PDA

View Full Version : Funny Transmission Sound - Ideas??

OhioX14
08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
My new '08 X14 has the MCX and standard 1:1 transmission and my '06 X9 had the same setup with the exception that the '08 has the catalytic converters.

Since day one the transmission in this new boat emits a harmonic like tone when in forward gear at idle speed. It either goes away at faster than idle speeds or is simply drowned out by the increased engine noise. Regardless, it's an annoying sound that eveyone who rides in the boat notices, it bugs me, and the dealer says it's normal.

Anyone else experience this or know what it may be?

Thanks!:D

east tx skier
08-21-2007, 05:37 PM
My father in law's 98 did this for a period of time after he replaced the shaft. He took it to the mechanic/dealer that had done the work and asked about it. They took it out, lake tested, and said it was not a problem. Just a noise. It has since disappeared.

Possibly just the newness being broken in. Just a guess.

OhioX14
08-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Dealer called me in response to an email I sent him about this and told me it was the prop. He said that sometimes the ridges can cause a harmonic type of sound and some boats have it and some don't. Often when a boat that had it racks up a prop and the prop shop grinds a few of the ridges down while they're balancing the sound goes away. He said if the noise continues to bother us we could either change the prop or send it out to be balanced.

Thanks East for your response!