PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump ??

surfacetension
08-20-2007, 11:21 AM
My Son was invited to spend the week on Saranac Lake boarding on a NEW x star, The peolple that invited him know a dealer who sent along the X Star. They launched the boat and the fuel pump took a dump?? The pump was back ordered, So they lost the week , And these people were the dealers???? Is there an issue with the fuel pumps??

KnoxX2
08-20-2007, 11:23 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

east tx skier
08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Let's just say that's not the first fuel pump failure I've read about on here. Was the boat ever run dry (out of gas)?

surfacetension
08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't know if it was ever run dry , but if a dealer can't get a pump it make me a bit concerned about little old me getting one, Guess I'll have to watch the fuel gauge ?? Or buy a pump now for a backup

endl
08-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Are they sure it was the fuel pump? I thought my fuel pump went bad and it was a cam positioning sensor.

I spent the weekend talking to our MC service tech at a customer function. Sharp guy very informed....... we talked about alot of issues and you gotta remember alot of these are not MC ideas they are GM/INDMAR technology issues.

bigmac
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
These things fail often enough, and are backordered frequently enough, that having a spare sitting around isn't a bad idea.

When mine went, my dealer took the replacement out of a boat he had sitting on the showroom floor - otherwise he'd have had to tell me it would be two weeks before he could get me back on the water.

bigmac
08-20-2007, 11:46 AM
[snip].....you gotta remember alot of these are not MC ideas they are GM/INDMAR technology issues.

Not the fuel pump, though...that's MasterCraft's proprietary design.

endl
08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
I thought most GM cars now have the fuel pumps inside the tanks?

bigmac
08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I thought most GM cars now have the fuel pumps inside the tanks?
Yes they do. That has nothing to do with MasterCraft or any other boat fuel pump design, however.

wade95
08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
If it's fuel injected its most likely gonna be in da tank.

feydakin
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I had mine go bad too. Luckily it was still under warranty. My gas gauge was off and I let it run dry. Never started again even after filling with gas. My question is - if these are the same as GM fuel pumps in tank, why doesn't my car do that? I've run several cars out of gas (my younger dumber days ...) and been able to start them right up.

tones03
08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Ive replaced mine, it was out of warranty but the dealer covered it. Easy enough to fix, spare would be a good idea IMO.

bigmac
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I had mine go bad too. Luckily it was still under warranty. My gas gauge was off and I let it run dry. Never started again even after filling with gas. My question is - if these are the same as GM fuel pumps in tank, why doesn't my car do that? I've run several cars out of gas (my younger dumber days ...) and been able to start them right up.
They aren't the same as automobile in-tank design...that's the problem. For one thing, boats require a vented tank, whereas vehicles have to have a pressurized fuel tank. That's the Coast Guard making rules for boats and the EPA making rules for cars. Fuel systems on boats are tricky and dangerous. The Coast Guard is known to be very picky about certifying fuel systems on boats.

If they were using an automobile in-tank design, they'd probably be more reliable...although GM's in-tank fuel pumps have been known to be problematic.

On MasterCrafts, the fuel filter is located on the pump intake. That means if it gets plugged, it decreases fuel intake into the pump, which is what cools it, and the impeller can fry. On automobiles, the actual fuel filter is downstream from the pump, so if the fuel filter plugs, the fuel pump can still pump on internal bypass mode and cool the pump. I don't know why MasterCraft doesn't do something similar, but I suspect that the USCG has something to do with it.

bigmac
08-20-2007, 01:47 PM
If it's fuel injected its most likely gonna be in da tank.

AFAIK, MasterCraft is the only boat manufacturer that uses an in-tank fuel pump on its fuel injected engines.