PDA

View Full Version : trailer tires

craft86
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
hey i have had my boat for about 4 years and this year i have to trailer it up to the lake because i couldn't afford a slip. I redid the trailer last year and the owner before me had replaced the tires and never thought anything of it well i had a blow out and the tires looked good before the trip. I religiously check pressures and grease the bearings. i am wondering what tire sizes and load range tire people are putting on there trailers. i have an 86 master craft the tires that are on there now are 205/75R14 load range C are these right thanks in advance

Farmer Ted
08-20-2007, 09:36 PM
sorry to hear about your blow out, hopefully it wasn't out in the middle of BFE and you were able to get it taken care of.

I've had my boat for three years and my last big trip of 200 miles round trip, I blew on going up and one coming back.

I think, but have not confirmed that the alignment on my trailer is out of whack.

The first blowout was on a Marathon that was about 2 years old, the second was on my spare that was probably original equipment when the boat was new in 98.

The tire size sounds close off the top of my head, have you checked the manual?

If you don't have it you can download it from here http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Manual
and verify the correct size.

Also, Goodyear put out a service bulletin recomending a higher pressure 60 psi if you tow above 65 MPH

might just chalk it up to your tires time to go......

craft86
08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
thanks the blow out was only about 2 miles from my house but the jack couldn't handle the weight the trailer. trailer was to close to the ground so i couldn't fit the jack under and it was 11:30 at night after a long day skiing i was exhausted and to top it off a cop pulls up and asks if i could pull off onto the dirt i said that first i wasn't going to be able make the turn and second than i would be working on uneven ground trying to jack the trailer. so i preceded to tell him that it sounded like a great idea (i was being sarcastic at that point to him or else i was going flip on him) so needless to say i am doing fiberglass work on the trailer fender and rewiring the trailer lights cause they got blown off the fender .

ski_king
08-20-2007, 11:04 PM
......... i have an 86 master craft the tires that are on there now are 205/75R14 load range C are these right thanks in advance
Orginal for your year was F78 14
The 205/75R14 are the modern radial version.

JohnE
08-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Here is the link that Farmer referred to: http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf