PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the new VW diesel yet?

thijs
08-21-2007, 04:01 AM
Anyone try the new VW diesel yet? For fun I was making my dream 197 online and saw that the new diesel is infact an option now. I saw a thread a long time ago indicating MC might be playing with the idea.

Anybody had a chance to put this engine up against some of the higher BHP V8's?? 225BHP Diesel vs at least 310BHP V8, they must have done something to make the diesel somewhat comparable.

ski_king
08-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Anyone try the new VW diesel yet? For fun I was making my dream 197 online and saw that the new diesel is infact an option now. I saw a thread a long time ago indicating MC might be playing with the idea.

Anybody had a chance to put this engine up against some of the higher BHP V8's?? 225BHP Diesel vs at least 310BHP V8, they must have done something to make the diesel somewhat comparable.
There have been a few threads about this option, but I havn't heard of a side by side comparison with any of the gas engines.
Bottom line is it really dosn't matter as the diesel option is a $25,000 upgrade over gas.

thijs
08-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Sorry about starting another thread about this. I tried searching, but as one of our TT members SN is Diesel, there was a lot of threads to pour through.

6ballsisall
08-21-2007, 01:23 PM

No but I sure would like to try! Unfortunately with the big price tag of that motor I don't know when/if I'll get that opportunity. :(

Chicago190
08-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Here's the long thread about the VW diesel engine. It'd be cool to have if it didn't cost such a ridiculous amount.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15325&highlight=diesel

88 PS190
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I really wish it was more of an option.

Particularly running a biodiesel fuel would lower costs and reduce the risk of fuel spills.

Gasoline engines are really poor choices for boats in the long run (a bilge full of diesel won't blow up for one, and diesels don't have all the ignition parts which aren't water compatible.)

Jim@BAWS
08-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I drove a 280 with the TWIN DIESELS in them last Feb at the boat show
in Miami AWESOME to say the least. No LAG NO SMOKE and quiet as can be. Never driven or seen anythng like them. With that said
They are expensive. You will need to burn ALOT of diesel to make up the difference in price

Thanks

Jim@BAWS

6ballsisall
08-21-2007, 02:44 PM
I drove a 280 with the TWIN DIESELS in them last Feb at the boat show
in Miami AWESOME to say the least. No LAG NO SMOKE and quiet as can be. Never driven or seen anythng like them. With that said
They are expensive. You will need to burn ALOT of diesel to make up the difference in price

Thanks

Jim@BAWS

Dare I ask what the price tag was on that boat?? :rolleyes: :(

ProTour X9
08-21-2007, 02:45 PM

I CANT LOOK!!:( :eek:

MYMC
08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
You know what they say..."if you have to ask..."

Just think, if you run this thing for 60 years (@100 hr/per) you'll pay yourself back for the option:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
You know what they say..."if you have to ask..."

Just think, if you run this thing for 60 years (@100 hr/per) you'll pay yourself back for the option:rolleyes:

Another Consumate boat salesman I see. :D

How the heck are ya Mike!? :wavey:

east tx skier
08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Reminds me of my signature ...

... For everything else, there's MasterCraft

MYMC
08-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Another Consumate boat salesman I see. :D

How the heck are ya Mike!? :wavey:
Doing well...it is hot.

thijs
08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Here's the long thread about the VW diesel engine. It'd be cool to have if it didn't cost such a ridiculous amount.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ghlight=diesel

Thanks, Quite the hot, or rather heated topic. I believe I fit in with the majority regarding the cost. First kid on the block, yeah thad'd be cool. But with my budget I think even fuel injection might be a bit of a reach once I get into my own MC, let alone diesel!

BTW: Nothing beats the sound of a V8.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2007, 11:02 PM
A VW powered MC.........Say it isn't so......:mad: :( :mad:

That's it, I am turning my savings into the "college" fund for the kids instead:( ...No new boat for me.....

OhioX14
08-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Just out of curiosity where is the market for this option? I'm not referring to the individual who can afford the upgrade, I'm talking about the individual who has access to diesel on the water as I'v never seen it in the OH, KY, TN lakes we've spent time on. Is there diesel available on the water in coastal states or elsewhere?

88 PS190
08-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Just out of curiosity where is the market for this option? I'm not referring to the individual who can afford the upgrade, I'm talking about the individual who has access to diesel on the water as I'v never seen it in the OH, KY, TN lakes we've spent time on. Is there diesel available on the water in coastal states or elsewhere?

Well the main market for those engines is really europe, if you go to the VW marine website http://www.vw-m.de/index.php?L=1 you'll note that it is heavily oriented towards the european market where the alternative fuels are such as LP gas boats.

A diesel option is attractive.

Now I have not fueled a boat at a pump on a lake in years, all my fuel is brought in using cans anyway.

But near lake MI you can find diesel at big marinas, Large boats with diesel engines while they cost more maintain resale value much better because everyone wants the diesel engine.

That does not apply to ski boats yet, but who knows?

A ski school running these boats (beyond the fact that they are expensive and possibly harder to sell) would use less fuel, and they have holding tanks normally anyway.

Lennyp04
08-22-2007, 02:19 PM
At 25,000 dollars for the upgrade thats quite expensive. It may be worth it over time but at first buying the boat it would sure be a shock!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't suppose someone that drops $25,000 on a VW powered anything is going to give 2 s**ts about fuel costs, but the only good I see of it is the potential to run it on grease. With that said, it MIGHT make it worth the purchase, if you can make your own fuel from someone elses waste.

But I'd probably still rather run a gas job on "Natural" gas.