PDA

View Full Version : Installing tower speakers...questions

CottagerGreg
08-21-2007, 01:03 AM
So I have myself a 06 X-1 and it didn't have tower speakers.

I have just bought a pair of fusion speakers, amp, etc.

I am looking to installing them on the weekend.

How do I wire these up?

Do I run the speaker cable up through the tower where the existing navigation light wires are run?

Furthermore are there any tips to pulling the wire through other then doing section my section with the tower folded?

I am assuming the top section of the tower will be the hardest due to the curve of the piping.

Thanks in advance

Greg

dapicatti
08-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Really good information on this posted a few months ago on wakeworld. I believe someone even posted electrical diagrams. You may want to check the archives there.

Farmer Ted
08-21-2007, 01:15 AM
I watched Wayne Hartford at New Dimension Towers wire my tower.

If the hole is already drilled at the mounting point, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Use gravity, a very long piece of string, and a strong vaccum.

Once you get the string through you'll be able to snake the wires back through the tower. Remember to send a string with the wires so you'll have a second string to pull a second set of wires through as it won't be as easy to vaccum the string with wires in the tube

CottagerGreg
08-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Can anyone find the wakeworld post... I have no luck in finding it..

I have an idea... just looking for more pointers, etc..

1boarder
08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I have an 06 x1 that I put fusion speakers on. There is a hole on the front leg of the tower on the pasenger side. The hole just happens to be right beside the radio. You will have to drill two holes and find a 4 pin plug to go around where the top half of the tower meets the bottom half. Just look at how the anchor light plug is layed out on the other side and copy it. I used a waterproof four pin plug that looks similar to the anchor plug. You then need to decide if you want to put the speakers on the back bar or the front bar and drill holes for the wire to come out. I had to put mine on the front bar so when my tower is folded, the speakers would hit the sunpad and raise my folded tower height (tight fit in garage).I mounted my amp on the inside wall under the glove box as I believe it is the dryest spot in the boat. I used a piece of plywood covered in matching carpet to drill into being that you don't want screws in the walkway. I mounted the piece of plywood into the floor with L brackets and used a nice stainless steel screw and fancy washer at the top where the seat folds up. You can't see the screw unless you raise the seat and if you do, you don't even notice that it shouldn't be there. I also used stainless steel nuts (that nailed into the plywood) behing the plywood that allows me to take my amp off the plywood without removing the plywood. The battery is also conveniently located there as well.

As far as stringing the wires through, I used a combination of string, vacuum, stiff wire (leftover from my dog's underground fence), stiff wire with a 3 foot string attatched to it and time. Then pull the speaker wire through using the string. It isn't difficult, but it is tedious to do.

Let me know if you have any questions.

CottagerGreg
08-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks alot for your reply!

Nice to know the passenger side is predrilled.

Thinking about mount on the front bar as then the speakers will also be slightly protected..