PDA

View Full Version : Possessed little light that needs to go out

HoustonAttorney
08-23-2007, 03:41 PM
I have a '91 PS 190. It unfortunately and unavoidably sat out uncovered in torrential rains when TS Erin came through last week. Short of dunking the boat underwater, I can't imagine it getting any wetter.

All that to say, after I dried her out as best I could, and put her in storage, I noticed the background light behind (only one) of the accessory rocker switches was illuminated.

I rocked the switch on and off, and it would go out, then mysteriously, like a ghost was under the dash, and the switch in the "off" position, it would illuminate itself.

The lights were all off. No other lights on the boat seem possessed.

What might cause this? Could water bridge a current like that?

How long do you think it would take to run down a battery assuming it stayed on?

All thoughts appreciated, including ghost stories. :D

JimN
08-23-2007, 04:16 PM
It definitely could be moisture causing the light to go on. Is there any place you can keep the boat where the humidity is low, or is air conditioned?

What I think happened is, it was really humid and hot, the temperature dropped and the water condensed inside of the switch, maybe repeated.

HoustonAttorney
08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
So if it is 100 degrees for a few days in a row and moisture evaporates, shouldn't I be ok?

JimN
08-23-2007, 10:17 PM
If the humidity is low enough, maybe. There's almost no air circulation in the switch and it doesn't take much moisture to cause this kind of thing. Do you have an air compressor? Maybe using a blowgun behind the switches can get the moisture out. It's worth a shot. Leave the battery connected so you can see if anything changes.

Monte
08-23-2007, 10:26 PM
If the humidity is low enough, maybe. There's almost no air circulation in the switch and it doesn't take much moisture to cause this kind of thing. Do you have an air compressor? Maybe using a blowgun behind the switches can get the moisture out. It's worth a shot. Leave the battery connected so you can see if anything changes.

Not trying to down your help Jim.. B/c I do have the ultimate respect for your knowledge (truthful statement). But Don't air compressors "shoot" some fine moisture when they operate??? I could be wrong..

A hair dryer, or a lamp of some sorts under the switch would be my suggestion

JimN
08-23-2007, 11:04 PM
They can, but an inline filter should be used any time a good tool is connected, right? This kind is pretty decent, when added to a filter/regulator :http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=38159&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=.

Also, there will be more moisture in the air when the air expands fast. It doesn't need to be at max pressure to do this.

Monte
08-23-2007, 11:12 PM
They can, but an inline filter should be used any time a good tool is connected, right? This kind is pretty decent, when added to a filter/regulator :http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=38159&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=.

Also, there will be more moisture in the air when the air expands fast. It doesn't need to be at max pressure to do this.

Purchased as of a couple secs ago... And thanks... I bet that was the downfall to my nailer....:o :(

JimN
08-23-2007, 11:38 PM
How often do you drain the tank?

Monte
08-24-2007, 01:16 AM
How often do you drain the tank?

Every time I use it:confused:

Leroy
08-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I would guess compressor or hairdryer would work, if it is water inside the switch the hair dryer more likely, if it is water between wires the compressor will work good.

Houston looks like 80-90% humidity.