PDA

View Full Version : Bow scuff plate

surfacetension
08-22-2007, 02:29 PM
I found a SS bow plate that surround the eye hook . to keep the boat from being scratched when I launch it. I wonder if I have to worry about the radius of the plate ? The X 2 has an almost flat profile not a sharp V like most boats?? I guess I could bend it

dmayer84
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Many others have carpeted the boat buddy so that it does not leave scuff marks.

TMCNo1
08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
I found a SS bow plate that surround the eye hook . to keep the boat from being scratched when I launch it. I wonder if I have to worry about the radius of the plate ? The X 2 has an almost flat profile not a sharp V like most boats?? I guess I could bend it
Does it come flat or already bent?

---If it's already bent and it is bent too much, lay it down on a carpeted floor, cover with a towel and place a small piece of plywood over it and gently step on it till you take enought bend out.

---If it's flat, mark the centerline of the plate with masking tape, sandwich the plate between (2) 2"x4" and c-clamp the 2"X4"'s together tight with the centerline mark along the edge of the 2"x4"'s and gently bend the plate with your hand till you match the keel angle. Simular to this, I have a drawing boad with (2) 2"x4"'s butted trogether that I use to bend small metal pieces.

SoCalBrew
08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Anyone have any guides on carpeting their boat buddy... I'm tired of having the bb rub off on the bow of my x-15 everytime in and out.

Tom

TMCNo1
08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Anyone have any guides on carpeting their boat buddy... I'm tired of having the bb rub off on the bow of my x-15 everytime in and out.

Tom
Try this thread,http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16363&highlight=Boat+Buddy

TMCNo1
08-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Prior to the current notch/fitting in the hull for the shaft to exit the hull, the hull was core drilled and it left a ugly hole in the hull. I cut and bent a .040" Polished S/S sheet wedge with a 3/4" hole drilled in the front, that I mounted over the hull hole with 3M 1/2" wide black Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape, using the bending method above, that was 15 years ago and it has never come off. I also have a wedge wing over the drain plug thru-hull fitting too.

H20skeefreek
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
TMC, what's the purpose?

TMCNo1
08-22-2007, 07:22 PM
TMC, what's the purpose?

It hides the ugly elongated oval core drilled hole thru the hull where the prop shaft exits the hull. Same reason MC redesigned that area with a inset notch in the hull and the shaft exits the hull from a nice hole from the stuffing box. There is a hole in the front of it to scoop and allow water to enter and keep the shaft/stuffing box cool and lubed.