PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket!

jss101
08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Ok, so here I am, last Saturday, driving like a bat outta hell to the lake to try and get some skiing in before it's time to make vodka tonics and grill burgers, and... :cool: wouldn't you know it! This.. um, police officer has the audacity to switch on his baby blues and pull me over, take lots of time, and give me a ticket! A hundred and fifty bucko's down the tubes! Pissed me right off. Where do they get off doing that? Don't they have bad guys to catch?

I've heard that if you appeal these tickets they sometimes just let you off rather than bother with you. Anybody got any info on that? He claims to have used radar, but... I dunno. I hate to just, um, well, suck it up and pay it! :)

SkiDog
08-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Ok, so here I am, last Saturday, driving like a bat outta hell to the lake to try and get some skiing in before it's time to make vodka tonics and grill burgers, and... :cool: wouldn't you know it! This.. um, police officer has the audacity to switch on his baby blues and pull me over, take lots of time, and give me a ticket! A hundred and fifty bucko's down the tubes! Pissed me right off. Where do they get off doing that? Don't they have bad guys to catch?

I've heard that if you appeal these tickets they sometimes just let you off rather than bother with you. Anybody got any info on that? He claims to have used radar, but... I dunno. I hate to just, um, well, suck it up and pay it! :)

I got one while on my way home from the MC factory after selling & delivering my boat. Got me running 80 in a 55. Had some friends in high places, and got it reduced to 69 in a 55. But the best part was it won't go to the state and go on my record. It just goes to show ya, it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know!:D

88 PS190
08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
If you challenge and go to court you can get it tossed, mainly the officer who wrote the ticket is then required to go to court if he doesn't appear you don't get ticketed.

My favorite are quotas, my older brother got pulled over going 90 in a 55 going south towards the University of Illinois campus, the cop said if he'd agree to a 55$ seat belt ticket he wouldn't get the 150$ speeding ticket, how strange is that?

Guy must have needed a few more seat belt tickets for the month.

M-Funf
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Best bets:

- Request a change of the court date. The officer wrote down the appearance date he did because that's HIS day to be in court. If you change the date, he may not show. In CA, officers get paid to show up on their court dates, but not on other days...and it's a scheduling nightmare for them.

- Request a trial by written declaration. This means more time for the officer, and often they just don't do it.

There are a TON more ideas at ticketassassin.com website.

I first changed the appearance date, and then asked for a trial by written declaration and the case was thrown out...:cool:

BriEOD
08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Even if it doesn't get thrown out, if you appear in court often time the judge will drop the points and cut the fine down. $150 bucks hurts, but the points on your license and in-turn your insurance hurts more.

X2M
08-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Best bets:

- Request a change of the court date. The officer wrote down the appearance date he did because that's HIS day to be in court. If you change the date, he may not show. In CA, officers get paid to show up on their court dates, but not on other days...and it's a scheduling nightmare for them.

- Request a trial by written declaration. This means more time for the officer, and often they just don't do it.

There are a TON more ideas at ticketassassin.com website.

I first changed the appearance date, and then asked for a trial by written declaration and the case was thrown out...:cool:

I dont know where you got this info from. With the CHP none of the above is true.

M-Funf
08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I dont know where you got this info from. With the CHP none of the above is true.

I'm not sure about CHP...I've only had one ticket, and it was a city officer. This is information I've read through the website, and from a couple of other people...It could all be BS as far as I know just to get you to buy their stuff...I guess I should have said that first8p

bigmac
08-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Lots of ways to do it, but look to see if that particular jurisdiction has an alternative program (no plea, pay a little more, case dismissed, no points or record) or a diversion program (plead guilty, ruling stayed, traffic school, no ticket for 90 days = case is dismissed - this option often requires some juice with the county attorney's office and it helps to know the judge).

If not, first thing to do is go to the traffic court on the arraignment date listed and plead not guilty. Once you get a trial date, wait a couple of weeks and then go down to the court clerk's office and file for a continuance. While you're there, have the clerk provide you with the documents for filing a discovery motion and apply for copies of the calibration data on the radar unit as well as its maintenance records. Also file for the police officer's certificate of training on that device as well as a copy of HIS copy of the ticket and his notes. Sometime before the trial date, file for another continuance. If you can get away with it, file for a third continuance as that date approaches. If you want to take a little bit of a chance, and depending on how desperate you are to get out of the ticket, try to get an appointment with the prosecutor's office to discuss the ticket and offer a plea deal. They may bite on it and might offer diversion or an alternative program.

Statistically, most people who go through this rigamarole will get the case dropped unless the violation was something really egregious. They count of most people just shrugging, pleading guilty, paying the fine so that they don't have to hassle with court. If you don't mind those hassles, the odds are in your favor.

trickskier
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
No one else has asked, and before I put my :twocents: in, for what it may or may not be worth............How fast were you going and what was the posted speed limit? Also, did the officer reduce the speed on the ticket from what he said he originally clocked you at?

The reason this is important is because if you do decide to go to court and the officer shows up, he's going to tell the judge that he has already cut you some slack..........

Also, is there anything else on you MVR over the past 3 years? The Judge will have a copy of your MVR and if it's not clean, your chances of getting the charges dropped are nill................

SkiDog
08-22-2007, 09:38 PM
No one else has asked, and before I put my :twocents: in, for what it may or may not be worth............How fast were you going and what was the posted speed limit? Also, did the officer reduce the speed on the ticket from what he said he originally clocked you at?

The reason this is important is because if you do decide to go to court and the officer shows up, he's going to tell the judge that he has already cut you some slack..........

Also, is there anything else on you MVR over the past 3 years? The Judge will have a copy of your MVR and if it's not clean, your chances of getting the charges dropped are nill................

Sounds like my buddy is speaking from 'spearence'!:D

6ballsisall
08-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Did I get this right? You admit to speeding and now you want to figure out how to get out of the consequence?

SkiDog
08-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Did I get this right? You admit to speeding and now you want to figure out how to get out of the consequence?

Ain't that the American way?!?!?!?!:D

Mag_Red
08-22-2007, 10:13 PM
My initial response, when I first read your post, can be written in three words..........suck it up!:D You admit you were "driving like a bat out of hell. " You got caught! Man up! Geez! I drive 80 to 85 MPH to the lake every week-end. Sometimes hit 90. I am carefull, look for speed traps, have a radar detector. If I get caught, I figure it's pay back for all the times I didn't get caught. Quite clogging the judicial system with your whining.

6ballsisall
08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
My initial response, when I first read your post, can be written in three words..........suck it up!:D You admit you were "driving like a bat out of hell. " You got caught! Man up! Geez! I drive 80 to 85 MPH to the lake every week-end. Sometimes hit 90. I am carefull, look for speed traps, have a radar detector. If I get caught, I figure it's pay back for all the times I didn't get caught. Quite clogging the judicial system with your whining.

Well spoken. :cool:

But Mags, in your case I think you should be more worried about "Ice" then speeding. :D

bigmac
08-22-2007, 10:15 PM
The American legal system. He has a right to make the state prove its case against him, and he has a right to make whatever deal the prosecuting authority is willing to accept.

Mag_Red
08-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Well spoken. :cool:

But Mags, in your case I think you should be more worried about "Ice" then speeding. :DI know that is a reference to sometihing I must have posted a while back........but I'm getting old timers.......care to refresh the memory??:D

6ballsisall
08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
I know that is a reference to sometihing I must have posted a while back........but I'm getting old timers.......care to refresh the memory??:D

All I need to say is McDonalds cup with Ice. Need I say more????? ;) :D

Leroy
08-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Well put JR, no need to put our taxdollars to waste to save $150 for yourself.

Mag_Red
08-22-2007, 10:20 PM
The American legal system. He has a right to make the state prove its case against him, and he has a right to make whatever deal the prosecuting authority is willing to accept.you have a point...but it's not like he is accused of murder.......Maybe it was the way I was raised........If I did something wrong ...there are consequences to be paid if you are caught. He admits he was speeding.

André
08-22-2007, 10:23 PM
you have a point...but it's not like he is accused of murder.......Maybe it was the way I was raised........If I did something wrong ...there are consequences to be paid if you are caught. He admits he was speeding.
I think it's call being reponsible for your acts!
Suck it up and pay your fine.You were speeding.
Speed kills.Either you or OTHERS...

Mag_Red
08-22-2007, 10:24 PM
All I need to say is McDonalds cup with Ice. Need I say more????? ;) :D
:purplaugh Hang on a second........that was a matter of perception...she percieved ice to hit her windshield...I percieved nothing happened.......no ice....no cup.......INNOCENT!:D

6ballsisall
08-22-2007, 10:25 PM
:purplaugh Hang on a second........that was a matter of perception...she percieved ice to hit her windshield...I percieved nothing happened.......no ice....no cup.......INNOCENT!:D

Oh my bad.......I must be confused in my old age. :rolleyes: 8p

cbryan70
08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I just got a ticket for failure to yeild when turning left! Cop was a dick...had to send a thing in to get court going to court going to plead guilty and ask for supervision! WE shall see how that goes!

bigmac
08-22-2007, 10:42 PM
you have a point...but it's not like he is accused of murder.......Maybe it was the way I was raised........If I did something wrong ...there are consequences to be paid if you are caught. He admits he was speeding.Perhaps he feels that the penalties they want to impose are unjust relative to the violation. 15-over on dry pavement in daylight with light traffic carries the same penalty as 15-over at night in a rainstorm on a busy highway. If so, he can and should avail himself of every option that the legal system allows to make his case.

bigmac
08-22-2007, 11:02 PM
you have a point...but it's not like he is accused of murder.......Maybe it was the way I was raised........If I did something wrong ...there are consequences to be paid if you are caught. He admits he was speeding.Yes. And as patriotic American's that have been raised right, we also all have an obligation to pay all of the taxes that the IRS thinks we owe. No need for accountants - every April 15 we should all just ask the government how much and pay it. I agree. ;)

Maristar210
08-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Sounds like you'll be paying for a speeding ticket to me. Trying to weasel out of it with some sort of appointment manipulation seems pretty weak to me. Your guilty, pay the fine, have a Coke and a smile and move on. Tricking an officer into a non appearance seems pretty shallow for a speeding ticket. Now if it was a DUI and your license is in jeopardy then that is different..... I guess, not that I know...just sayin'

S

X2M
08-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Perhaps he feels that the penalties they want to impose are unjust relative to the violation. 15-over on dry pavement in daylight with light traffic carries the same penalty as 15-over at night in a rainstorm on a busy highway. If so, he can and should avail himself of every option that the legal system allows to make his case.

I don't agree with you Bigmac. He already admitted that he was " driving like a bat outta hell to the lake". Fighting this ticket is a waste of his time and tax payers money. Pay the fine, learn from it and move on.

bigmac
08-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't agree with you Bigmac.

Isn't America great?:D

Monte
08-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Prayer for judgement... Take a class... pay a fine... Plead guilty.. as long as you don't get another in the next three years no ins points will be assessed..... NC rules anyway

TX.X-30 fan
08-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Tickets=taxes. Bigmac is right here, when you drive to the front entrance of your subdivision and get a $150 ticket for no seat belt, there is no public safety issue. 90% of all tickets are for revenue enhancement not public safety. When police departments employ quota's that is in no way a measure to keep the kids safe.

JUS SAYIN!! :D

X2M
08-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Tickets=taxes. Bigmac is right here, when you drive to the front entrance of your subdivision and get a $150 ticket for no seat belt, there is no public safety issue. 90% of all tickets are for revenue enhancement not public safety. When police departments employ quota's that is in no way a measure to keep the kids safe.

JUS SAYIN!! :D

Police department quota's are a myth. .....just sayin'.;)

Mag_Red
08-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Yes. And as patriotic American's that have been raised right, we also all have an obligation to pay all of the taxes that the IRS thinks we owe. No need for accountants - every April 15 we should all just ask the government how much and pay it. I agree. ;)not really the same bigmac. we do not ask the IRS how much we owe.....we fill out the damned forms as best as we can interpret the codes, and pay what we think we owe. If they disagree, then it is open to discussion. Speed limit is simply posted. Either you are going 55 MPH or you are not.

6ballsisall
08-22-2007, 11:48 PM

I always wondered that..... Do you know this for fact?

Monte
08-22-2007, 11:48 PM

But they ain't gonna be around long if they are not writing them:)

wiltok
08-23-2007, 12:06 AM
I knew a guy with the state police - he told he was 'supposed' to make 5 stops per shift - 3 tickets and 2 warnings. It wasn't necessarily a quota but if you made less (average over time) they might start wondering if you are working hard enough.

TX.X-30 fan
08-23-2007, 12:25 AM

Not where I live MOMMA, google it??

They are taxes, plain and simple.

Look at the departments budget if you believe that there is not a level of income expected from tickets.

Look at the cities budget next??

We have not even begun to talk about the red light camera's. Which in Houston raised over $400,000 denero's in the first quarter of their existence. Just heard today they will expand the camera tickets to include anyone they see rolling through for a right-hand turn on red.

Additionally, they are a good source of government revenue. It doesn’t cost much to maintain the system once it’s installed, and it works 24 hours a day, seven days a week, systematically catching violators and sending out revenue-generating traffic tickets that are really hard to contest.

Tickets: Public safety orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr taxation?????

:D :D

X2M
08-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Not where I live MOMMA, google it??

They are taxes, plain and simple.

Look at the departments budget if you believe that there is not a level of income expected from tickets.

Look at the cities budget next??

We have not even begun to talk about the red light camera's. Which in Houston raised over $400,000 denero's in the first quarter of their existence. Just heard today they will expand the camera tickets to include anyone they see rolling through for a right-hand turn on red.

Tickets: Public safety orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr taxation?????

:D :D

Redlight cameras and tickets does not mean there is a department quota. Yes, even though the city gets revenue from them.

People run red lights, speed and break other traffic laws...and officers write them tickets. Why? Because its their job. Not because the city tells them they need to write 5 tickets and give 3 warnings a shift.

TX.X-30 fan
08-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Redlight cameras and tickets does not mean there is a department quota. Yes, even though the city gets revenue from them.

People run red lights, speed and break other traffic laws...and officers write them tickets. Why? Because its their job. Not because the city tells them they need to write 5 tickets and give 3 warnings a shift.

Texas: Houston Police Memo Suggests Ticket Quota
Houston, Texas police are told they must issue at least two traffic tickets every day.

Police in Houston, Texas are required to get two "ducks" a day, according to an internal police memo issued by a northwest division police captain. "A duck is a traffic ticket," Houston Police Officer Johnnie McFarland explained to KHOU-TV. The policy outlined in the memo appears to run afoul of a Texas statute prohibiting the evaluation of a police officer based on "predetermined or specified number of any type or combination of types of traffic citations."

A Houston Police Department spokesman denied the memo amounted to an illegal ticket quota because a "duck" could also refer to other types of arrests.

"It's something we have researched quite a lot," Craig Ferrell, director of HPD's legal services, told KHOU-TV. "What we are telling our officers though, 'We expect for you to put a full day's work for a full day's pay' and part of that full day's work is traffic enforcement."

Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle has been lobbying the state legislature to repeal the quota law which holds officials accountable for misconduct by suggesting that removal from office is the appropriate punishment for violation of the statute.

JUS SAYIN?? :D

X2M
08-23-2007, 12:43 AM
We all know how truthful and reliable the media is. :rolleyes:

......jus sayin'.:D

TX.X-30 fan
08-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Slow your roll, Houston -- police have to write tickets

Brandon Moeller

Traffic-ticket quotas are illegal. But Houston police officers' getting in trouble for not writing tickets isn't.

Police officers can receive low performance ratings for working the streets for several days without writing tickets. Because their presence encourages drivers to behave themselves, the city encourages officers to write tickets. It still sounds like a quota to me.

jUS SAYIN. :confused:

X2M
08-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Slow your roll, Houston -- police have to write tickets

Brandon Moeller

Traffic-ticket quotas are illegal. But Houston police officers' getting in trouble for not writing tickets isn't.

Police officers can receive low performance ratings for working the streets for several days without writing tickets. Because their presence encourages drivers to behave themselves, the city encourages officers to write tickets. It still sounds like a quota to me.

jUS SAYIN. :confused:

Nope not a quota.

The officers are doing their jobs and I thank them for a job well done too.

We can argue this all night and will not agree. Thanks for a nice little debate Mr.TX X-30 fan (or Mrs.?), it's been fun. :D

Leroy
08-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Generally all the officiers have to do is point their gun and they pick off speeders as quick as they can write them up.

I almost think they have a ceiling as they can pick off speeders anytime, anywhere.

T-Rager
08-23-2007, 01:24 AM
I've had my share of speeding tickets. Here in Washington, once you plead guilty and pay the ticket, the infraction becomes part of your record and is searchable by auto insurers.

I've discussed in detail with my insurer the effect of moving violations on my insurance rates. The rate increases are proportional to the magnitude of the infraction and the number of tickets you have on your record. Moreover, the increased rate for each violation remains in effect for three years.

Once you run the numbers, I find it to be much less expensive to hire a local attorney who specializes in traffic-related matters to handle the case. I pay $350 to the attorney, who has had a 100% success rate in my experience, and I save the $100-150 cost of the ticket plus the cost of the more-expensive insurance.

The ethics of this approach are debatable, the economics are not.

swatguy
08-23-2007, 01:55 AM
First off as you all can tell the ID pretty much tells what I do. I have been holding on posting, but couldn't resist anymore. I know once I start typing it's gonna be long and have a ton of typos and runons....just preparing you... So here goes.

All I can say is you admit to driving like a bat out of hell and then whine because you got a ticket. Hysterical. "Aren't there any bad guys out there?" WEll I would hope you're not liviing in an area where there are robberies and murders happening every minute of the day. So I can pretty much say that well you were the criminal at that time and you got caught so suck it up. AS to the trying to get out of it. WEll try. That is why we have a legal system. Can pretty much guarantee that if you were more than 20mph over the speed limit you ain't gonna, very rare here in IL. If you were more than 20mph over here in IL you could have ended up in jail and your car would be impounded. 1k once the tow truck hits it and you are in the back of the squad, not to mention bail. I have no clue how fast you were going so can't tell ya. But, hell I made every court date I have had. It's even better when it was scheduled out of key or they wanted a trial. MORE OT FOR ME:D If I was caught I would also do everytihing in my power to try and avoid the fine. Being a P.O here in the big city I can honestly count on one hand the tickets I have written to just write tickets. That's me.....but damn if I don't write enough of them for probable cause.

You can pretty much find something wrong on every car on the road in order to pull it over. SERIOUSLY. It's very easy. Bet you didn't even know its a ticket if you open your door to your car and get in on a street with traffic going by. Seat belt tickets are a no brainer, just look at the ads all over T.V. They don't go against your insurance because they are "non-hazardous movers" Still yet people complain all the time they are B.S. Just put the thing on and shut up. Then you won't have to complain.

Speeding tickets suck. They do. They can wreck a weekend or day. I am with you all. Most likely the officers are doing it on their way home as well, though the signs are there for a reason. So when you speed you make the concious choice to say F' the signs who cares. So when you speed you are taking a chance. People are man enough to take the chance so people should sack up when they get caught. They probably didn't get caught a million of the other times. Quotas are myths, However with that being said performance reviews are not. Everyone gets a review at work. As I am sure if all of you showed up for a work everyday and did nothing I don't think you would get too high of a review. The company you work for is there to make money otherwise you wouldn't be getting a salary. Same goes for the boys in blue. We all want to move on to the next level and well you don't get there without working towards it. Imagine just for a second that the police in your town didn't write tickets for revenue. Do you have any idea what would happen to your taxes? Cost of living? How fast the city would need money? (coming from a big city boy). I agree speeding is a debateable topic and has alot to do with the actual road and conditions, but again signs are posted and it's a conscious choice you make to obey or disregard them. Here in IL there are stiffer fines and different tickets to write when the road conditions are hazardous, just not too many people know them....(even your local P.O. may not, sure he has a book, but its as big as an encyclopedia).

Think of how many times you were speeding before you actually got that ticket probably every time you get into the car if you're like 90% of Americans. Then multiply that by the fine and try and cry. So if you wanna look at it from another way you are robbing/beating the city/state county technically of that money :)

As to the red light camera's.....Again don't run the red! They are designed so that if you are going the speed limit you are able to stop in that interval. ( Have a civil engineering degree and did a thesis on these camera's)IF you can't stop in time well then slow down. You know they are there so don't go through it,and then if you do get caught don't cry. I actually agree with those cameras. They save lives no way to argue that. They decrese MAJOR accidents at intersections just by being there. People will slow down there and be more cautious

Everyone always wants to hate on the police for doing there job. Not saying there aren't some guys on a powertrip. Believe me I have gotten pulled over and yes have even gotten 2 tickest since I have been a P.O. over the past 7yrs. I have dealt with that #$% officer who is having a bad day. Is it right for the to be an a-hole NO! Put yourself in our shoes for a day, hell do a ride along with your local dept. Walk up to cars with the officers and see what people actually act like when they are getting pulled over. It's like Jekyl and Hyde sometimes. See what we actually put up with on a day to day routine. Also imagine your on that road by yourself at 3am and it's pitch black and you are walking up to a car whom you have no idea who is inside. Cops have been shot by dr's and career criminals alike. Always air on the side of caution, so yes he may be stern and try to come off with an authoritative attitude every now and then. They are called OFFICERS for a reason.

Everyone always wants to also make a huge deal about a rougue copper wiith a bad attitude, We are just as human as the rest of the world. Collect 13,000 drs, lawyers, mechanics, school teachers or pretty much anyone and there is always going to be bad apples. Everyone always wants to hate on the police. Fact is you call us when the $%% is hitting the fan, and when everyone one else is running away from that guy who is shooting or has hoostages inside we are running towards them or kicking in their front door. There is something to be said for that.

Now I will step out of police mode and into engineering mode. As I said I was a civil engineering graduate. did ALOT of work/research on traffic studies and things to do with traffic signals and vehicles. Speeding around town in most cases saves you very little time if you actually break it down. under 5 mins in 90 percent of cases assuming your not doing 100mph and just doing the avergae speeding of 15mph over the limit. I can only speak of Illinois as my research was based here. We shall use the suburbs as well we all know traffic in the big city moves slow.

In most cases the lights and timing patterns are designed with in regard to the speed limit. So in actuallity by speeding you just hurry up and wait at the next light while someone who is doing the actual speed limit will just keep cruising. Mind you this is without traffic and assuming on 1 car's driving pattern. Also there is a gap in there where if you speed you can make every green light as well, just have to hit the first one at the optimal time. But if you take the car not speeding vs the speeding car roughly 93% of the time the cars will end up at the same ending light at the same time.

We will say the average trip around town is 20mi. Just a number not saying. Speed limit 45mph. A car going the speed limit with no lights in the equation directly from start to finish will make the trip in 26.66minutes Lets say you speed at 60mph well you make it in 20min. 6minute difference. WOW that's alot. I know I know add those 6minutes up on a daily basis and well they add to more time, I understand.

Speeding on the highway though on long trips over 100mi. Well most people speed at 70-72 on the highway as opposed to the limit where here in IL is usually 55. 100mi trip. At 55mph=108.7min At 72mph=83.3 minutes. So i guess pick and choose you speeding spots, but we all know that when the State Police usually get you .....you usually get the fine

Tkae the numbers at face value. Just wanted to throw them out there.

Sorry for the essay, but I could go on and on
Meter Maids on the other hand8p whole other topic:D

bigmac
08-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Everyone always wants to hate on the police for doing there job. .....

.....Everyone always wants to also make a huge deal about a rougue copper wiith a bad attitude, We are just as human as the rest of the world. Collect 13,000 drs, lawyers, mechanics, school teachers or pretty much anyone and there is always going to be bad apples. Everyone always wants to hate on the police.....

An impassioned defense. I don't think anybody here disagrees with you.

If you ever write me a ticket, don't take it personally if I decide to make the prosecutor prove it.

Jesus_Freak
08-23-2007, 06:54 AM
...We will say the average trip around town is 20mi. Just a number not saying. Speed limit 45mph. A car going the speed limit with no lights in the equation directly from start to finish will make the trip in 26.66minutes Lets say you speed at 60mph well you make it in 20min. 6minute difference. WOW that's alot. I know I know add those 6minutes up on a daily basis and well they add to more time, I understand.

Speeding on the highway though on long trips over 100mi. Well most people speed at 70-72 on the highway as opposed to the limit where here in IL is usually 55. 100mi trip. At 55mph=108.7min At 72mph=83.3 minutes....

Thanks. I think most here are aware that one's trip duration is directly proportional to the reciprocal of speed. For me, the tendency to speed is based on the relative decrease in wasted travel time. In both of your examples, the relative decrease is ballpark 20%. Over the course of one's life, that is a big deal. I'm not condoning, nor am I arguing with traffic light timing; just giving reasons for a tendency.

I was ticketed recently on the way home from vacation. My wife checked out a number of websites for suggestions on fine reduction, etc. The methods all seemed to start with a not-guilty plea. There was no way I was going to stand in court and say I was not guilty. So...I simply ate it.

Ric
08-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I just got a ticket for failure to yeild when turning left! Cop was a dick...had to send a thing in to get court going to court going to plead guilty and ask for supervision! WE shall see how that goes! the cop was a detective?

Ric
08-23-2007, 10:23 AM
swat guys are uptight

Everyone always wants to hate on the police for doing there job. Not saying there aren't some guys on a powertrip. Believe me I have gotten pulled over and yes have even gotten 2 tickest since I have been a P.O. over the past 7yrs. I have dealt with that #$% officer who is having a bad day. Is it right for the to be an a-hole NO! Put yourself in our shoes for a day, hell do a ride along with your local dept. Walk up to cars with the officers and see what people actually act like when they are getting pulled over. It's like Jekyl and Hyde sometimes. See what we actually put up with on a day to day routine. Also imagine your on that road by yourself at 3am and it's pitch black and you are walking up to a car whom you have no idea who is inside. Cops have been shot by dr's and career criminals alike. Always air on the side of caution, so yes he may be stern and try to come off with an authoritative attitude every now and then. They are called OFFICERS for a reason.

trickskier
08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Sounds like my buddy is speaking from 'spearence'!:D
Knock on WOOD!!!.................It's been over 30 years since I've been pulled over.................Prior to that is another story.............
Let's just say when I was younger, I fought the law and the law won................;)

bigmac
08-23-2007, 10:39 AM
swat guys are uptight.

LOL.:D . I have to agree.

jss101
08-23-2007, 10:57 AM

This is a good point that I didn't think of! Yeah, the cop said he was being nice and reduced the speed of the ticket by 5mph, saying he saved me $50. This could come back to haunt me I guess!

My record has been squeaky clean for many years. What a shame!

jss101
08-23-2007, 11:02 AM

Oh, all right!
Guess I should!
:D

Sure did set off whirlwind of responses, though!

wade95
08-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Another cop chiming in. Man, what a good 5pg read. Fighting it in court could get ya one of two things:
1) No contest plea and withold of points if judge is nice
2) Judge/Magistrate finds you guilty and makes ya pay the ticket AND court costs.

You admit you were speeding? Pay the ticket.

Now, I am a Deputy Sheriff and I REFUSE to write tickets unless I have to. It's getting so bad that a judge threw out a ticket the other day on an accident case (with witnesses and officers statement) because the officer didn't witness the accident. Now, since FL is a "no fault" state I don't even write a ticket even if I can see who was at fault. Why you ask? I don't want to spend my time off going to court for a ticket that is just going to get thrown out anyway.

jss101
08-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I think it's call being reponsible for your acts!
Suck it up and pay your fine.You were speeding.
Speed kills.Either you or OTHERS...

Actually, I'm a very careful driver.
It was a clear, dry, day.
I was *completely* sober!
I've driven that road 1000 times

I do take your point to heart, however.

Gotta find my checkbook I guess! :)

Maristar210
08-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I had an encounter with our water patrol Sheriff last evening. He came up to my boat recognized who I was and turned his seadoo away from me while waving :cool:

To the rest of you coppers:

Hammer down ! Catch me if you can, I got **** to do !!!! :D :D

peason
08-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I have had a rash of tickets and warnings in the last 3 years ( I went 10 years with out any tickets or warnings) - I drive a lot for my job - 110,000 miles on the SUV in 2 1/2 years. Of the two tickets I received, I went to court, paid the fine and made a deal with the counties to not get a ticket for another year and the ticket was not sent into the state.
I would go to court on your appointed day, or call ahead and see if they offer any ways to put you on "probation" either by pleading guilty and taking a class or by not getting another ticket with in the next year.

Ric
08-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh, all right!
Guess I should!

Sure did set off whirlwind of responses, though! I am the dude in the back seat yelling fight him man! Fight him!

jss101
08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Yikes!
I started this thread, and I haven't been able to read through it all yet!

By the way, to those who have written serious empassioned responses - actually, I agree with you and I'm not against cops! My limited dealings with the police have been generally positive and there have been times when I've been relieved that they were there!

The cop wasn't completely out of line giving me a ticket. I do think he could have given me a warning and achived the same effect.

It pissed me off to have to pay so much!!! You gotta understand that.
I didn't feel like I was doing anything reckless or putting anyone in any real danger.

Ric
08-23-2007, 11:22 AM
jss, I have some really good old friends who are cops and I hassle them just the same.

I worry about them in their daily tasks.

That said, I do most of the things bigmac mentioned each time I get a ticket because I cannot stomach the driving record or insurance woes.. Does it clog up the legal system?.......... I dunno, anybody here sat through a day in muni court? The whole thing is a clog in itself whether folks like me are there or not!:D

TX.X-30 fan
08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Nope not a quota.

The officers are doing their jobs and I thank them for a job well done too.

We can argue this all night and will not agree. Thanks for a nice little debate Mr.TX X-30 fan (or Mrs.?), it's been fun. :D

Thank you momma, I personally love a good fight. :D ;)

QUOTA'S LIVE!!!!!

trickskier
08-23-2007, 11:41 AM
This is a good point that I didn't think of! Yeah, the cop said he was being nice and reduced the speed of the ticket by 5mph, saying he saved me $50. This could come back to haunt me I guess!

My record has been squeaky clean for many years. What a shame!
Since your MVR is clean, I would suggest (and this is only a suggestion) that you request a different court date like M-Fun suggested earlier. If the officer fails to show, the ticket will most likely be dismissed.

If the officer does show, enter a plea of Nolo Contendere with an explanation. This will allow you to tell your side of the story and the officer will not be able to speak. Then it will be solely up to the Judge to make his decision based on what you've told him.

IMPORTANT TIPS: Dress in a coat & tie, address the judge by saying "Yes your Honor" or "No your Honor". You will be surprised at how many people show up dressed in T-shirts & bluejeans or warmup suits. Then address the Judge by saying yeah or naw.........

With a clean MVR you might get lucky and the Judge could Withhold Adjudication of Guilt. You will probably still be responsible for Court Costs, possibly a reduced fine, and maybe have to attend a safe drivers course. However, the tickect & the points should not hit your MVR and effect your insurance rates.

Hope this helps you.
Good Luck!!!

Ric
08-23-2007, 11:46 AM
this brings me to a big brother question........ The EZ toll tags (or whatever they call them in your particular state)... How long til they start ticketing us on those?

Driving west out of Louisiana on I10 this weekend, I noticed some large overhanging traffic monitoring equipment in the middle of nowhere just East of the Texas line.... They sure as hell looked like ez tag readers and cameras to me............................... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

trickskier
08-23-2007, 11:51 AM
this brings me to a big brother question........ The EZ toll tags (or whatever they call them in your particular state)... How long til they start ticketing us on those?

Driving west out of Louisiana on I10 this weekend, I noticed some large overhanging traffic monitoring equipment in the middle of nowhere just East of the Texas line.... They sure as hell looked like ez tag readers and cameras to me............................... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Were they near a the State Weigh Station for trucks? If so that would be E-Z Pass for trucks. It gives them a green light if they don't have to stop at the scales.

bigmac
08-23-2007, 12:08 PM
You guys have such cool technology on your highways. OTOH, our roads are smooth, but the bridges keep falling down. I blame the State Patrol for that, for not writing enough traffic citations, as well as the bastards who keep squandering tax dollars by fighting their speeding tickets.

Ric
08-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Were they near a the State Weigh Station for trucks? If so that would be E-Z Pass for trucks. It gives them a green light if they don't have to stop at the scales. now that you mention it, I bet that is what it was... I do remember the weigh station being the only thing near that contraption for miles.

BrianM
08-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I have a clean driving record but have gotten a few speeding tickets (I have averaged about 1 every 3 years). Each time I have gone to court simply to have it reduced to some non moving violation so as not to get the points. I have been successful in doing this every time. I go to court and tell the DA or Judge that I made a mistake but have a clean driving record and would like to keep it that way. With the few tickets I have had they have either reduced it to a non-moving and made me pay the fine thus eliminating the point or once I had to pay the fine then take an 8 hour defensive driving class which removed it from the record.

Mag_Red
08-23-2007, 12:23 PM
You guys have such cool technology on your highways. OTOH, our roads are smooth, but the bridges keep falling down. I blame the State Patrol for that, for not writing enough traffic citations, as well as the bastards who keep squandering tax dollars by fighting their speeding tickets.:uglyhamme Now that was just funny! If you speed across the bridge, you will lessen your chance of being involved in a bridge colapse............just sayin':D

swatguy
08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
"swat guys are uptight."

NAH! we just get bored easily :)

And I will be the frist one in line to fight the speeding ticket off one of those toll passes if it ever happens. That is just nuts. It's one thing for an officer to hand me a ticket, but a robot.

milkmania
08-23-2007, 01:06 PM
*snip
classic example this morning....

loaded the tractor on trailer this morning, left 1 minute before my wife (taking kids to school and going to work late). we had to travel 10 miles to the next town, I was driving 60 in a 65, she blows past me, honks and keeps going... she gets stuck behind a slow moving blue hair, I catch up to her (still doing 60).... she gets past the blue hair, pulls away.... I pass the blue hair when it's clear.

get into town, pull up to stop sign BEHIND MY WIFE!:rant:

she's stuck waiting on cross traffic, she pulls out and as soon I pull to stop sign, my traffic is clear8p

moral of the story?
my wife works for an attorney:rolleyes:

jss101
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I have a clean driving record but have gotten a few speeding tickets (I have averaged about 1 every 3 years). Each time I have gone to court simply to have it reduced to some non moving violation so as not to get the points. I have been successful in doing this every time. I go to court and tell the DA or Judge that I made a mistake but have a clean driving record and would like to keep it that way. With the few tickets I have had they have either reduced it to a non-moving and made me pay the fine thus eliminating the point or once I had to pay the fine then take an 8 hour defensive driving class which removed it from the record.

Now that's encouraging! Actually, it's the 'safe driver points' that I would like to avoid the most. I'll pay the #$&! fine, but it's the cost of my insurance that's a bigger deal. Maybe I'll try it your way!

jss101
08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
You guys have such cool technology on your highways. OTOH, our roads are smooth, but the bridges keep falling down. I blame the State Patrol for that, for not writing enough traffic citations, as well as the bastards who keep squandering tax dollars by fighting their speeding tickets.

Oooh. Harsh!

bigmac
08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Oooh. Harsh!That was a joke...I say a joke, son...

bigmac
08-23-2007, 02:58 PM
"swat guys are uptight."

NAH! we just get bored easily :)

Just jokin' around. I suspect Ric was poking me a little as I'm a "swatguy" too.

Leroy
08-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Seriously, maybe we should just eliminate speeding tickets! Seems to be pretty easy to get out of one if you want to....;) I doubt speeding tickets are revenue positive anyway.

I'll call it the common sense law, everyone just drive at the speed that seems like common sense to them! :D

I am going to try all of the tricks listed here on my next ticket.

trickskier
08-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Seriously, maybe we should just eliminate speeding tickets! Seems to be pretty easy to get out of one if you want to....;)

I like to refer to them as "FAST DRIVING AWARDS" ;)

Ric
08-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Just jokin' around. I suspect Ric was poking me a little as I'm a "swatguy" too. I do what I can :D

bigmac
08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
I do what I can :D

And you do it well!!

puck_11
08-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Nice! Never heard that one before

TX.X-30 fan
08-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Did you see that bright light in the southern sky last night.:confused: It just appeared and hovered for a few and then was gone again in an instant. :confused:

Just thought YOU might have seen it Ric. 8p

jss101
08-23-2007, 07:17 PM

Ha! Tell that to my bank account!!!
Some award.
:( :D

Ric
08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Did you see that bright light in the southern sky last night.:confused: It just appeared and hovered for a few and then was gone again in an instant. :confused:

Just thought YOU might have seen it Ric. 8phmmmmmmmmmmmmm

swatguy
08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
BigMAc

Didn't know. HAHAHA Still say we get bored easily. Especially when you just had your knee reconstructed(tore ACL MCL And Meniscus) and can't do anything for 4-6months. Hey if you're gonna do something you have to go all out and make it official:D

atlfootr
08-24-2007, 08:14 PM
You gotta watch out for those small 1 red light towns ...
traveling through Tennnesse / Georgia.

Leroy
08-24-2007, 09:42 PM
This thread is funny, it's one of the threads that is so off topic, so interesting and will never die. :D

I consider a ticket about every 3 years the price to fly low!

79stars&stripes
08-24-2007, 10:10 PM
boy do i no that feeling. claim no contest, hopefully they will drop the fine some and call it a day.

Ric
08-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I see no reason to jack this thread

Leroy
10-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Wonder if I can do the same process for a drinking ticket. My son was given a ticket for 0.02. He was passenger in car, they did not do anything wrong, cop just pulled them over. This is at Indiana University, from what I hear they have cracked down on drinking this year. Seems crazy to me. My 19 year old son told me he had 2 beers 4 hours before this test.

Ticket is $400...

Comments?

Lots of ways to do it, but look to see if that particular jurisdiction has an alternative program (no plea, pay a little more, case dismissed, no points or record) or a diversion program (plead guilty, ruling stayed, traffic school, no ticket for 90 days = case is dismissed - this option often requires some juice with the county attorney's office and it helps to know the judge).

If not, first thing to do is go to the traffic court on the arraignment date listed and plead not guilty. Once you get a trial date, wait a couple of weeks and then go down to the court clerk's office and file for a continuance. While you're there, have the clerk provide you with the documents for filing a discovery motion and apply for copies of the calibration data on the radar unit as well as its maintenance records. Also file for the police officer's certificate of training on that device as well as a copy of HIS copy of the ticket and his notes. Sometime before the trial date, file for another continuance. If you can get away with it, file for a third continuance as that date approaches. If you want to take a little bit of a chance, and depending on how desperate you are to get out of the ticket, try to get an appointment with the prosecutor's office to discuss the ticket and offer a plea deal. They may bite on it and might offer diversion or an alternative program.

Statistically, most people who go through this rigamarole will get the case dropped unless the violation was something really egregious. They count of most people just shrugging, pleading guilty, paying the fine so that they don't have to hassle with court. If you don't mind those hassles, the odds are in your favor.

bigmac
10-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Wonder if I can do the same process for a drinking ticket. My son was given a ticket for 0.02. He was passenger in car, they did not do anything wrong, cop just pulled them over. This is at Indiana University, from what I hear they have cracked down on drinking this year. Seems crazy to me. My 19 year old son told me he had 2 beers 4 hours before this test.

Ticket is $400...

Comments?

I would. Same process. Make them prove their case. Innocent until proven guilty. It's only $400, but make your son do the leg work. It will be a good education in American jurisprudence. From what you say, the worst that can happen is that he is found guilty and has to pay $400.

Hoosier Bob
10-31-2007, 12:59 AM
First off I was not drinkng! Secondly my supposedly bad arse Beltronics radar detector that powers up fine yet detects nothing has a default! Thirdly if the speed limit was 55 MPH but I only had planned on driving for 20 minutes should I not be able to go much faster, like 165?:confused:

mitch
10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
First off I was not drinkng! Secondly my supposedly bad arse Beltronics radar detector that powers up fine yet detects nothing has a default! Thirdly if the speed limit was 55 MPH but I only had planned on driving for 20 minutes should I not be able to go much faster, like 165?:confused:

I stopped using a detector a couple of years ago. They're all using laser now, and unless that thing is pointed right at your detector, forgitaboutit. Those things are scoped and they hit it on the license plate. They're still good for picking up local cops who ride thru town w/ the radar on.

I would suggest reading the book- 'The speeders guide to avoiding tickets' It was written by a retired NY state trooper. Its a good read and using the tips in this book, I had a NH state trooper let me go w/ a verbal warning-->79 in a 55. Those guys never let you off.

mitch
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Here's a link to the book, Amazon will let you read a couple of pgs.

http://www.amazon.com/Speeders-Guide-Avoiding-Tickets/dp/0380807580

TMCNo1
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
I know a fellow who got a speeding ticket thrown out of court, because his dash mounted Garmin GPS showed his speed history and he downloaded it and also took the GPS to court and it showed he was not speeding compared to what the policeman alledged he clocked him at with a radar gun.

mlay
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Just a quick question that I hope someone can assist me with. I was pulled over for a tag light being out, the officer stated that was the reason. After checking insurance, license,etc, he sent us on our way with a warning, no ticket just a verbal warning. I did not argue about it at the time. However, my light was not out, working fine and when I called to complain I was forwarded to the officer and he said it must have been a short because when he saw it, it was out. He made it sound as if he did me a favor by sending me on my way. I figure what was he going to write a ticket for, nothing was wrong. My vechicle would have alerted to to any blown light so I know he was wrong, just looking for drunk drivers. Question, can I get a copy of the dash cam video and if so and it clearly shows the light was fine, can I pursue an illegal stop?

bigmac
07-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I know a fellow who got a speeding ticket thrown out of court, because his dash mounted Garmin GPS showed his speed history and he downloaded it and also took the GPS to court and it showed he was not speeding compared to what the policeman alledged he clocked him at with a radar gun.

Must have been a junior DA prosecuting that case. I can't imagine him/her not objecting to that evidence, and if they did, I can't imagine the judge not throwing it out.

bigmac
07-03-2009, 02:43 PM
My vechicle would have alerted to to any blown light so I know he was wrong, just looking for drunk drivers. Question, can I get a copy of the dash cam video and if so and it clearly shows the light was fine, can I pursue an illegal stop?

Your vehicle would let you know about a blown license tag light? Wow! Pretty fancy car. What vehicle does that?

My vechicle would have alerted to to any blown light so I know he was wrong, just looking for drunk drivers. Question, can I get a copy of the dash cam video and if so and it clearly shows the light was fine, can I pursue an illegal stop?

To what end...just to beef the cop?

I can't think of a reason I'd want to TRY to cause trouble for him over this issue, certainly not enough to go to all the trouble and expense of getting a subpoena for his dashcam records. Since no citation was issued, you'd get nothing back except the satisfaction that you caused trouble for a cop who was trying to get drunk drivers off the road.

mlay
07-03-2009, 02:53 PM
And let me pre-empt any assumptions here. I have the upmost respect for our law inforcement officers. I have no problem with check points and even getting a duly justified ticket. I do however have problem being stopped for no reason and then being told I am lucky to get off with a warning when I know for a fact I was doing nothing wrong. Every profession has its good and bad and should police themselves. I don't even want to seek any monetary ( sueing them) action, just an admittal that the officer was wrong and he had no legal reason to stop me. Not that I should be happy he didn't write me a ticket. It will be Monday before I can speak to the Captain but until then I am just venting. Oh, well, its Friday, time for a drink, and let the wife drive.... the lake is waiting.

mlay
07-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Not wanting to beef the cop, he was doing what he thought was best but figure he could lie better than that or atleast admit he was in the wrong and not me. Its not worth fighting but still pisses me off. They had plenty of others pulled over and I am sure most of them were valid. Just don't make it seem like he did me a favor, I did nothing wrong and he was well aware of it.
Live and let die...its July 4th weekend and I am going to spend it tipping one back saluting our military and ensuring my kids know why.

bigmac
07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
You should complain to his captain, but follow up with letter, with a copy to the Police Commission, the Chief, and to the District Attorney. Find out if the police agency has some kind of civilian review board and send a letter to them too.

Bear in mind that, from a practical standpoint, police can pull you over for no definable reason at all. You can (and should) complain, but practically speaking he broke no law. In your case, he ostensibly made up a BS reason (tag light), but he didn't really have to give you ANY reason, or could have made up something else. Now, if he had actually cited you for something, his reason for pulling you over would definitely become a key "probable cause" point in your defense as well as your discovery motion for the dash cam video, but since he didn't cite you, I suspect this issue isn't going to get much traction. Write your letters, make your phone calls, and move on.

What kind of car do you drive that will warn you of a bad license tag light?

TX.X-30 fan
07-04-2009, 11:34 AM
All this time I thought you were a doctor, and now an attorney too??? I am having an anxiety attack and feelings of inadequacy.

bigmac
07-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Close friend is the county attorney, close friend is the county Sheriff, next door neighbor is a State Patrol Lieutenant, and up until I was recently fired I was the Assistant Coroner for this county and spent a fair amount of time in court. And, I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express once.

TX.X-30 fan
07-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Close friend is the county attorney, close friend is the county Sheriff, next door neighbor is a State Patrol Lieutenant, and up until I was recently fired I was the Assistant Coroner for this county and spent a fair amount of time in court. And, I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express once.

:D:D I knew it.

( I was recently fired ) This is not going to look well on the resume. :(

bigmac
07-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, my boss, who's the Medical Examiner, her forensic pathology group lost the contract for services to the county. I worked for her (you've seen her on True TV, I'm sure), so, although I'm still sworn as far as the county is concerned and am still listed as a Death Investigator, the new ME doesn't call me anymore. Not really fired, I guess, just taken out of the loop.

djhuff
07-06-2009, 04:43 PM
mlay,
I'd let it go, although if this was in NC and the officer was looking for drunks, the lack of the light being out would actually be grounds for dismissal. I had a friend get out of a DUI because the officer cited that he was pulled for having an illegal license plate cover, but it was perfectly legal. He actually passed all of the roadside tests, but blew a .09. The case was thrown out due to the fact the officer's ticket did not demonstrate probable cause.

canadianskier
07-07-2009, 02:21 AM

your first sentence says you are driving like a bat outta hell, and your mad that you got a speeding ticket? Its your fault pay the fine and do us a favor and slow down

mlay
07-07-2009, 04:47 PM
mlay,
I'd let it go, although if this was in NC and the officer was looking for drunks, the lack of the light being out would actually be grounds for dismissal. I had a friend get out of a DUI because the officer cited that he was pulled for having an illegal license plate cover, but it was perfectly legal. He actually passed all of the roadside tests, but blew a .09. The case was thrown out due to the fact the officer's ticket did not demonstrate probable cause.

Thanks djhuff, and the rest who offered advice.
For those of you who asked, I was wrong, my vehicle does not tell me a tag light is out, I pulled one out just to check for myself. I was mistaken.
Though I do feel harrassed, I did not receive a written citation and decided not to let it ruin my 4th weekend. I decided to forget the entire thing and figure what they were doing probably did get some folks off the road who did not need to be driving.
Also, he may have been young and inexperienced and I would hate to possibly put a blemish on his record just for this.
Live, learn, love, and drink :rolleyes:

jss101
07-07-2009, 04:49 PM
your first sentence says you are driving like a bat outta hell, and your mad that you got a speeding ticket? Its your fault pay the fine and do us a favor and slow down

Proof that good threads never die! Canadianskier I was surprised to see your comment given that this happened two years ago!

By the way, for the record - I did pay the fine like a good upstanding citizen.
I was frustrated to have my dash to the lake interrupted by the harsh realities of law enforcement - and had to vent on TT!

Now I'm completely reformed and don't even speed my 205V in no-wake zones! :rolleyes: