PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have thier amplifiers get wet?

skeeler
08-21-2007, 11:34 AM
I noticed when I got into the boat for the first time over the weekend, that when I turned on the stereo it sounded like crap, and would then shut off after about a minute.
Turns out, we have been getting a lot of rain over the past week, and the rain was trickling down through the edge of the snap cover or air intake vent, and into the amplifier. :mad: When it was all said done, two of the four channels are blown. I guess I have a winter project to take on now.
I was wondering where you guys put your amps, and how you were keeping them dry. Lesson learned I guess. I just thought inside the storage area would be some what dry.

Ric
08-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I noticed when I got into the boat for the first time over the weekend, that when I turned on the stereo it sounded like crap, and would then shut off after about a minute.
Turns out, we have been getting a lot of rain over the past week, and the rain was trickling down through the edge of the snap cover or air intake vent, and into the amplifier. :mad: When it was all said done, two of the four channels are blown. I guess I have a winter project to take on now.
I was wondering where you guys put your amps, and how you were keeping them dry. Lesson learned I guess. I just thought inside the storage area would be some what dry. Those alpine's are sexy!

tones03
08-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Ouch that sucks, under the observer seat is where we had ours (PS190), not sure on the bigger V drives.

tex
08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
So that's what you call those?

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-21-2007, 12:26 PM
I was wondering where you guys put your amps, and how you were keeping them dry. Lesson learned I guess. I just thought inside the storage area would be some what dry.

I had a similar issue on our '04 205v. Pulling uncovered in an absolute deluge (caught off guard :o ), I later found out one of my amps wasn't working. Found out the glovebox is an insert and no sealant is put in when it's set in place. Water ran by it right thru my amp in the passenger storage compartment. LUCKILY it was a marinized Clarion amp I won at the MC East Coast Reunion and by morning it was operating fine.

That's a sucky feeling to see/feel water dripping out the bottom or your amp when you put it in, what feels like, the most protected area.

djhuff
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Mine is under the observer seat on the X2. Factory one is mounted on the walk way side, mine is mounted on the hull side. Got caught in a monsoon, uncovered, and everything was fine.

jss101
08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
As others have said, mine is located behind the seatback under the glove compartment, on the inside wall. I think it's the dryest spot on the boat. I get some dripping into the other storage compartments too (not much, but a little if it rains a lot), but this one has (so far!) always been dry.

Your amps are much nicer though! Shame they got damaged.

skeeler
08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Mine is under the observer seat on the X2. Factory one is mounted on the walk way side, mine is mounted on the hull side. Got caught in a monsoon, uncovered, and everything was fine.
Thought about moving mine there. You have a picture? Also, did you screw right to the hull, how long screws? All these questions!!!!! :D

Archimedes
08-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Mines raised off the floor behind by observer seat, but I have a small piece of tarp in there that I can wrap over it if it rains that'll keep it dry.

Diesel
08-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Buy some "real" amps any you won't have this problem. :D

kskib046
08-21-2007, 08:58 PM
next time mount them so any openings are at the bottom, water can't go up!

Chief
08-21-2007, 09:11 PM

That's why I hate those damn cockpit covers! I thought those air intakes had a dump to the bilge.

My amp is also under the observer seat high on the walk through side.

djhuff
08-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Thought about moving mine there. You have a picture? Also, did you screw right to the hull, how long screws? All these questions!!!!! :D

Here you go, I mounted it to a piece of custom cut plywood, then covered the plywood with carpet. all of the wires are run behind the wood for a nice and clean install.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1377/1202106805_3efabfb27e.jpg?v=0