PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Wake for Slalom

oldriver
08-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok guys,there has been much debate over the best ski wake..I.E. older 190 verses new EVO..
Can any skiiers who have tried them both please give me there 2 cents.Im trying to buy a boat and never skiied the EVO dont want to spent the cash and find out there is a better ski wake somewhere else !!!!!
Thanks in advance to all

east tx skier
08-19-2007, 11:32 AM
What speed and line length are you skiing?

André
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
:) Ok guys,there has been much debate over the best ski wake..I.E. older 190 verses new EVO..
Can any skiiers who have tried them both please give me there 2 cents.Im trying to buy a boat and never skiied the EVO dont want to spent the cash and find out there is a better ski wake somewhere else !!!!!
Thanks in advance to all
Funny,i've skied my partner's 06 197 this morning after skiing behind my "Best slalom wake ever" 94 190 for the last 3 sets.
Made 4 a 28 this morning after running 1 and 1.5 at 35 and 5.5 (skied over the 6 ball!) at 32 off for the 3 previous sets.
The conditions weren't perfect this morning but the wake of the 06 is definitely bigger and harder than mine.Maybe if i would ski the 06 more often i would get use to it but no way is it as nice as older Prostar in my mind...
But the 06 tracks in the course like a train...and skiing 35 off recently for the first times,i can see how spray could be a factor for shorther line lenghts with my 94...FWIW!

east tx skier
08-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I think it is after 35 off that spray will definitely start to be something you encounter, Andre. I pulled one of our club members into 32 off behind my 93 205 earlier this year and asked him what he thought. He said no spray at 32 and that the wake was fine by him. Another guy skiing 15 off at 30 mph said the wake was great for him, too.

For comparison's sake, the 32 off skier owns a 98 Sport Star (95--97 Pro Star hull) and the 15 off skier owns an 04 Response LXI.

At one end, we have a short setup. I had no trouble getting up to speed on time with a 225 lb skier in tow.

André
08-19-2007, 11:54 AM
After 35 off? I'm still good for another 4 years!;)

Just find the pull of my 94 to be softer,less brutal then the 06 with MCX.All my times were good last week when i skied into 35 off so the boat isn't any slower...just softer pulls i guess.
And if i ever ski shorther ropes to the point that the spray bothers me then...You know the rest!;)

east tx skier
08-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Some of the softness in the pull may be the prop. I've only skied behind the 197 once. Slower speed. Longer lines. There was a stiff bump at that slower speed, but not much of one. Ultimately, I skied well behind it. But I always have to tend to get warmed up.

Bottom line is that wakes behind different boats are different. Sometimes, it just takes getting used to different. But there is also the philosophy espoused by the wise BriEOD of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TNH2oSkier
08-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I think the newer boats tend to have firmer pulls, I think a lot of people confuse this with wake hardness and size. I skied behind one of last years tournement boats (I think it was nationals, MC uses our slalom course to set up their boats.) and the pull was the strongests I have ever felt. I had to slow the boat down 2mph to make my normal pass. All things said, if the ski is on edge, and you are in decent position just about any of the fuel injected modern tow boats have a decent wake. The 95-97 190's seem to be real bargains now, and they have a pretty dependable fuel injection system, the newer the model, the more room you have, and the more money you get to spend.

03 35th Anniversary
08-19-2007, 12:29 PM
As far as the new EVO hulls the wake will depend on the hook on the end of the hull. 197, Tournament Teams/Anniversary, and X-7s are all different. Like East tx skier said the prop could be part of it as well. But both boats have a great wake.
My advice ski both boats and see which one you like the most. Everybody is different.

east tx skier
08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
From 02 TT boats and production boats 2003 and newer, the hook is part of the mold so there shouldn't be any hook variation. While I've heard rumors of tweaks to the EVO hull in the past couple of seasons, I've not heard of any changes that were "on the record" since 03 other than the addition of the new rudder for 06.

Driving and skiing anything you plan to buy is key. Everyone is certainly different. My father in law thinks the later model 205 skis pretty much the same as mine. My wife and I always notice a difference.

ProTour X9
08-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Did the ProTour have a mod for short line lengths?? (Sorry to bring this up again:( )

kpickett
08-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I have a 94 190 with the LT1. One of the guys at the club has a brand new 197, and another buddy has an 03 197. My ski partner has an 01 195, and I ski behind all of the boats regularly. (I also ski behind a Bu, a Nautique, and a Sanger pretty regularly, too, but that's a different subject.)

I agree with Andre that the 07 tracks and drives incredibly well. It's a really easy boat to drive, and it's really comfortable in the cockpit and when you're riding in the boat. The wake is great, too. That said, I don't think the wake is any better than my 94. In fact, I'd give the edge to the 94. (I'm skiing into 28 off at 34 - I skied 36 until this year.) My wife, who is working on the course at 26 and 28, definitely prefers the 94 wake. It's much smaller and softer at the slower speeds. Spray is more of an issue with the 94, but not really unless there is a head wind, even at the short lines. The 197 is a much bigger, much roomier, and much more comfortable boat than mine.

As far as the hardness of the pulls - my little boat with the LT-1 has a really hard pull. That engine has a lot of power for a little boat. I've started running KX- with perfet pass, and that makes it feel a lot more like the other club boats.

I found the 03 197 to have a really hard wake at 34 and the 01 195 (same as 95-97 hulls) has a much bigger wake than my 94.

The truth is, you get used to whatever you ski. Honestly, I really never think about the wake while I'm in the course, whatever the boat. The exception is a friend's 83 Ski Supreme, which has an enormous wake - then it's a factor.

east tx skier
08-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Did the ProTour have a mod for short line lengths?? (Sorry to bring this up again:( )

The pro tour? You mean the 94 Pro Tour 190? If so, then yes, the 94 PT 190 had a spray mod, described to me as if someone took a rat tail file to the back of the top portion of spray relief pocket (kind of a spray relief hook) about 1.5" forward of where it meets the transom. It supposedly knocked down the spray for 38 off skiers.

oldriver
08-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I ski open water 36 mph,39.5 off.I will ski the boat before I buy it but am hoping for a very soft,sweet ride over.the wakes.My girlfriend is skiing 32mph at 28 off and would like her to have a soft ride also.BTW what differnce would the power slot make.The boat i am looking at has the 03 powerslot that is 1.5 to 1 I believe.would I notice any differnce than one without the slot???how about economy any differnce???
Thanks

Chicago190
08-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Powerslot will help with the holeshot. Will you notice a difference? Most people that have them and then go to a 1:1 will notice and want the powerslot back. Do you need it? Probably not absolutely necessary since you say you're an open water skiier so you probably don't have a short lake that would require you to get up to speed in a short time. That said if I had to choose between two similar boats and the only difference was cost and powerslot I would choose the slot.

east tx skier
08-19-2007, 04:00 PM
If you're open water, bring the line in a little. 39.5 off isn't short enough. ;)

6ballsisall
08-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Free skiing at 39.5 off? Hmmm...... at that lenght there isnt a wake, its the trough you should be thinking about......

east tx skier
08-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Sometimes, I just drive along with my left hand on the pylon. That's got to be some sort of record. ;)

JohnE
08-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Sometimes, I just drive along with my left hand on the pylon. That's got to be some sort of record. ;)

I think that's 75' 6"" off. But it only counts if you are driving through the course.;)

east tx skier
08-20-2007, 10:30 AM
I guess I should sign and backdate the armrest then. 8p

ski36short
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Perhaps this isn't exactly what the original poster is shopping for but I gotta give props to my buddy's 88 PS190 I skied this weekend. I love the pull and wakes behind that thing! The spray, not so much so if you're free-skiing at 39.5 off I can see how that would be a problem.

sand2snow22
08-20-2007, 02:40 PM

My spray goes into the boat, but I think you got me Eastie :rolleyes: