :) I am sure after he gets in and test drives an MC, and then gets behind one we all know he will never own another brand;)

ProTour X9
08-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Hehe yup, I'm impressed with Centurion, I have several friends who have them. My guess would be that they carry their V out to the transom of the boat. Cody has the 21ft version.

But DON'T get me on moumba

swatguy
08-25-2007, 11:53 AM
That is exactly what they do. But dooing that also gives some cons. Especially to the wake. It makes the boat very sensitive side to side with weight. So a half of a person in the wrong spot can washi it out.

I forgot to add in my statements that this is purely in their wakeboat V-drive line. I can tell you the old Lapointe's don't don't suck up the chop that well :) and people tend to get wet. I always forget that there are a ton of skiers on the board here. So forgive me for that. I am a has been in that dept.

As to the Moombas HEHEHEH Here goes a can of worms for sure. But they have redesigned their bread and butter wakeboat the LSV. It also know has a huge drop keel design and is very friendly in rough water and chop. Not nearly as sensitive as A Centurion in the wake dept side to side, but it's still missing alot of things, I mean it is a Moomba, but ride wise that particular boat is pretty much a Supra and is a standout in the Moomba line as the XLV has a hull with same concept. Still get what you pay for in the end no matter how hard they try to deny that.

I will also add to get the Wake plate on the X-15 makes the boat that much more enjoyable

Jet
08-25-2007, 05:58 PM
We had to choose between X2 and X15, and went with the X15 for the additionnal room and stability in the water and for choppy conditions.

We have now over 50 hours on it since last May and we tested it in tough conditions with winds over 20 knots, and the boat handles very well.

As we have young kids, X15 was the logical choice. Absolutely no regrets, with the plate and MCX, and the eisenglass option as well for colder conditions.

CVandEVD
08-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Sounds like the X15 is the way to go....what's the top speed with the standard 4-blade and MCX, and if anyone knows...with the 400

H20BOY
08-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I can do 48mph with 6 people and gear.

jcbatt
08-26-2007, 09:48 PM
42-43 for me w. stock prop and MCX.

ProTour X9
08-27-2007, 09:15 AM
42-43 for me w. stock prop and MCX.

THAT sounds more realistic.

sludema
08-30-2007, 10:01 PM
We get 43-44 with X15 and LY6. Again we went with the ACME prop and it pulls much better out of the hole, but I think we gave up a few mph on top end. We like it this way better. The plate makes a huge diff on speed too. Just about like trim!

endl
08-31-2007, 12:24 AM
I can do 48mph with 6 people and gear.

Hey we willl see this weekend. 48? Lets run the 45 and the 15.....and see. I thought mine ran 46 untill I put the GPS on it and 42 is my max.....:D

H20BOY
08-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey we willl see this weekend. 48? Lets run the 45 and the 15.....and see. I thought mine ran 46 untill I put the GPS on it and 42 is my max.....:D

I will admit that was what the speedo said. Have not run on GPS.