PDA

View Full Version : Battery/Alternator problem. CLICK

manny34711
08-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Well MY 2000 X-star was sitting for about a month or so in my outdoor storage. During that time period It rained hard about 3 times. I have a boat cover but during those heavy storms, it cant handle it well. The boat was perfect before I let it sit. A month later I take it out and when I went to start it i got a click so I jumped it from my truck and did a 2 hour riding session with my buddy. After 2 hours of running the boat I tried turning it off to see if it had charged. It would click again. I checked the connections and everything was nice and tight. Took the battery to Autozone and it tested Good. That leaves me to the Alternator. I'm thinking its the ALT. What about you guys?

bigmac
08-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I'd head back on down to Autozone, but next time I'd take the alternator and starter and get them tested.

JimN
08-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Look at the charging lead, where it attaches to the alternator. In 2000, they had a service bulletin about the terminal breaking, due to too much tension, brittleness and vibration. If the terminal failed, charge the battery on a charger, not by jump starting the motor. That's incredibly hard on the alternator. It's there to maintain a charge, not give it a full charge from zero volts.

Get a package of Heat-N-Seal ring terminals from NAPA, Auto Zone, or wherever, crimp it on, adjust the harness so you have a little slack on the charging lead and reattach it. Connect the fully charged battery to the cables, making sure they're clean and tight, not just one or the other.

All of this notwithstanding, trying to crank your starter with low battery charge state may have damaged the starter/solenoid. If it still won't crank, you'll have to check the starter out.

manny34711
08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks JimN I'll give that a shot sometime this week. I'll post back and let you know what happens. I wont be out riding for a while anyway, waiting for the water to cool down a bit.