PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fast!!

OSUspenc99
08-23-2007, 09:40 AM
So here is the dumbest thing that has happened lately. As most of you prob know Ohio got hit hard with rain. Well forgot to pull the the plug in the boat and there was water in the boat all the way up to the belts inside the boat. Im I done for or what do you think that I should do?

I checked the Oil and it is not milky or anything like that. What about the transmission?

What do you people think I should do?

Thanks for the help.

Want to use the boat this weekend so trying to find stuff out fast.

OSUspenc99
08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
PS..this is on the 2005 197

MYMC
08-23-2007, 09:46 AM
As long as the boat was not operated and then filled with water you should be fine with the transmission. Blower may be dead, and the engine should not care. It sounds like water was to the bottom of the crank pulley (which happens more than you may think) so there should be no issues.

88 PS190
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I would of course check your trans fluid and the engine oil, they should not be milky, and the ATF should not be pink, pink = water.

If the trans fluid comes out pink suck it out, and flush it a few times with new fluid.

I would get a rag with breakfree CLP on it and wipe down metal surfaces for rust prevention, but that's just me.

jclose8
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
The most common issue when that happens is the starter. If the starter ended up under water, you will need a new one soon. Even so, it should work for a while.

TRBenj
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
What do you people think I should do?

The first thing I would do is drain the water.

Good advice so far- check your fluids. If the starter was submurged, it may die an early death.

kjohnson
08-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the starter is supposed to be sealed. So can water get in? This happened to me a while back and i have never had a problem with the starter.

kjohnson
08-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the starter is supposed to be sealed. So, can water get in? This happened to me a while back and I have never had a problem with the starter.

trickskier
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the starter is supposed to be sealed. So can water get in? This happened to me a while back and i have never had a problem with the starter.
I don't believe the starter is actually sealed. It was a screen in it, much like a flame arrestor to prevent sparks from entering the bilge and causing an explosion.............Is that correct MYMC???

wesgardner
08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Starter is NOT waterproof...may need rebuild later as others have posted

6ballsisall
08-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Correct Tricky.......starter isn't waterproof. Just has preventative meausures engineered into it to avoid sparking/arching.

MYMC was right on the money, you can't go wrong with his advice here.

fintek9
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I have the same situation going on also! This past Saturday night got in
late did not put cover on( I never leave the boat at the dock over night Just don't trust no one no more!!) Woke up Sunday, checked the boat and HOLLY COW the water was about 6 in deep on the floor...
It rained long and hard!! would of took a pic but I was on that plug FAST....Shop vac the carpet dry, wiped every thing down good, Took the starter off and blew it out good with air, ( neighbors advice!) This was a NEW stater this year...Took EVERYTHING out!! Opened everything up and put the cushions in the house to dry, Have had a fan going in the boat all week to dry that thing out...Have not turned nothing on! Hope for the best in the long run. Done been schooled by Mother Nature...Good luck with yours!!

KnoxX2
08-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Sorry to here about all this. I wish we could have taken some of that rain down here in Tn. we need it bad! Hope all is well with that boats.

MYMC
08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Correct Tricky.......starter isn't waterproof. Just has preventative meausures engineered into it to avoid sparking/arching.

MYMC was right on the money, you can't go wrong with his advice here.
Thanks Jeff!

No the starter is not sealed as in water tight, but it is "explosion proof". If it were me I would spray WD-40 (or similar) in it and run with it.