PDA

View Full Version : OOPS at Shasta!!

fortheboyz
08-21-2007, 09:10 PM
So we were taking a stroll up the Mc Cloud Arm, looking for glass water and BAM, came across a hidden rock or stump (never saw it) instead. Heard the noise you don't want to hear and cut the engine. Opened the engine cover, whew...no water coming in but jumped in a felt a crumpled prop.

Needless to say, after cruising back to the houseboat at 5 mpr, got the boat out of the water to pull the prop and saw the nice chunk out of the hull.

OK, what is the BEST suggestion for fixing the hull? Want to get this done before we close it up for the winter.

sand2snow22
08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Take it to your dealer or someone very experienced in glass work. The guy at my dealer is awesome. He's fixed many spider cracks for me, hope I never have to use him for that much damage.....

88 PS190
08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
look around for the best glass guy you can find.

When someone does a shoddy job on that sort of thing you'll keep having problems.

Monte
08-21-2007, 09:20 PM
So we were taking a stroll up the Mc Cloud Arm, looking for glass water and BAM, came across a hidden rock or stump (never saw it) instead. Heard the noise you don't want to hear and cut the engine. Opened the engine cover, whew...no water coming in but jumped in a felt a crumpled prop.

Needless to say, after cruising back to the houseboat at 5 mpr, got the boat out of the water to pull the prop and saw the nice chunk out of the hull.

OK, what is the BEST suggestion for fixing the hull? Want to get this done before we close it up for the winter.

OUCH!:( My best advice is to find somebody who knows how to repair fiberglass.. Maybe an auto body shop.. Dayum sorry for your luck! There are a couple of good props for sale in the market place too!

rektek
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
hard to tell from the pic but it looks like Gelcoat damage only ?

Maristar210
08-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Gelcoat guy can fix that. Find a shaft to mount that trophy prop in your garage cause thats junk.... Sorry...

Steve

fortheboyz
08-21-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm hoping for Gelcoat...and the prop will be mounted proudly with much regret. :(

fortheboyz
08-21-2007, 09:41 PM
As for the Gelcoat...resin or putty (paste)? Marine-tex?

JimN
08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Looks like an OJ- send it to them and see if they can resurrect it. Find a fiberglass shop with a great reputation for their work. This is an insurance deal. Get it done right.

88 PS190
08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
that isn't a do it yourself first try gelcoat repair such as fixing a nick where someone clipped the hull dragging up the anchor, or where it clipped a dock.
white is actually amazingly hard to match color wise, new boat should help.

Also get a dial indicator and check your drive shaft, I'd not be startled if it was a bit out of wack.

Monte
08-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Looks like an OJ- send it to them and see if they can resurrect it. Find a fiberglass shop with a great reputation for their work. This is an insurance deal. Get it done right.

Very true words have been spoken!:cool:

fortheboyz
08-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Yep, your both right. Didn't want to go that route but it needs to be done right & for good. Thanks!

SoCalBrew
08-22-2007, 02:52 PM
It's a drive... but, the guys down here at champion in valencia have a really great glass guy they use... seems to have no problem matching white.

M-Funf
08-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Now I remember why I don't like Shasta...a friend of mine lost the bottom out of a new boat there several years ago...total loss. It was late in the season, the lake level was low, and the rock wasn't marked.

You might want to pull the shaft and have it checked for straightness and check strut alignment while you're at it.

fortheboyz
08-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Now I remember why I don't like Shasta...a friend of mine lost the bottom out of a new boat there several years ago...total loss. It was late in the season, the lake level was low, and the rock wasn't marked.

You might want to pull the shaft and have it checked for straightness and check strut alignment while you're at it.

Yep, some renters took a houseboat up the pit river and completely ripped off the siding on both sides. In fact, when we were leaving, Holiday Harbor wasn't letting any of there fleet go up the Pit & Mc Cloud arm...wonder why?

The rock or stump wasn't marked and lucky we were going slow.

Shasta is only good in the early part of summer for lake level but cold!

Que Sera Sera!

fortheboyz
08-22-2007, 04:54 PM
OK, scheduled for repair September 24th at Cope.

One last question:

We had a day trip planned to Anderson for Labor Day...is it ok to put the MC back in the water or scratch the trip? It was our last planned trip for the summer (we garage the boat for the winter).

I'm thinking that it has dried out since Shasta and the water might expand the hull and do more damage. Either way, it's damaged. Not trying to be stupid about this, just want one more pull before summers end! :o

88 PS190
08-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I would probably try to enact repairs before that, you probably have time to get it done by then.

east tx skier
08-22-2007, 05:17 PM
hard to tell from the pic but it looks like Gelcoat damage only ?

Yup, the glass looks pretty well intact. May not be as spendy as it could have been.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Keep it dry.... and give me your reservation to Anderson. I will put it to good use and even give you a pull.

fortheboyz
08-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Keep it dry.... and give me your reservation to Anderson. I will put it to good use and even give you a pull.

We just might be taking you up on that offer.

fortheboyz
08-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Yup, the glass looks pretty well intact. May not be as spendy as it could have been.

East-
Got that closed bow your looking for...minor damage :purplaugh Oh darn, it has a tower.;)

east tx skier
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Ha! Thanks!

Don't sell it. A good glass guy will disappear that so that you will forget it was ever there.

M-Funf
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Don't sell it. A good glass guy will disappear that so that you will forget it was ever there.

I knows a guy who makes problems dissapear :rolleyes: