PDA

View Full Version : 205V wake - Can I make more lip at the top of the wake?

beatle78
08-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi guys,

I rode behind a Wakesetter VLX at Lake Lanier last week and I noticed the top of the wake had a REALLY nice lip. The wake height was about the same as my 205V, but that lip really bucked me upward something fierce :D with little effort.... and me being like a kid in a candy shop I WANT IT!!!

The guy told me that adding weight in the front of the boat will create more of a lip.

Does this hold true for the 205V hull?

I'm waiting for my bow sac to come in so I can try this.

Thanks,
beatle78

MYMC
08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi guys,

I rode behind a Wakesetter VLX at Lake Lanier last week and I noticed the top of the wake had a REALLY nice lip. The wake height was about the same as my 205V, but that lip really bucked me upward something fierce :D with little effort.... and me being like a kid in a candy shop I WANT IT!!!

The guy told me that adding weight in the front of the boat will create more of a lip.

Does this hold true for the 205V hull?

I'm waiting for my bow sac to come in so I can try this.

Thanks,
beatle78
Weight in the front rounds out the wake, weight in the rear adds vert...too much will cause it to wash and you'll need to speed up.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Weight in the front rounds out the wake, weight in the rear adds vert...too much will cause it to wash and you'll need to speed up.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but weight up front will also firm up the wake, correct?

MYMC
08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but weight up front will also firm up the wake, correct?
Weight period will make the wake "harder" because you are displacing more...people get this confused because they add weight to the rear only and it washes so the wake is not as firm...it is tough to add enough weight to the bow to wash out.

Speed, weight, weight location and rope length...all go hand in hand.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Weight period will make the wake "harder" because you are displacing more...people get this confused because they add weight to the rear only and it washes so the wake is not as firm...it is tough to add enough weight to the bow to wash out.

Speed, weight, weight location and rope length...all go hand in hand.

Thank you for clarifying.

Off topic: There's an engine question on your MYMC site (Prostar forum).

MYMC
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Thank you for clarifying.

Off topic: There's an engine question on your MYMC site (Prostar forum).
Headed that way next, thanks for the heads up!

Willytown
08-21-2007, 11:18 AM
On my old x2 (205v). I ran two 500's in the back and a walkway sac. even then I still prefferred to have at least two people in the bow. With that much back weight and enough bow weight to keep it from washing we usually rode around 23.5 to 24. The 205v wake is still one of my favorites. It ranks right up there with the new x2 and xstar

etakk7
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
I regularly ride on my friend's 2002 VLX (same hull as current V-ride). Most people will tell you the 205 hull produces a steeper wake (creating the "buck") you talked about when weighted the same. You need to add more weight to the back to make a steeper wake. I've heard weight in the front will harden up the wake but also make it more rampy vs. steeper.

I weight probably 60/40 towards the back and have no problems with wake wash as low as 21 mph. I like a steep wake, especially if I'm kneeboarding.

beatle78
08-21-2007, 12:20 PM
thanks everyone!

I can't wait to get this ballast system in.... still a few months away :(

MYMC, when you said "Weight in the front rounds out the wake" what exactly does that mean?

I'm having trouble getting a visual of what you're saying.

sand2snow22
08-21-2007, 01:07 PM
beatle, did the VLX have the wedge and if so was it down? My experience with Malibu's is the wedge can create the lip towards the top..........

MYMC
08-21-2007, 01:35 PM
thanks everyone!

I can't wait to get this ballast system in.... still a few months away :(

MYMC, when you said "Weight in the front rounds out the wake" what exactly does that mean?

I'm having trouble getting a visual of what you're saying.
Best way to explain it is the "peak" goes away. If you look at a wake as a take off ramp then by adding weight to the front you are making the "ramp" less vert and more round (camel hump shape, no real lip). By adding weight to the rear you are making the "ramp" more steep and the lip you are looking for will become more defined.

By way of comparison...X10's have a round wake...while X1's (and all the various VD iterations) have the steepest wake MC has built.

Willytown
08-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Bow weight basically makes the wake have a longer transition. Its best to move weight around until you find the wake's sweet spot or the style of wake you like the most.

swatguy
08-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Beatle

That boat loves weight in the bow. I run about 800-900 in the rear the Center factory ballast(300) and another 450-550 in the nose.

I leave 2 side sacs full under my front seats which I estimate at being about 175-200 or so each. Then I have a 300 lb sac which I fill to about 200 or so as well sometimes all the way if I have more than 2 people in the boat which is rare. I tried riding a couple times without that extra sac in the bow filler area and just the 2 sacs under the seats just for looks so all my ballast was hidden and I didn't have to fill up that extra sac everytime I hit the water. The wake lost a little of its kick/firmness. That extra 2-300 in that sac makes a world of difference for me at 75ft and 23.7 mph (GPS Calibrated) Without that extar sac I just don't feel that little kick at the top. Still a great meaty wake with a smoth takeoff, it just lacks the bucking feeling at the top I have grown to love.

Also wondering what kind of weight setup he's running in his bu and you are running in your 205V. Bu's are usually known for not having more of a kick at the peak than you 205V

swatguy
08-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Aslo to add to the roundiong the wake question. when you pout more weight toards the rear the wake becomes more steep. Meaning the shape is more of a straight line up so to speak for lack of better description ie / When you add weight to the front it rounds that out a bit. making it not so steep.

The key to this is to find the right ratio. Too steep of a wake will wash very easily and be very touchy. You can also blow through that wake with hard cuts much easily. When you add weight to the bow it starts to displace more water causing the wake out of the back to become thicker/more meaty/ harder to blow though. This also makes the wake transition more round rather than steep like the Vert wake allowing you to ride up the transition a little more smoothly without such an abrupt transition change. Ther key is to find the right form/setup for the board you ride. Most 3 stage boards will pop higher with a more verty wake and most continuos rocker boards perfer a little more of a mellower transition. Just the way the boards are shaped and ridden.

It's not really as scientific as that answer, but it does take some time to find the right setup for you.

What length and speed are you riding at? Also what weight config are you running right now? That will aslo change the sweet spot of the wake. Slower speeds mean the sweet spot moves in so you need a shorter length.

tommcat
08-21-2007, 02:02 PM
i add all that i can to the front(ballast and people) and then fill the rear bag to get the shape i need.
if i fill the rear all the way i cannot get enough front weight to compensate

ironj32
08-21-2007, 02:09 PM
all i know is that 800 each side of the engine plus the 300 in the center plus 1300 in the bow, plus 2 people, & 120 in lead behind the driver (makes up for the left hand rotation) is perfect.

3200 in ballast (50/50 split), 120 in lead, 300 in people, at 25 mph, at 75 feet is soooo sweet for the 205V!

beatle78
08-21-2007, 02:26 PM
ok, thanks everyone.

The BU was using ~1500 lbs of ballast(looks like stock hard tanks in the back, ski locker, and bow sacs) with the wedge up (nice lip). With the Wedge down, even better lip. I don't know the exact weight distribution.

Right now I have NO ballast. But 3 out of 4 of my fly high pro X fat sacs have arrived. :)

I was just trying to figure out how I need to weight the 205V hull to get some similar characteristics.

Thanks for all the replies. We had ~9 people in my boat one day and the wake was NICE! I can't "weight" to get the ballast system installed in the off season.

oh and I rode the LF Witness and I LOVED it! I just bought one and it will be here on Monday! The wake + that board was the best ride for my style ability I've ever ridden. (I own a Substance & Fish)

beatle78
08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
oh and we ride ~19MPH uncalibrated. Not sure if that is accurate or not.

sand2snow22
08-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm going to agree with swatguy, Malibu's wakes are known for their rampiness, not steepness. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your wake with more weight in it. 19 MPH is too slow, calibrate it with a GPS, if you don't have one, borrow one from a friend.

We ride at 22-23 MPH with 2,000 lbs of weight. Also, very important to ride at the correct line length. You'll be disappointed with the wake if you are riding a short rope......

beatle78
08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
ok, I'll try that sand2snow22.

We ride at 70' off @ 19mph (uncalibrated).

I just bought my wife a portable GPS for her car. I'll take that and calibrate the PP.

ProTour X9
08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
We ride at 70' off
Wow, are you surfing?:rolleyes: ;)

etakk7
08-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Beatle, what kind of bags did you get?

OhioX14
08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
all i know is that 800 each side of the engine plus the 300 in the center plus 1300 in the bow, plus 2 people, & 120 in lead behind the driver (makes up for the left hand rotation) is perfect.

3200 in ballast (50/50 split), 120 in lead, 300 in people, at 25 mph, at 75 feet is soooo sweet for the 205V!

Man, that's a LOT of weight! I'm guessing that's just a little more than the Coast Guard plate says you should have.

beatle78
08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I got the fly high prox bags

http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html

2 V-drive
1 tube
1 integrated bow sac

beatle78
08-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow, are you surfing?:rolleyes: ;)

haha, I guess I am. What do you ride at 80'?

ProTour X9
08-21-2007, 03:56 PM
haha, I guess I am. What do you ride at 80'?

No thats not what I meant. You said 70ft off (off normal line) so basically you're on a 5ft rope.;) :D

lassy
08-21-2007, 04:08 PM
i like the wake of my 1999 x star (205 V hull) a lot more than the Bu wake. we ride a lot behind a friends BU and i prefer mine over his. if he'll ever let us add more weight than factory ballast then it might kick up something nice, but until then i prefer the 205.

at 22.5 and 85 feet, running around 2000lbs the wake does everything for you in terms of pop. effortless edging is what i enjoy.

MYMC
08-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I got the fly high prox bags

http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html

2 drive
1 tube
1 integrated bow sac
To throw more confusion at you, when we were weighting the pro tour boat years ago it was done this way.

Fat sac each side of rear
Fat sac over the factory KGB (biased to the rear)
Fill all factory ballast
Offset weight under observer seat to offset driver

70' to 80' line at 23.5 MPH

ironj32
08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Man, that's a LOT of weight! I'm guessing that's just a little more than the Coast Guard plate says you should have.

What "Coast Guard Plate"???:D

I'm actually hoping to get the same ballast setup and have a total 7 people in there. 6 of us in the back and put on more person up front. gotta start taking some GOOD pics and videos...winters get long here in minnesnowta!

Harvey
08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I run a 550 sack in each rear locker. The KGB bag (350 maybe) and a Vdrive sack in the bow walkway (400). Then I have about 100 lbs of gear (anchors, chain, extra weight) under the front bow seat cushion. I ride at 23.7 mph at 70 feet. It's nice and firm with a crisp lip. If you add people to the mix 4 is ideal with one in the bow on on the back seat and driver/passenger. With that many people you get a really solid wake with a nice transition and a hard crisp lip. (X1 same hull)

etakk7
08-21-2007, 04:50 PM
To throw more confusion at you, when we were weighting the pro tour boat years ago it was done this way.

Fat sac each side of rear
Fat sac over the factory KGB (biased to the rear)
Fill all factory ballast
Offset weight under observer seat to offset driver

70' to 80' line at 23.5 MPH

So basically little to no weight in the bow? That must have been a real steep wake!

swatguy
08-21-2007, 08:58 PM
MYMC

Thaks for the info. Will have to try that setup next sumnmer for sure. Always wondered what they were doing with the weight back then on us classsic boat owners :D .

Beatle
The setup you bought should be perfect. I am positive if you plan on running the boat with all those filled you will def have to bump up the speed to at least 21-22mph to get into the sweet spot. My wife rides at 21.3 and usually for her we run with my bow ballast filled center bag filled and just a touch in the rear if any. If I go slower than 20.7 have to flip the switch and drain the center bag. She just rides to have fun and clears the wake. That is all. She has no desire to flip or spin. (at this point :rolleyes: buy never say never) What you have so far is a killer setup for that boat though. Pretty much identical to mine. Right on the money. You may find that when you have 4-5 adults in the cockpit that you may need some more weight up front. All in personal preference at that point :) HEre are a couple of pics, they are about 3 yrs old just something I had at my fingertips here at work to throw up of the wake with that exact setup

beatle78
08-21-2007, 10:33 PM
No thats not what I meant. You said 70ft off (off normal line) so basically you're on a 5ft rope.;) :D

ohhh, hahaha. Guess I meant a 70' mainline :)

beatle78
08-21-2007, 10:35 PM
NICE swatguy!!!

I can't wait to get this whole ballast system setup.

I also can't wait to try out my new board :) LF Witness!

beatle78
08-24-2007, 09:57 PM
:worthy:

OH MAN!!!! I 85% filled the V-drive sacks, filled the locker sac and put 2 guys in the bow tonight.... I've never been so scared/excited in my life. :eek:

I put on my Substance for the 2nd time this year and I got BOOTED!!!

THANKS GUYS!!!!

I def need another prop and a tad more weight in the bow!!!!

I'm gonna be out gone all day tomorrow away from my boat :mad:

I can't wait to get out on Sunday!!!!!!:love:

Words can't describe what the wake did for us tonight!!!!

Rich_G
08-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Yeah, you were comparing a weighted Bu w/ wedge to your boat with no weight. Not a fair comparison.

I've got the same hull, only a 99. I'm running a total of 1400 ballast, roughly 60/40 back to front, and I will move people to the front to get closer to 55/45. I have the standard 4-blade and its fine. Keep playing with it. This is a great boat.

beatle78
08-28-2007, 03:03 PM
OK, so we got out last night and we sped up the boat to ~20.5mph (uncalibrated) w/ 2 people ... driver/passenger

The wake was VERY mellow. :(

The rear sacs are almost full and the center bad is pretty much full. So I can't add any more weight to the back, plus the boat would start to porpoise occasionally in it's current configuration.

So we slowed the boat down to ~19.8 and the wake got a really nice lip on the top!

I guess I just need to get the correct weight/speed thing dialed in.

QUESTION: When I add the bow sack to the front, that will actually make the wake more mellow but firm, correct?

THANKS!

MYMC
08-28-2007, 03:24 PM
OK, so we got out last night and we sped up the boat to ~20.5mph (uncalibrated) w/ 2 people ... driver/passenger

The wake was VERY mellow. :(

The rear sacs are almost full and the center bad is pretty much full. So I can't add any more weight to the back, plus the boat would start to porpoise occasionally in it's current configuration.

So we slowed the boat down to ~19.8 and the wake got a really nice lip on the top!

I guess I just need to get the correct weight/speed thing dialed in.

QUESTION: When I add the bow sack to the front, that will actually make the wake more mellow but firm, correct?

THANKS!
Weight in the front wil round it out...I guess you could call it "more mello" but the weight being in the boat makes the wake harder (firm). If you have never calibrated the speed then they are off...and I would only use them for reference.

beatle78
08-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Weight in the front wil round it out...I guess you could call it "more mello" but the weight being in the boat makes the wake harder (firm). If you have never calibrated the speed then they are off...and I would only use them for reference.

ok thanks for confirming MYMC.

I need to try to calibrate the PP soon, especially since my speedo stopped working (I'm guessing a clogged pickup).

swatguy
08-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Beatle

Add some weight in/to the bow 300-400. TRUST ME YOU WILL LOVE THE KICK IT GIVES!

As to the speed thing. No way of telling how far you are off without calibrating it. That is a big factor as well as what length you are riding at. What line length you at? Those two other factors are huge in determining where the sweet spot of the wake is. It can be anywhere from 65-80ft depending on how much ballast and what speed you are riding at as does the depth of the water you are in. Again though if you had those Vdrive sacs filled in the rear and the Cenetr bag filled you actually had a very unevenly weighted boat. Very stern heavy which the 205V doesn't respond very well too. If you don't have a bow sac/or a sac to fill for the bow try emptying the rear bags at least 1/4. But it would be better if you added that weight to the bow. Aslo if no extra sac to add try taking your center bag out of the locker and putting it on the floor as far in the nose as you can. This boat loves to have some weight in the nose. Will also help with saving some $$ by getting you on plane faster

beatle78
08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks swatguy!

I'm riding at 70' right now.

The bow sac came in yesterday so I can now put that in and try it :)

How do you get the water to dispurse evenly on both sides of the 'V' shaped bow sac, or do I just fill it?

I looked at the Box for my V-drive sacs and they say 770lbs. I'm guessing that is the TOTAL weight of both sacs right? They only fill ~1/2-2/3 of each locker filled. Did I get the correct sacs?

1boarder
08-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I just fill it up. Take one of the seat cusions out and watch it. The pressure will equalize which will equilize the weight if it is burped.

yeah, 770 is the total weight of both bags combined

beatle78
08-28-2007, 06:01 PM
hmmm... according to Paul's pics on the bottom,

He said his sacs are 750 lbs each

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1482

Did he get custom sacs then?
What do all you other guys use in the rear lockers?

cbaird
08-28-2007, 06:28 PM
just my family in the boat we ride 2-750's in rear locker, standard center 350, and ~400 integrated bow sac. Total ~2300, at 70' plus 5' handle = 75' @ 23.5-24.5mph. This is ideal. If the water is a little choppy then we let some out of the rear. When riding with the guys 3+ I dump like a 3rd or so out of the rear otherwise you'll porpise or get an inconsistant wake.

With more weight like this you need the new wakeboard prop and PP.

my boat is the 2005 x2 mcx 350 (basically a 205v with a tower).

1boarder
08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
The question is what did you buy? If you bought FH Vdrive sacs they come in at 400 each and are sold as a pair, so 800 total when I bought them (maybe 770 total now). If you bought 2 seporate fat sacs, they are 750 each. They fill the entire compartment completely and are sold separately. I have both with quick disconnects and use both depending on how many people are in the boat. With the V drive sacs, I can still get a cooler on one side with the sac, which is nice when there are more than 3 people in the boat.

MYMC
08-28-2007, 06:56 PM
These are the only bags you'll want to use:
Pro X Series Fat Sac™ - W707
dimensions: 50 x 20 x 20 weight: 750 lbs. / 340 kg.

BTW, I'm not big on putting a weight forward...keep it over or just to the rear of the KGB locker.

CottagerGreg
08-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Any digging out some old pics from the closet? Love to see a pic of the wake.....

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-28-2007, 07:20 PM
hmmm... according to Paul's pics on the bottom,

He said his sacs are 750 lbs each

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1482

Did he get custom sacs then?
What do all you other guys use in the rear lockers?

These are the only bags you'll want to use:
Pro X Series Fat Sac™ - W707
dimensions: 50 x 20 x 20 weight: 750 lbs. / 340 kg.

Mike has it right. That's what I have. One each side of the engine.

Take care,
Paul

beatle78
08-28-2007, 07:50 PM
ahhh gotcha, actually I bought all the sacs except the 2 rear sacs. I had an old BU driver seat I traded for them. The box says 770lbs.

Paul,

How much weight do you have in the rear when you found your optimal wake? You wakesiderides signature says you put ~400 in each side of the rear.

MYMC,

Is the KGB the ski locker? So you're saying to bring the nose down by putting more weight in the middle as opposed to the bow? Any particular reason for this?

Thanks for all the replies on this!

ridehype4life
08-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Heres our X1 wake with only about 500 lbs on top of stock and 2 people in the boat at 22 mph. I'd say its pretty steep and lippy...
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/Vaughnwarrior09/2ndtolast002small.jpg

beatle78
08-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Heres our X1 wake with only about 500 lbs on top of stock and 2 people in the boat at 22 mph. I'd say its pretty steep and lippy...
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/Vaughnwarrior09/2ndtolast002small.jpg

I love the look of your wake on the right side of the picture :)

Can you tell me how the ballast is distributed around the boat?

Thanks!

sand2snow22
08-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I like the look of that wake, too. I like this shot of our dark side surf wake. Starboard ballast and belly ballast full, two people in the boat....

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC02641.jpg

swatguy
08-29-2007, 01:29 AM
If you have regular v-drive sacs they are about 350lbs a piece back in the pre Fly High Pro X Series days. So they are probably around that. Depends on company. Can't give an exact without seeing them. I think you may want to add a little more to the rear if that's the case as most of the hardcore riders are running over 500 on each side back there.

I will be running the setup MYMC spoke of this weekend to see how much different it is than the way I run mine. Will just move my 500lbs from the bow into the cockpit. Unfortunately I won't be riding to give you direct info, but will rely on some of my buds who rip. See what happens. Only down side on why I think I won't run it this way is the huge amount of floor space I am going to lose by putting this weight in the cockpit. With 2 little ones it's nice to have all that hidden up front and the sac in the center as a bow filler. But hey if it helps the wake we will have to see what happens:D

Also for those interested. I spoke with Mike Seiple directly in regards to the new V-drive Pro X Series bags. Even though the V drive sacs are stamped at 400lbs each they actually hold up to 550. Again that's per Mike Seiple from BI.

beatle78
08-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks Swatguy!

Hehe, wifey's gonna kill me soon :)

Def, let me know how the setup rides this weekend. I hear ya on the floor space. We usually need lots of it for people space.

MYMC
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I love the look of your wake on the right side of the picture :)

Can you tell me how the ballast is distributed around the boat?

Thanks!
Prop rotation is why the wake looks like that...the two sides will never be exact.

beatle78
08-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Prop rotation is why the wake looks like that...the two sides will never be exact.

oh bummer :(

hey, I'm goofy footed so that's my heelside wake :)

TX.X-30 fan
08-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Just wanted to thank all the guys posting in this thread. I have had some of these issues and there are good solutions in here. Speed, length of rope and all the ballast help.

Great thread gentlemen!!

ridehype4life
08-29-2007, 07:44 PM
All our extra weight in in the form of steel shot/sand bags. In that photo, we were running 220 in the very rear of the VDrive lockers and 320 under the seats in the bow, on top of the stock 3 tank system. That picture does not do the size of the wake justice, and I have never noticed the wake being uneven in person; I think it's just that picture.

beatle78
08-29-2007, 10:54 PM
All our extra weight in in the form of steel shot/sand bags. In that photo, we were running 220 in the very rear of the VDrive lockers and 320 under the seats in the bow, on top of the stock 3 tank system. That picture does not do the size of the wake justice, and I have never noticed the wake being uneven in person; I think it's just that picture.

Thanks!!! What does the stock system consist of?

swatguy
08-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Stock factory KGB on X1 is 300 in belly and rear 225-250 I believe it's closer to 250, having a mental lapse at moment, in hard tanks on each side of engine.

beatle78
08-30-2007, 05:11 PM

Stock factory KGB on X1 is 300 in belly and rear 225-250 I believe it's closer to 250, having a mental lapse at moment, in hard tanks on each side of engine.

thanks.

that means they had

-250lbs stock + 220lbs sand on each side of the engine. Total Rear = 940lbs
- 300lbs in the belly
- 320lbs in the bow.

My current setup will be

-770lbs in the rear
-370lbs in the belly (assuming tube sac can fill 100%)
-~325lbs in the bow (integrated bow sac filled 1/2 due to limitations in space on the 205V)

I will be out testing my setup tomorrow.

Do you think I should put less weight on the bow for now until I can get bigger sacs for the rear?

Thanks!

swatguy
08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Well I would try it both ways and see how you like it. Start by leaving the bow sac unfilled take a set. Then add half of what it can take, and then add all and see which shape you like the best all personal preference. I would stick/start at 70ft at about 21.5-22.5mph with that weight setup and see how it goes.

Let us know your thoughts.

beatle78
08-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Well I would try it both ways and see how you like it. Start by leaving the bow sac unfilled take a set. Then add half of what it can take, and then add all and see which shape you like the best all personal preference. I would stick/start at 70ft at about 21.5-22.5mph with that weight setup and see how it goes.

Let us know your thoughts.

OK, thanks! I'll let you know how I make out.

beatle78
09-01-2007, 10:07 AM
1st, Thanks to everyone on the forum for their invaluable input!!!!!

WOW, ok so we calibrated the PP and we were going ~3-4mph faster than what the PP was reading!!! That explains why we always rode between 18.1-19.5 MPH.

Once that was done we ended up riding between 21-21.5mph.

OK so the wake was HUGE! We filled the rear tanks, the ski locker, and we put ~100-200 lbs in the bow.

This worked good with 2 people in the boat. As we added 1-2 more people we put them in the bow and the wake was still SWEET!

That's more wake than we'll probably ever need.

Oh and we were riding at 70'.

Thanks!!!! I can't wait to get this system automated!

swatguy
09-01-2007, 12:09 PM
great to hear. That extra 3-4mph will def cause you wake to go away. If ou were riding at 23mph you would def need more weight, but at the speeds you're at right now you should be dialed. ENJOY!

beatle78
09-01-2007, 04:00 PM
We are DEF dialed!!! WOW!!!! I'm keeping this boat for life!!!!:D

ridehype4life
09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Good to hear man. A rule of thumb for the X1 that I go by as well with a bunch of people is to barely sink the platform underwater, and them put the rest of the weight/bodies in the mid cockpit/bow. You can get away with running 50/50 rear/bow or even 40/60 with this hull. Too much weight in the rear will result in a super steep, washy, soft wake.

beatle78
09-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Good to hear man. A rule of thumb for the X1 that I go by as well with a bunch of people is to barely sink the platform underwater, and them put the rest of the weight/bodies in the mid cockpit/bow. You can get away with running 50/50 rear/bow or even 40/60 with this hull. Too much weight in the rear will result in a super steep, washy, soft wake.

Gotcha, thanks! I'll probably end up filling the bow sac a bit more..... man, I can't wait until this system is automatic. Manual filling and tweaking is a pain!

Eagle
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I love the 205V wake too. I have an 05 X-2. Most of my crew have their own boats but they prefer my wake and ride with me if there's room. One has an MB B-52, one a CC 216 (direct drive) and one a CC 210. I don't have my boat as heavily weighted as yours. I've got the stock ballast plus 400 lbs of pop bags for a total of 1200 lbs (assuming stock is 800). 2 bags on each side in the rear, 2 bags on each side in the bow storage, and 2 in the center of the boat. I used to have 3 on each side in the rear but found the wake improved by moving a bag from each side to the middle of the boat, pretty much alongside the driver seat. It was a bit washy before, now it's really solid with a sweet lip

Beatle, let us know where you end up -- how much weight where...