PDA

View Full Version : What kind of mushrooms did they put on my pizza?!?!?!?

milkmania
03-01-2005, 05:22 PM
I kid you not!
but there are two woodpeckers that are 12 to 14 inches tall on one of my pecan trees !!!!
yes, they're real too:o

east tx skier
03-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Them's some big woodpeckers.

/what did Ackroyd (as Jimmy Carter) tell that caller to do?

"No wait, I think I can help this fellow. Was it barrel-shaped? Okay, it sounds like you took some orange sunshine. I want you to turn the lights down low and listen to some soothing music. Do you have any James Taylor?"

Professor
03-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Sounds like the "pilated woodpecker." The ivory bill is believed to be extinct. Attached a pic from a internet file (the smaller bird is a tufted titmouse).

milkmania
03-01-2005, 06:04 PM
they look like freaks of nature!!!!!

you can hear them take flight 50 yards away

Identification Tips:

Length: 15 inches
Very large (crow-sized) black and white woodpecker
Prominent red crest at rear of head
White throat
Entirely black body plumage at rest except a white line that extends from bill down sides of neck to upper flanks
In flight shows pale bases to primaries on upperwing and entirely white underwing covert

bradamerry
03-01-2005, 06:05 PM
they look like freaks of nature!!!!!

you can hear them take flight 50 yards away
12 guage, look big enough to mount!

milkmania
03-01-2005, 06:07 PM
12 guage, look big enough to mount!

thay are bigger than the quail & doves around here....

I noticed the little ordinary peckers won't jack with them!!!:popcorn:

bradamerry
03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
thay are bigger than the quail & doves around here....

I noticed the little ordinary peckers won't jack with them!!!:popcorn:
Too many Jokes :rolleyes: ! I don't believe I will touch this one :D !

milkmania
03-01-2005, 06:13 PM
if those things make my pecan trees look like this

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/Birds/pileated%20woodpecker/pileated_hole2.jpg

Shotgun is in order!!!!!!!

bradamerry
03-01-2005, 06:15 PM
They almost didn't make it this long :eek: !

Leroy
03-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey Milkmania; I've heard they like fiberglass also! Don't think I believe that, but let us know what happens :D

ski_king
03-01-2005, 06:18 PM
A hunting buddy of mine did shoot one once when we were out grouse hunting. Heavly wooded area, he thouht it was a grouse when he kicked it out.
We didn't know what it was till we got home and looked it up and found it to be protected.

milkmania
03-01-2005, 06:23 PM
They almost didn't make it this long LOL!

Hey Milkmania; I've heard they like fiberglass also! Don't think I believe that, but let us know what happens that's just.......mean!!!
wonder what the insurance agent would say if I told him woodpeckers got my boat:purplaugh

We didn't know what it was till we got home and looked it up and found it to be protected. just my luck, I get swarmed by prehistoric birds that look like buzzards and woodpeckers been doing the nasty, and don'tcha know they're protected....sheesh!

Professor
03-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I think I would worry about the “ordinary little peckers”. Napoleon complex ;)

Farmer Ted
03-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Sounds like the "pilated woodpecker." The ivory bill is believed to be extinct. Attached a pic from a internet file (the smaller bird is a tufted titmouse).

huh huh huh he said "tit"

...shut up Beavis...

milkmania
03-01-2005, 06:39 PM
I was gonna say that didn't look like the titmouse that's been circulating the internet for years:purplaugh

but I restrained myself, although briefly:headbang:

Professor
03-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Good to be of service guys...finally some of my humor hits home

MarkP
03-01-2005, 07:40 PM
LOL!

just my luck, I get swarmed by prehistoric birds that look like buzzards and woodpeckers been doing the nasty, and don'tcha know they're protected....sheesh!

Dont worry, they'll be gone after the they get all the bugs:popcorn: