PDA

View Full Version : Help '07, '08 X-Star Owners - Tower Braces

SaltwaterMC
08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, I need some help from the fellow '07 and '08 X-Star owners. I contacted my dealer in regards to purchasing the new braces for our X-Star tower. After my local dealer called MasterCraft, they informed me that MC is not offering the braces for the X-Star or the 280 as they feel as though the bigger diameter tubing on these towers does not necessitate the braces. Unfortunately, I have already had the upper portion of our tower replaced under warranty due to the welds cracking (from excess side to side tower movement) where the rear legs connect to this part of the tower. I have also seen the same problem occur on a 2007 280. The cracked welds on our tower occurred prior to the addition of any tower accessories, and we now have 4 tower speakers and the rear facing light bar. When you couple the weight of those accessories with the weight of loaded board racks, I know it is only a matter of time before the welds crack again. So, I ask you fellow '07 and '08 X-Star/280 owners to please call MasterCraft and request that they make these braces available to us owners. I speculate it will be much less expensive to purchase these braces than to have part of your tower replaced once it is out of warranty. Thanks so much!

P.S. I have installed the braces on a 2008 X-2 with 4 tower speakers and it is amazing how rigid they make the tower.

surfacetension
08-22-2007, 12:45 AM
The braces are 313.00 , I just got my X 2 and called Master craft, they told me it would be under warr. Even if I didn't get them to cover it I would still put them on

Mag_Red
08-22-2007, 12:48 AM
for the uninformed...........do you have any pics of these braces????

onewheat
08-22-2007, 01:48 AM
There are some pics in this thread

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18269

SaltwaterMC
08-22-2007, 02:29 AM
The braces aren't universal fit, they are model specific. I have already tried the braces off of an X-15 and X-30 and they don't work. Both my dealer and myself contacted MC about the braces for an X-Star and we both got the same response: They are not making them for the X-Star or 280 as they believe they are not necessary due to the larger tube diameter.

X-Aggie
08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Well as ugly as those things are I agree they are needed. The tower on my '07 sways worse than Courtney Love after an Intervention. I'm going to be interested to see what kind of response this gets. In addition I will try MC directly as well.

surfacetension
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I was a Ford dealer for 15 years , Mastercraft does not want to do a recall on ALL there towers and dealers should NOT have to pay, so what they do is oil the sqeaky wheels. If you ask nice and tell them how happy you are with your MC I think you may get them to make it a warr. item. BUT even if they don't YOU still need to get them ( 313.00)

Funny that they call these tower 0 flex. Like all things some nitwit did the design and it looked good on paper so off it went to production

I test drove an 08 X 2 and the NEW all in one super gauge crapped out on the test ride, That was part of the reason I went with the 07 , I think the design dept needs to spend more time with R and D , so they don't bury the SALES dept with all of there wild but ****ty idea's

SaltwaterMC
08-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Please understand that I am not complaining about MC. My dealer, Bay Area Water Sports and MC have always taken care of every issue I have had. I just want to see if MC is willing to make these available for the '07 and '08 X-Star so that I can get them, and I don't mind paying a fair price. I also don't see this site as a place to complain, if I have an issue, I will take it up with my dealer and MC, not on this forum.

TheOneandOnly
08-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Does the 2008 x2 need the braces or did mastercraft redesign to make it look better? Anyone have pics?

SaltwaterMC
08-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Any other '07 and '08 X-Star owners have the same welds discussed above crack?

X-Aggie
08-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Well just as said Salt, I think it's kinda wishy washy to offer the brace to all other boats and exclude the X-Star(X-80). I will second the opinion that my tower shakes A LOT more than it should. To pass off a design flaw on 1/4 inch more diameter tower is ignorant IMHO for a company that is so lauded for good final product.

SaltwaterMC
08-23-2007, 10:26 PM
I totally agree, hopefully if enough people share this opinion and make it known, MC will acknowledge the need for the braces on these 2 boats and make them available to owners.

SDAhockey21
08-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey Josh,

This concerns we a lot and I will be calling my dealer tommarrow to see what they can do.

Now is this a validated warrenty issue? I will MC give us the braces if asked for?

My Tower is also Fully Loaded 4 speakers 2 Forward lights and it shakes a lot, and the other day while pulling up a wakeboarder it let out a sweak. Turns out the two bolts where the tower leg joins the main tower bar was lose and I could litterally pivot the tower on this point.

Another thing to think about Josh, your boat was probly put through some rough water in the MC Demo/Photoshoot so that could be why your welds broke prematurely. Just a thought

SDAhockey21
08-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Maybe you could get a brace of of an X2 show it to a custom weld guy and he can probley build you a custom one from scratch or mod one from another boat. Just Ideas. Best thing still would be for MasterCraft to regonize the problem and fix it....

SDAhockey21
08-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Found a picture on boat trader of an 08 x2, every 08 I have seen with JL's has had the braces... Besides X-Star and Up.....

So I am assuming MC should rightfully supply all 07 owners with JL's with these braces since they added them on to the 08's to fix the problem we are experiancing....

http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/3174250/89779498_2.jpg

SaltwaterMC
08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the input SDA. I don't think the welds should break period, regardless of what the boat went through. The fact that they did, to me, suggests the need for the braces. As I mentioned before, I have installed the braces on boats at work and it is amazing how much it stiffens up a fully loaded tower. It makes it rock solid. I have thought about taking braces from another 2008 MC to a friend of mine who does custom steel and aluminum work but I am hoping MC will come through for me as they have on every other issue I have had. I think it is only fair for me to at least give them a chance to resolve the issue.

SDAhockey21
08-24-2007, 12:55 AM
So should I be able to get these braces free of chrage for my boat??

SDAhockey21
08-24-2007, 01:05 AM
And any other Issues I should be looking out for?

X-Aggie
08-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Will elaborate when sober, but MC will have some serious issues on it's hands if they don't make us poor '07 owners happy.

eswolfgang
08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I just put on the braces for my 07 X2. They work well. Took me about 45 minutes to do the install. MC covered the cost of the braces, I chose to do the install. When I picked up my braces I am almost positive that I saw an X-Star with them...I will have to verify this though...

bobx1
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know if this applies to the X1? I have an 07 x1 with the "zero flex" and it shakes more than Rosie O'Donnel's rear end in a pogo stick jumping contest. I want to be able to give this information to my dealer to see if I can get some help from MC.

SaltwaterMC
08-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I just put on the braces for my 07 X2. They work well. Took me about 45 minutes to do the install. MC covered the cost of the braces, I chose to do the install. When I picked up my braces I am almost positive that I saw an X-Star with them...I will have to verify this though...

Please let me know if there is indeed an X-Star with braces.

SDAhockey21
08-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Josh,

I was just informed by my dealer that the later 07 Models had better reinfored welds. Your boat was probly one of the first 07s since it was a photoshoot boat and your tower probably didn't have reinfored welds. But your new main bar should soo....

Anyways my dealer is getting me a set regardless. Thanks Carolina MC!!

SaltwaterMC
08-24-2007, 08:54 PM
SDA, you are correct, the welds on the new piece are more substantial. However, I know there is a lot of weight on that tower and we go through some pretty rough seas on a regular basis, so I want the braces regardless. How you liking your new boat by the way?

ProTour X9
08-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey did you ever jump it??? :D

SDAhockey21
08-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Love My X2!! My dealer is geting me braces. And we also go through some rough water, the Bay chops up pretty good in the afternoon and my tower is also loaded. I never really had problems with the tower shaking to bad at lakes, the only time it shakes for me at lakes is when I go over double ups or surf wakes. But in the baby on a bad day its like hiting a double up ever 5 seconds...

I also told them about the squeak and they would get braces for me. My dealer is the best!

SDAhockey21
08-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey Josh,

Post some pictures of your boat man!

jsnipes
08-25-2007, 02:18 PM
SDA,

I assume you're dealing with Chad at Carolina MC. You are right ... he's a great guy and committed to doing the right thing. Glad to hear others have been happy with their service too.

JS

ridehype4life
08-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Those braces don't look all that bad from that angle on the red and white 08 X2; The other pics floating around suggest otherwise...

SDAhockey21
08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
SDA,

I assume you're dealing with Chad at Carolina MC. You are right ... he's a great guy and committed to doing the right thing. Glad to hear others have been happy with their service too.

JS

Honestly Chad is the one of the BEST guys I have ever delt with, he really gets to know you and is totally commited to minimal down time and doing the right thing. We had a lot of little hicups (check vavles mounted wrong, bad dripless seal which made the most anonying squeak ever!!, and now tower shake) on our 07 and he got all of those ironed out for us right away. Chad made the process totally painless and we were back on the water in no time. Paul the serivce guy is great too!! Can't beat same day serive!!! Carolina MC ROCKS

SaltwaterMC
08-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I'll get pics up soon. The boat is in the shop again due to a little accident, but it should be back soon. By the way, if any of you have an X-Star, call MC and tell them to offer braces for the tower! Thanks.

dannmarlifts
09-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I will deffinately do that.
thanks for the help.

SDAhockey21
09-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Got my braces on and it really helped a lot. Haven't been able to really water test it or ride behind it, but the tower is very rigid now. Thank you for calling this issue to my attention Josh. I hope you can resolve you issue soon!

Good Luck,
Sam

SaltwaterMC
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Hopefully people will continue to call MC and let them know that we need them on our X-Stars. I am glad you got a set for your boat Sam. Take care and give me a shout if you ever come down to the Tampa area.

JGMinano
09-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Anyone experience any "clearance" issues between the braces and wakeboards/skis (particularly the bindings)? I have not seen the installed braces in person, and want to avoid creating a new problem (racks won't fully swivel while loaded with equipment) in trying to fix an existing problem (significant tower sway on my 07 X-2). Thanks.

magnum
07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Is there a reason Mastercraft is not offering these for the 06 X-Star, I have heard the tubing is larger on 06, Is this True?

dapicatti
07-27-2008, 08:30 PM
06 different design on the tower, shouldn't have the issue.

ridesdirt
07-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't have the link, but they ARE available for the 07/08 X-Star. I have them on mine.

I posted a picture in a different thread.

I'll try to do it again
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/ridesdirt/x-star/DSCF0704.jpg

grijalavanation
07-29-2008, 05:16 AM
I have a 2007 x2 . I emailed mastercraft , told them my tower shook alot and they had me contact my dealer. My dealer got in contact with mastercaft. Mastercraft sent out the braces that are badass billet style. Dealer installes them and it didnt cost me a dime. My suggestion is to contact mastercraft first. If you try to go through the dealer youll most likely get the runn around. Once you get the approval through mastercraft the dealer has to honor it

capnkirk52
07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I just got mine last week, took me about an hour to put them on. Didn't pay a dime. Thanks MC!

bsrober3
07-11-2009, 10:27 PM
grijalavanation (or anybody else) How do you contact mastercraft? I have a local MC dealer but sometimes he is difficult to work with. I need to get these braces for my 07 X2.

Thanks,
Scott

magnum
07-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Has any 06 X-Star Owners put these braces on theirs, I have asked the Dealer and they say they are NOT needed for an 06 but I rode in a New 08 x-star yesterday with the braces and it was ROCK solid, Mine moves back & forth a lot

magnum
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
bump, anyone have any input about these braces for an 06 X-Star

Jim@BAWS
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
bump, anyone have any input about these braces for an 06 X-Star

Different tower...they will not work. Nor are they needed

Jim@BAWS

craig3972
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Jim@BAWS

I also have an 06 xstar , and yes they are needed. My tower sways side to side since it was new - making bad creaking sounds all the while. My buddy has an 08 x2 with braces and it is solid.
You could buy a set of braces, but you would have to fabricate tower mounting locations - not really worth the effort it would take IMO.

magnum
07-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Jim@BAWS
Why does Mastercraft think they are not needed? I was able to ride in a new 08 X-Star over the weekend in a tournament and that tower did not move at all , my tower moves so much that I had to replace the tower pads because it was pushing them out, The new ones are beginning to do the same, Is there anyone at Mastercraft that I could contact, this seems to be an issue but I keep being told they are not needed, A tower should not rock back & forth that much if the new ones don't

craig3972
07-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Why does Mastercraft think they are not needed? I was able to ride in a new 08 X-Star over the weekend in a tournament and that tower did not move at all , my tower moves so much that I had to replace the tower pads because it was pushing them out, The new ones are beginning to do the same, Is there anyone at Mastercraft that I could contact, this seems to be an issue but I keep being told they are not needed, A tower should not rock back & forth that much if the new ones don't

i took mine into the dealer when the tower pads were coming out the sides - their fix was to cut off the material that had squeezed out. I have come to the conclusion that you just have to live with it. Do you also have cracks in your gelcoat where the tower mounts?

magnum
07-13-2009, 02:22 PM
i took mine into the dealer when the tower pads were coming out the sides - their fix was to cut off the material that had squeezed out. I have come to the conclusion that you just have to live with it. Do you also have cracks in your gelcoat where the tower mounts?
I do not have any gelcoat cracked caused from this , that is not a good solution to just cut off the rubber pad that squeezes out , as much as these boats cost , they need to do something about this, they did on the 07 models up but I am not going to stop till a solution is found

craig3972
07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I do not have any gelcoat cracked caused from this , that is not a good solution to just cut off the rubber pad that squeezes out , as much as these boats cost , they need to do something about this, they did on the 07 models up but I am not going to stop till a solution is found

let me know what solution you arrive at. I believe they put the 06's together not knowing there would be any problems with they way the towers were mounted, thats why they changed it in later on. I guess thats why we always keep buying new stuff.