PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Suspension

JKTX21
08-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Calling all Exp. owners or Ford techs!

I knew the day would come when the airbag suspension on my Ford would leave me stranded (today). Pulled the boat out of the water and noticed the a$$ end all the way down. Trying to figure out what the deal might be.

1) Compressor will trip and try to fill up, but doesn't fill up the bags.
2) Doesn't sound like there is a load on the compressor like normal.
3) CK suspension light is not illuminated on the dash.
4) I'm assuming there is a leak in the line and the tounge weight of the trailer set it off today.

Also, is there just one line to the bags in the rear or two? I could barely get under the vehicle in the dark to scope it out.

uawaterskier
08-20-2007, 01:58 AM
my *guess* is only 1 one line run back to a tee. I know on our big freightliner (ford) truck at work it ran 1 line then teed into 2.

tommcat
08-20-2007, 07:34 AM
is it 4 wheel air or just rear load leveling?

T Scott
08-20-2007, 07:42 AM
There is a yellow switch under the glove compartment that turns the system on/off. Double check that the switch wasn't turned off accidently.

JKTX21
08-20-2007, 07:59 PM
It is load leveling air suspension. It's the only component in the rear (no springs). The switch was the first thing I checked. They sometimes forget to turn it on at the tire shop.

But I just had it towed into a shop I've done business with before. Let them deal with it now.

tommcat
08-21-2007, 07:45 AM
If you have any problems or questions in regards to what they tell you is wrong with it feel free to PM me

tom

JKTX21
08-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Resolution in case anyone Googles the same problem:

After some research and some helpful (and unhelpful) people with the Ford Motor Co., it's about $370 bucks to buy a compressor for these trucks OR you can install springs in the seats for the airbags.

The springs with brackets cost me about $160, and I don't have to worry about load leveling suspension any longer.

Leroy
08-25-2007, 11:48 PM
But with just springs you may end up looking like you are ready to pop a wheelie right?

JKTX21
08-26-2007, 02:08 PM
But with just springs you may end up looking like you are ready to pop a wheelie right?

Nope, the only thing I tow with this vehicle is the boat and there was no noticable difference in ride height in the rear with the new springs.

I do notice a slight difference in ride quality, but I think it's related to the rear of my truck sitting all the way down on the rear shocks all last week. :(

tommcat
08-27-2007, 07:42 AM
get some good shocks for that thing, for a non air suspension. we use a lot of the ProComp 9000s and have great results

JKTX21
08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
get some good shocks for that thing, for a non air suspension. we use a lot of the ProComp 9000s and have great results

Thanks Tom. I was thinking of something a little more soft. This vehicle is my daily driver and I tow the boat about 5 miles per week.

Are the ProComps more for towing, streets, terrain?

tommcat
08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
they are a good all around shock. great on the road but when you get into the rough roads they handle it beautifully. they're on my daily driver

jraben8
08-28-2007, 08:03 AM
I have Bilsteins on mine. They made a night/day difference and mine is a daily driver as well.