PDA

View Full Version : WOW, all the rain.....

captain planet
08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
The lake that I boat on is basically a flood control lake. When we have a wet summer, we have a lot of water. When it is dry, we don't. Before this last week our lake elevation was 1019.70 (exactly 5 feet below summer pool). That may not mean much to most of you, but where we like to ski the depth is anywhere from 7 to 15 feet deep. Take 5 feet of water away add some stumps and some road embutments, and things get pretty scary at 1019.7. We basically had written off the ski lane at our lake two weekends ago for the season.

Monday we got hammered with rain, 4-5 inches. From Monday to Tuesday the lake came up 3.74 feet. Tuesday to Wednesday up another 3.74 feet. And yesterday to today (just updated moments ago) up another .72 feet!!!! Up a total of 7.69 feet in 3 days.

Needless to say there is crap floating everywhere, and our docks needed some IMMEDIATE attention.

The point of all this...........

THE SKI SEASON JUST GOT EXTENDED BABY!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang: :dance: :banana: :toast:

jraben8
08-23-2007, 12:11 PM
We feel for you with the flooding that is going on.

We went from not know if there was going to be a ski season to not being able to ski due to all of the lakes being closed. It's just gotten back to almost normal in the past 2 weeks or so.

Maristar210
08-23-2007, 12:22 PM
We have had a bunch of rain here as well but the water level has remained the same (dam controlled)

Lots of people are glad we finally got some rain. The farmers are saying it's too late. Crops with dwarf sized corns stalks and no corn. The price of hay just went up.....

88 PS190
08-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Ya our lake has a hydro electric dam at the point where it exits into lake MI in Elk Rapids.

I don't know the pain of this, though they don't really "control" lake level, its always open.

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 12:30 PM
We desperately need rain here. We are in a pretty severe drought.

If all you in Indiana and Ohio would blow instead of suck, maybe we would get some much needed rain! :D :D (Kidding... That was a jab at a couple Big Ten teams from a Iowa Hawkeye fan living in Tennessee)

bcampbe7
08-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Add Michigan to that above list as well. :D

captain planet
08-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Add Michigan to that above list as well. :D
We already know that michigan blows and sucks, you don't have to remind us!! :D

MarkP
08-23-2007, 12:35 PM
We desperately need rain here. We are in a pretty severe drought.

If all you in Ohio would blow instead of suck, maybe we would get some much needed rain!
You talkin to CP?? You know, That guy with the goofy avatar..

Maristar210
08-23-2007, 12:39 PM
We already know that michigan blows and sucks, you don't have to remind us!! :D

You have it backwards Michigan State Sucks and OSU BLOWS

Tourney Team 197
08-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Our lake is so low, I am afraid that I won't be able to access the launch to take the boat out of the water. Maybe I could hire the chopper that pulled that X1 out of the beach...

ProTour X9
08-23-2007, 12:42 PM
We got hit HARD last night. The water is up to the bottom of the dock.

captain planet
08-23-2007, 12:45 PM
You have it backwards Michigan State Sucks and OSU BLOWS
I guess I should clarify. By michigan, I was referring to the wolverines. I have no problem with the Spartans. :)

BuoyChaser
08-23-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.thecourier.com/

Flooding worst on record; emergency meetings scheduled
Findlay officials are now saying this was the worst flood on record. They are adopting the National Weather Service's estimate that the river crested at 18.5 feet -- which surpasses the 1913 flood.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
we've gotten basically none of the past few days rain. We're still dry as a bone here with only a single cloud here or there dropping a small spattering of showers.

River is looking primo!

captain planet
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
we've gotten basically none of the past few days rain. We're still dry as a bone here with only a single cloud here or there dropping a small spattering of showers.

River is looking primo!
Hey P-hat, when I was down there in Cincy for the BUffett concert someone was saying something about there being a swimming advisory for the Ohio River. Is that true? I thought people skiied in it all the time? At least they do down by Marietta.

trickskier
08-23-2007, 02:50 PM
CP..............The lake I ski on is about 5-6 feet down...........No problem once you get the boat in the water as the lake is close to 100' deep. Problem right now is the ramp is nearly out of the water.........:o

captain planet
08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
CP..............The lake I ski on is about 5-6 feet down...........No problem once you get the boat in the water as the lake is close to 100' deep. Problem right now is the ramp is nearly out of the water.........:o
As of yesterday at about 4 p.m., our ramp is completely under water. I just hope I don't hit any floating logs this weekend that have washed into the lake. I hear horror stories about guys footin and hitting a log or something and shattering their ankles. :eek3:

BuoyChaser
08-23-2007, 04:00 PM
As of yesterday at about 4 p.m., our ramp is completely under water. I just hope I don't hit any floating logs this weekend that have washed into the lake. I hear horror stories about guys footin and hitting a log or something and shattering their ankles. :eek3:
be careful of logs, we've got a site that has logs that were submerged from a hurricane back in the 30s...they get held down by the large amount of Milfoil weeds and every so often one gets dislodged...have yet to hit one with a ski, but the prop has taken its toll on a buddies CC...

be careful footin' with debris, heard of a guy that lost his heel footing outside of Cleveland on a lake near Sea World...

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey P-hat, when I was down there in Cincy for the BUffett concert someone was saying something about there being a swimming advisory for the Ohio River. Is that true? I thought people skiied in it all the time? At least they do down by Marietta.

Hmmm...I guess I don't know! :confused: It 'looks' primo, but maybe it doesn't 'feel' that way! :o

Chicago190
08-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Huge storm hitting the Chicago area right now. I'm sitting in my basement with my laptop because huge branches started falling in my backyard. I'm supposed to be packing for school and leaving in an hour. Looks like thats getting pushed back because there is flooding on some of the highways.

Granite_33
08-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Our lake in MI (around Coldwater) was just designated "no wake" until further notice. Too much rain. Not draining fast enough. Father in law said that the boat dock is under water, and water is coming up into the front lawn.