PDA

View Full Version : Need tires on my SUV

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Alright...

My 2004 GMC Yukon XL needs new shoes.
I have it narrowed down to a couple different brands but am not sure which to go with. The tire size is 265/70/17.

Here is what I am thinking:

1. Goodyear Fortera TripleTred ($180 per tire)
2. Michelin LTX M/S ($180 per tire)
3. Cooper Discoverer ATR ($155 per tire)

The GY TripleTred is the highest ranking tire on Tire rack but after owning the crappy Wrangler HP's I am not sure I can go with GY.

The Michelins are rated OK, but my in-laws have a set on their Yukon XL and love them. They just replaced a set with new. They got 95,000 miles out of the old ones!

The Cooper's were recommended by my tire guy. Don't know much about them other than they are fairly inexpensive.

99% of my driving is on-road. I am looking for a tire that has excellent wet/dry traction. I am not too concerned with ice/snow traction as we do not see much of that here.

What say you?

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
I had the LTX M/S on my Ram. They are an EXCELLENT tire for what you want them for. They have great road manners and as you mentioned, their wear life is really good if you rotate them regularly.
The only downside I noticed is I thought they were a bit poor in Snow and ice conditions. Since thats not a prerequisite for you I'd buy em then.

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks Jeff! :cool:

Also, does anyone know if 275/70/17's will fit? I think a larger tire would fill out the wheel well nicely.

ttu
08-23-2007, 01:05 PM
i would go with the ltx. i had goodyears on my 07 tahoe when i bought them and they didn't last at all.

i have never heard anything good about cooper's. i have had 2 clients have blowouts and tread seperation with them

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-23-2007, 01:06 PM
99% of my driving is on-road. I am looking for a tire that has excellent wet/dry traction. I am not too concerned with ice/snow traction as we do not see much of that here.

What say you?
Firestone Destination LE is a good tire too Beau. I got a set of them for my parents Tahoe. They have similar driving habits. They really like them. Quiet, nice ride, good traction on the road, and goo in winter too. decent price. Consider them too.

captain planet
08-23-2007, 01:07 PM
BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail.

I had these on my last truck under the advise of my good buddy that did a lot of traveling (230K on his Yukon) pulling boats/trailers. He had tried them all and said these lasted the longest.

I had 50K on my truck when I sold it and the tires were good for another 20K.

captain planet
08-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Firestone Destination LE is a good tire too Beau. I got a set of them for my parents Tahoe. They have similar driving habits. They really like them. Quiet, nice ride, good traction on the road, and goo in winter too. decent price. Consider them too.
I had these put on my Suburban because they were on sale. My next set will be the BFGoodrich.

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Do they blowup like the ones I had on my Ranger several years ago during that episode??? :D
I remember that deal worked out GREAT for me! It needed new tires when that all came down and I got a set of some BF's for FREE!! :cool:

OhioX14
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
I've had the Fortera's on my Yukon XL and now have the GY Wrangler RT/S and would highly recommend them. They don't ride quite as soft as the Fortera's but tow better and last longer. I have a good friend who works for GY research and that's the tire he recommended and what he has on his Yukon XL. Now I know why.

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Alright...

My 2004 GMC Yukon XL needs new shoes.

What say you?

I change my reply....... If you're in need of new shoes I think it needs some Crocs. :D

Datdude
08-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I have a friend that owns a tire shop and has pushed Cooper tires on me many times. He has been in the tire biz for 30+ years and swears by them. I looked into them for my last truck, but ended up going with the BFG All Terrain T/A KO as I have had awesome luck with them.

jraben8
08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
A month ago I went through the same thing. I opted for the GY Silent Armor Wranglers - not the RT/S. Coming from BFG AT's I was very hesitant but these GY's are by far the quietest tires that I have ever owned. My BFG's lasted 67K miles. I don't think that the GY's will do that though...

BrianM
08-23-2007, 01:16 PM
The Goodyear TTs are great tires. I have a set of the Assurance TTs (smaller car sizes) on my wifes Outback and they are great. Friend of mine had a set of the Fortura TTs on his SUV and loved them as well. Great tire that does everything well.

You may also want to consider the Pirelli Scorpion STR-A. I put a set of those on my '03 Sierra and they were a great tire. Really nice on the highway with really good wet traction. Very quiet and handled well. They were also substantially less expensive than GY or Mich. I think I paid about $100 each for them. Got great reviews at TireRack.

08-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Do they blowup like the ones I had on my Ranger several years ago during that episode??? :D
I remember that deal worked out GREAT for me! It needed new tires when that all came down and I got a set of some BF's for FREE!! :cool:
Dude, I am SERIOUS! That whole Firestone thing was a bunch of BS anyway. You know how many sets of those I saw run over 75K with NO issues? LOTS. My dad would buy them today if they were still available. In my 12 years in the car biz I never saw even ONE Firestone Radial ATX that was defective. I think that whole thing was propelled by hungry attorneys. :rolleyes:

Besides JR, I would NEVER recommend a tire to anyone if I thought that it would be defective and cause any harm.

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 01:19 PM
...Besides JR, I would NEVER recommend a tire to anyone if I thought that it would be defective and cause any harm.

Except me, right?

HONK!!!!!

ski_king
08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
I got a set of MasterCraft Courser AT's about 8 months ago and couldnt be happier with them. My size was 265/75/16 and the price for 4 was just over $400 mounted, etc. They are made by Cooper.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13479

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16745&stc=1&d=1167427131

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Dude, I am SERIOUS! That whole Firestone thing was a bunch of BS anyway. You know how many sets of those I saw run over 75K with NO issues? LOTS. My dad would buy them today if they were still available. In my 12 years in the car biz I never saw even ONE Firestone Radial ATX that was defective. I think that whole thing was propelled by hungry attorneys. :rolleyes:

Besides JR, I would NEVER recommend a tire to anyone if I thought that it would be defective and cause any harm.

I was just messin with ya UMP.........:rolleyes: :D

tommcat
08-23-2007, 01:28 PM
i can highly recommend the Bridgestone Dueller A/T revo

tommcat
08-23-2007, 01:30 PM

Besides JR, I would NEVER recommend a tire to anyone if I thought that it would be defective and cause any harm.that recall sucked! i've never changed so many tires in my life, and for no reason at all other than a bunch of BS.

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
that recall sucked! i've never changed so many tires in my life, and for no reason at all other than a bunch of BS.

From the consumer end of it I can't complain. ;)

08-23-2007, 01:38 PM
that recall sucked! i've never changed so many tires in my life, and for no reason at all other than a bunch of BS.
Totally agree with you Tommcat. That was the biggest mass ambulance chase I have ever seen. It should be put into Law school text books. :rolleyes: Biggest load of crap I ever saw. Nothing wrong with those tires. A few under inflated related tire failures due to user fault, and every sleazy attorney comes flying out of the woodwork with a business card in their hand and a sideways handshake. :noface:

08-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Except me, right?

HONK!!!!!
HONK!!!!!!!

:D :toast: :dance:

tommcat
08-23-2007, 01:40 PM
From the consumer end of it I can't complain. ;)
nope, the consumers made out great on that one

tommcat
08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Totally agree with you Tommcat. That was the biggest mass ambulance chase I have ever seen. It should be put into Law school text books. :rolleyes: Biggest load of crap I ever saw. Nothing wrong with those tires. A few under inflated related tire failures due to user fault, and every sleazy attorney comes flying out of the woodwork with a business card in their hand and a sideways handshake. :noface:
lawyers are the biggest problem in the world anyway

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:42 PM

FWIW, at the time I had a co-worked w/ an Explorer that had those tires. He did have a blowout that did some minimal damage to the vehicle (no bodily damage though) I don't remember the details of why those tires were supposedly bad. What I do know is this co-worker was as anal as they come about everything and I would bet that his car was well maintained and tires full of air to spec.
Coincidence??? Possibly....

tommcat
08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
FWIW, at the time I had a co-worked w/ an Explorer that had those tires. He did have a blowout that did some minimal damage to the vehicle (no bodily damage though) I don't remember the details of why those tires were supposedly bad. What I do know is this co-worker was as anal as they come about everything and I would bet that his car was well maintained and tires full of air to spec.
Coincidence??? Possibly....the claim was that if you got a flat the vehicle would just magically jump off the road, flip over and kill everyone.

all the testing however proved that unless you did something dumb like jam the brakes and jerk the wheel the vehicle just pulled a little and came to a comfortable stop(just like any other tire would have)

08-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Coincidence??? Possibly....
From what I heard about it, the only tires that failed were under inflated. the ALLEGED cause was supposedly the wrong inlfation specs.

My dad ran 2 sets of them over 75 K himself. best tires he ever had. I ran a set to 60K. no problems. My dad's boss ran one set to over 80K and one set to 100K. no problems. great tires. I had several customers who swore by those tires and ran them far beyond what normal expectancy would be. MANY that ran them for the usual 40 to 50K. I am not saying that some tires didnt fail. sure, any tire can fail. I am sure some did fail legitimately, but many other brands/models fail too. I am just saying the witch hunt that ensued was total BS. Sure, it was cool for lots of people that got free tires. But it was unjustified IMO.

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:51 PM
From what I heard about it, the only tires that failed were under inflated. the ALLEGED cause was supposedly the wrong inlfation specs.

My dad ran 2 sets of them over 75 K himself. best tires he ever had. I ran a set to 60K. no problems. My dad's boss ran one set to over 80K and one set to 100K. no problems. great tires. I had several customers who swore by those tires and ran them far beyond what normal expectancy would be. MANY that ran them for the usual 40 to 50K. I am not saying that some tires didnt fail. sure, any tire can fail. I am sure some did fail legitimately, but many other brands/models fail too. I am just saying the witch hunt that ensued was total BS. Sure, it was cool for lots of people that got free tires. But it was unjustified IMO.

I would probably have to agree with that statement. ;)

08-23-2007, 01:51 PM
the claim was that if you got a flat the vehicle would just magically jump off the road, flip over and kill everyone.
LOL!!! Oh man, I cant help it. The way you phrased that just cracked me up!!! LMAO!!! I am sitting here laughing in my office. :uglyhamme

thanks, I get your point, and agreee, but the phrasing just nailed me! :uglyhamme

tommcat
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
LOL!!! Oh man, I cant help it. The way you phrased that just cracked me up!!! LMAO!!! I am sitting here laughing in my office. :uglyhamme

thanks, I get your point, and agreee, but the phrasing just nailed me! :uglyhamme
:D glad i could spice up your day a bit

08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
I would probably have to agree with that statement. ;)
So we agree to agree then! FAR OUT! just like the ol days! eh, JR? :D 8p BTW, where the hell have the TRU DAT police been?:cool:

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
So we agree to agree then! FAR OUT! just like the ol days! eh, JR? :D 8p BTW, where the hell have the TRU DAT police been?:cool:

TRU DAT brutha UMP!! :cool:

08-23-2007, 01:59 PM
TRU DAT brutha UMP!! :cool:
:toast: Good deal my brutha!

ALright then, I will have my people contact your people, they will do lunch, ink the agreement, and expense the entire transaction to Ted Underhill's AMEX card. :D Just like the ol' days from back in the "around 1500 posts" days. 8p

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
i can highly recommend the Bridgestone Dueller A/T revo

I had a set on my Rover and loved them... The only reason they did not make my list because I only got about 40K miles out of them.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks Jeff! :cool:

Also, does anyone know if 275/70/17's will fit? I think a larger tire would fill out the wheel well nicely.
Are we going to see another item added to your signature.....

"Used ties from a Yukon FOR SALE at a new low price"
Bigger tires would look nice, but you better add a few inches of lift to go with them.

captain planet
08-23-2007, 02:04 PM

I'm with you UMP. I got 72K out of those Firestones on my 96 Ranger with NO issues. Heck, the springs on my truck settled and cupped the crap out of two of the tires at 38K and I STILL put another 34K more on them. They were fine.

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Are we going to see another item added to your signature.....

"Used ties from a Yukon FOR SALE at a new low price"
Bigger tires would look nice, but you better add a few inches of lift to go with them.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in here!

I don't need no stickin' lift! The 265/70's look lost in these wheel wells. Have you not notice that on yours? I just think the tires look too small for the vehicle.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh, forgot to give my vote.
Michelins as you suggested, or the cross terrains.
Goodyears would be on my list.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I was wondering when you were going to chime in here!

I don't need no stickin' lift! The 265/70's look lost in these wheel wells. Have you not notice that on yours? I just think the tires look too small for the vehicle.
Sorry man, I never look at it. I think mine has the 16s...:confused: but I don't know. Doesn't come out of the garage much...:cool:
Still has maybe about 20k on it so I haven't even thought about it.
If I were to upgrade the tires, there is no doubt in my mind it would need some new wheels. Some Billet Specialties would be nice.

jraben8
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
A buddy of mine went with 285/70/17's on his wife's 04 Tahoe. No lift and they definitely filled the wheel well.

hester
08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
The GY TripleTred is the highest ranking tire on Tire rack but after owning the crappy Wrangler HP's I am not sure I can go with GY.

In my experience he TripleTred is a much better tire than the HP. I've had two sets of HPs on my Durango and just switched to the TT a few months ago and they have been great. They are also much better in the rain than the HP which loved to hydroplane in the larger sizes like my 275s.

tommcat
08-23-2007, 02:33 PM
A buddy of mine went with 285/70/17's on his wife's 04 Tahoe. No lift and they definitely filled the wheel well.Thats the size Dueller i just put on my F150

hester
08-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Google search for "tire size calculator" and use the one on the 1010tire site. It will help you get a good idea of how much diameter and width you will gain by entering differnt size options. Pretty helpful tool.

jraben8
08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
I put that size of the Silent Armors on my Expy also. It does look better...:)

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Google search for "tire size calculator" and use the one on the 1010tire site. It will help you get a good idea of how much diameter and width you will gain by entering differnt size options. Pretty helpful tool.

I love that little tool!

The 275/70's are only like .5" taller and .39" wider if I read it correctly. I just have less options in the 275/70.

Kevin 89MC
08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Another vote for the Michelin LTX M/S. I had a set on an old Land Cruiser, and they had phenominal traction. I sold it after ~30,000 miles on them, looked like they were brand new.

chevy08bud
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I just put a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires on my Avalanche and love them. They are very quiet, nice ride, and great traction. They look very good on the truck as well, probably one of the best looking tires that I have owned. If you mainly stay on the road, the TTs would work very well for you if you want a directional tire. If you don't want a directional tire, I'd go with the Wrangler Silent Armors.

tommcat
08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
i think you should go with some super swampers

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I still say Crocs are the answer Beau.....

Today, 03:00 PM
bcampbe7
MC Maniac Join Date: Jul 2004
Photos: 6

08-23-2007, 03:33 PM

bcampbe7
"Howard Johnson is right about Olson Johnson being right. "

I agree JR, Crocs are the best option. the yukon will be amazed at the comfort of the crocs. :)

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 03:35 PM

bcampbe7

Crocs are where it's at my friend!

08-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Crocs are where it's at my friend!
TRU DAT! :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
So what did you end up with Beau?

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 08:40 AM
I can get a little more out of the current tires, but I am going to go with the Michelin LTX M/S.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I can get a little more out of the current tires, but I am going to go with the Michelin LTX M/S.
Did you decide that after doing a search for the most expensive tires for the truck?
Or did we help with the decision?

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Mostly you gents here, but I also used Tirerack.com's reviews. :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Isn't tirerack mail order?
Do you have your own tire machine?

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Yes it is...

Doesn't everbody???

No, I am getting the tires from Discount Tire. They have a store about 1 hour from me.

Leroy
09-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Good choice Beau, I have those on my LX470.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I have those on my LX470.
I thought they only recommend toyo, Kumho or yokahamas for toyotas...8p

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Hmmm.. Looks like they only offer a few sizes in that model.

What size are you running Leroy?

Doesn't the M/S stand for Mud/Snow??

09-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I am still holding out for Crocs to start building tires. I would wait if I were you Beau. imagine the comfortable ride that would be.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Beau, I am not here to talk you out of the Michelins. With that said......

I just got back from the tire store. All this talk about new meats had me curious. While I was window shopping I had them throw on a new set of Goodyear Wranglers on the GJC.
When you go, expect the disposal fee, government tax of somekind, installation, balancing, and Tire pressure sensor replace or rebuild.

Anyway, back to the Yukon.8p

Here are some pictures.
The Michelins M/S:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/Made-in-the-USA/michelinMStread.jpg

The GoodYear wranglers Silentarmor:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/Made-in-the-USA/GoodyearWranglersilent.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Here is what I found out.
The Michelins are about $190+ each. Carry a decent treadlife of 50,000 miles. And have good reviews on your tirerack site.

The Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor are about $180 each. Carry a treadlife of 70,000 miles. I won't say the reviews your site has on these, but you would be a wise man to go look;)

I posted a picture of each of the treads. I by far like the Goodyears better.

I have always been a fan of Michelins, and Goodyears over all others, but if I were to spend my money this year on tires for my Yukon, it would be on a set of 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor tires.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Oh yeah, and the sidewall......It looks better, and would probably perform better in those off road situations you will never be caught in.8p
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/Made-in-the-USA/GoodyearWranglersilentside.jpg

H20BOY
09-07-2007, 03:07 PM
If you want a smooth quite ride with the longest wear the Michelin LTX M/S is the way to go. They are not the cheapest, but they will last longer and ride better than anything on the road. The 275/70R17 will fit on the Yukon; the only thing is it could make your speedometer be off just a little. Since you say you are on the road most of the time you do not need an aggressive tire like the GY Wranglers. They will be noisier and wear out quicker. If you decide you need more of a all terrain tire, the BFG All-Terrain KO is the only way to go. Sorry for rambling...Michelin LTX M/S all the way.

You bought the best boat(MC)...Why not have the best tires(Michelin)

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Question for you H2OBOY.
How many sets of Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmors have you gone through?

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Now you all are just confusing me. :confused: :D

Yes, I saw the reviews on the GY's W4T's. They are the highest rated tire on Tirerack for this particular style of tire. My local shop also told me to go with them.

The only thing swaying me at this point towards the Michelins is the fact that so many people have reported getting 80+K miles out of there Michelins.

H20BOY
09-07-2007, 03:20 PM
I will admit I have not had the Silentarmors personnally, but I am in the tire industry and have had lost of experience with both brands. My last company truck when I traded it in had 85000 on the LTX M/S and still had tread.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Now you all are just confusing me. :confused: :D

Yes, I saw the reviews on the GY's W4T's. They are the highest rated tire on Tirerack for this particular style of tire. My local shop also told me to go with them.

The only thing swaying me at this point towards the Michelins is the fact that so many people have reported getting 80+K miles out of there Michelins.
I could get 80k out of a few sets of tires I've had over the years too, I chose NOT TO. On that truck, the tires will dry rot before they hit 80;)
With that in mind, I'll get the Goodyears and we can compare notes when you are having yours replaced next time around8p

Price difference is probably going to be about $40.00 overall. So that shouldn't be the factor at all. I said what I would buy if it was me spending my money this year, and I would think that is what you were asking to begin with.
Not so much my opinion, but what I would actually drop my $ on.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't care what brand, make, or whatever, you guys are scaring the He!! of out me being on the road with 80,000+ miles on your tires. Stay AWAY from me!!!

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I could get 80k out of a few sets of tires I've had over the years too, I chose NOT TO. On that truck, the tires will dry rot before they hit 80;)
With that in mind, I'll get the Goodyears and we can compare notes when you are having yours replaced next time around8p

Price difference is probably going to be about $40.00 overall. So that shouldn't be the factor at all. I said what I would buy if it was me spending my money this year, and I would think that is what you were asking to begin with.
Not so much my opinion, but what I would actually drop my $ on.

I hear ya...

Another thing I mentioned above is that I swore-off GY after paying $212 per tire, plus mounting and balance, for GY Wrangler HP. Shortly after buying them I about slid through a stop sign while driving in the rain. They were the worst tires I have ever used on wet roads. I was shocked at how easily they slid. When I contacted GY about this they gave me the "we have never heard if this problem before" BS. I hate that line, especially when I know they have heard that before. Had I done my research like I do now I would have seen that the GY HP suck in the rain.

Let me know how the GY SA do on wet road conditions, would ya?

Toober Toni
09-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I got some used tubes you might want to try....ask Toober Tom for them.

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 09:23 PM
W4T's-
The tires I was thinking or are the GY Fotera Silent Armor not the Wrangler Silent Armor.

The Wrangler Silent Armor have a 50000 mile warranty like the Michelins whereas the Fortera Silent Armor have a 70000 mile warranty.

swatguy
09-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I know I may be a little late here, but as for size I am running 285/75/r16 on my Yukon. No rub, but the speedo is off 4mph(which makes my odometer off as well. So have to be careful. I thought that it would have been an easy fix, just hook up to the computer main and change the diameter of the tire stored in the memory. Only problem is that no one will do that. Or at least I still haven't found anyone that will. Don't know how these dudes run all the huge rim and trie combos without recalibrating.

I am running the BFG TAKO"S LOve em. USed to run the Toyo Open Country's, but I needed tires asap and they didn't have the toyo's in stock in the size I needed so they recomended these. I will never put the Toyo's back on.

One tire I wsha I had access to would be the Nitto Tierra Grapplers. They have some of the best AT tire reviews.

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I know I may be a little late here, but as for size I am running 285/75/r16 on my Yukon. No rub, but the speedo is off 4mph(which makes my odometer off as well. So have to be careful. I thought that it would have been an easy fix, just hook up to the computer main and change the diameter of the tire stored in the memory. Only problem is that no one will do that. Or at least I still haven't found anyone that will. Don't know how these dudes run all the huge rim and trie combos without recalibrating.

I am running the BFG TAKO"S LOve em. USed to run the Toyo Open Country's, but I needed tires asap and they didn't have the toyo's in stock in the size I needed so they recomended these. I will never put the Toyo's back on.

One tire I wsha I had access to would be the Nitto Tierra Grapplers. They have some of the best AT tire reviews.

Contact Jesse at Wait4Me Performance. He can recal your PCM to correct tire diameter issues along with any other mods you may have.

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

It's best to call him and go over what you are looking for with the tune.

I have a performance tune and it made a fairly noticeable difference on the butt dyno. I am getting better gas mileage too. :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 10:26 PM
W4T's-
The tires I was thinking or are the GY Fotera Silent Armor not the Wrangler Silent Armor.

The Wrangler Silent Armor have a 50000 mile warranty like the Michelins whereas the Fortera Silent Armor have a 70000 mile warranty.I saw the monitor at Discount Tires today, it showed 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmors at 70000. I didn't even have him look up the forteras. So I don't know what to tell you.

I had no trouble with my Goodyear Wrangler HPs I took off, I just wanted something a little different to try.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I hear ya...

Another thing I mentioned above is that I swore-off GY after paying $212 per tire, plus mounting and balance, for GY Wrangler HP. Shortly after buying them I about slid through a stop sign while driving in the rain. They were the worst tires I have ever used on wet roads. I was shocked at how easily they slid. When I contacted GY about this they gave me the "we have never heard if this problem before" BS. I hate that line, especially when I know they have heard that before. Had I done my research like I do now I would have seen that the GY HP suck in the rain.

Let me know how the GY SA do on wet road conditions, would ya?

For crying out loud, if you are that set against a tire, by all means don't do it because I would.
I do certainly hope after you thought this hard about it you will have that truck for another 80K....8p

FWIW- I thought the HPs were only 100 a piece, and you paid 212:confused: They must have more than one of the same HP...

I do believe the GY SAs were available in Load E and D, and the Mich M/S were available in a "P" tire as well as a Load E.

I like Michelin don't get me wrong at all. I have had the Cross Terrains on a previous truck thought that were great, also a tire that I recall being a "X" for a car and had 88k tread and I put 60k on them and saw hardly any tread missing before I got rid of the vehicle.

Leroy
09-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Mine are 275/70 R16 and they are M/S. Incredible ride, very stabil in the snow. Michelin is right up there with Honda and Lexus.....unless you are running F1 :D Of course the Honda Odyssey has Michelin and I'm pretty sure my sons ES300 has them also but of course he is out.

Hmmm.. Looks like they only offer a few sizes in that model.

What size are you running Leroy?

Doesn't the M/S stand for Mud/Snow??

Leroy
09-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Beau; I would read some reviews like this.

Wrangler:
http://www.epinions.com/content_80372272772

Michelin:
http://www.epinions.com/content_156878605956

Bottom line I think what he is saying is depends on WHERE you are going to drive........I am never off road and always on the road so I love the Michelin as predicted.

bcampbe7
09-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Went with the Michelins LTX M/S. The ride home was incredible. So much smoother than the OEM's.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/bcampbe7/tires002.jpg

milkmania
09-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Went with the Michelins LTX M/S. The ride home was incredible. So much smoother than the OEM's.

you'll be pleased:twocents:

my 1993 K2500 Suburban has XC-LT4 265/70/17
my 1995 K1500 Suburban has XC-LT4 265/75/16
my 1997 K1500 Suburban has LTX-A/T 265/75/16

my wife's tires feather quite a bit before she takes the time to get them rotated:mad: her choice!

tons of tread on everything.....it'll be several years before I need tires again!!!!!

Maristar210
09-08-2007, 10:39 PM
nice looking tires BC

JohnnyB
09-09-2007, 08:54 AM

I put Firestone Destination ATs on both our Tahoe (98) and Suburban (02) two years ago. I'm shoppin' for 8 new tires this fall and can't find the destinations.....have to go lookin' on Tire Rack. This would be my 3rd set for the Tahoe...good tires for the $$. Got about 60K mi on each set.

Ric
09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
For crying out loud, if you are that set against a tire, by all means don't do it because I would.
I do certainly hope after you thought this hard about it you will have that truck for another 80K....8p

FWIW- I thought the HPs were only 100 a piece, and you paid 212:confused: They must have more than one of the same HP...

I do believe the GY SAs were available in Load E and D, and the Mich M/S were available in a "P" tire as well as a Load E.

I like Michelin don't get me wrong at all. I have had the Cross Terrains on a previous truck thought that were great, also a tire that I recall being a "X" for a car and had 88k tread and I put 60k on them and saw hardly any tread missing before I got rid of the vehicle. WFT disappeared ?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Beau- I need an update....:D

I expect a complete review....

Maristar210
09-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Well well, look who surfaced from the abyss?

Welcome back WFT - ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
09-02-2008, 10:15 AM
You must have missed my contribution to the Happy Birthday Gene thread....;)
I've been around. :cool:

Roonie's
09-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I have the Michelin LTX M/S tires on my suburban and love them. They are just an all around awesome tire. Also go to Tire Rack.com and you can see reviews and ratings. The Michelins got one of the highest ratings because they earned it. I would for sure buy them again. Ride is quiet much more so than stock, and traction is awesome in mud and snow. They last a long time.

trickskier
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Michelin LTX M/S is the best tire on the market for an SUV. I've run Bridgestone, Firestone, and Goodyear and there is no compairson to the Michelin LTX M/S.

JohnE
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks for reviving this thread. I'll be putting new tires on the Avalanche before the end of the year and had planned on using the Michelins. This thread has cemented my decision.

bcampbe7
09-10-2008, 09:33 AM

Holy digging up an old thread Batman!

They are wearing great. I have roughly 15000 miles on them (I would guess) and they look good as new.

Little to no road noise, great wet/dry traction, and decent snow traction (drove to Iowa this past Christmas). I say decent snow traction because the only time they saw snow was the 1.5 weeks that we were in Iowa. They never left me with a feeling that I was going to get stuck nor did they slide all over the road.

Overall I love the tires and will buy them again when the time comes.

VOLFAN
09-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I am a fan of the Michelin LTX M/S

I can tell anyone that might be getting tires for a crossover SUV such as the Nissan Murano do not get the Michelin crossover tires! They have been terriable!

Workin' 4 Toys
09-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Holy digging up an old thread Batman!

The "Search" feature on this site gets you almost any information you ever wanted to know....:D You know as well as I do, you can't trust everything you read on the internet... Including product reviews. ;)

atlfootr
09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I had the LTX M/S on my Ram. They are an EXCELLENT tire for what you want them for.

Look into buying 'em from http://www.TireRack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/) as a possible option :D
That's my plan :rolleyes: