PDA

View Full Version : need some Opinions (sorry long post)

c_pohja
08-21-2007, 12:10 AM
I just got back from looking at a 83 S&S 351W with the powerslot. Boat was originally delivered in Hawaii, but has spent the last 10 years plus in Colorado. Motor has been completely rebuilt; block boiled, new heads, bearings, rings, the whole deal ($4500, I saw the receipt). Everything has been VERY well document and all work done by reputable shops. Also trans has been completely gone through. Also has a new drive shaft, sealed bearing, and a newer larger rudder. All of this was about 300 hrs ago

My question is should I be worried about the salt water, it is a closed cooling system? Normally that is a big issue, but it seems the boat has been totally redone to correct any damage from salt water. It hasn't seen salt water in 10 plus years. Also the motor has NO rust on it at all and looks to be in better shape then any of the other S&S's I have looked at.

Current owner is a hard-core footer who has been using the boat, but not abusing it.

The salt water is the only second thought I have about the boat.

Sorry for the long post!! What do you all think??

erkoehler
08-21-2007, 12:14 AM
How much is he asking?

Willski
08-21-2007, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't worry about salt now. Just current condition and asking price as erkoehler is asking. I believe he is a dealer, so he should know.

c_pohja
08-21-2007, 12:21 AM
can get it for 7000

tph
08-21-2007, 12:22 AM
I think someone brought this up in another thread on this subject but...early '83's had wood stringers. Are the ones in this boat glass or wood?

milkmania
08-21-2007, 12:22 AM
can get it for 7000

trailer included?
what is it's condition?

c_pohja
08-21-2007, 12:26 AM
yes, trailer in good condition, condition is good, very comparable, if not better then some of the others i have looked at. Also has bimini. Carpet is good, intieror has been redone, in decent shape for a boat of its age. I drove and skied behind it everything seemed good, i also pulled him footing behind it everthing feel tight for an older boat. does not have wood stringers

erkoehler
08-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Check out the structural aspects of the hull. Depending on what you find, make an offer. 7k is on the high end w/ a trailer and in good condition.

c_pohja
08-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Any special way of checking the Hull? From what i can see it looks good, no stress cracks or spiders. Anything special to look at?