PDA

View Full Version : 01 x10 will not start

robblackburn
08-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Need some advice please. I am at the lake and having a strange issus with my 2001 x10. Left me stranded and had to be towed today because the boat was completly dead and could not get anything electrical to work. No problem .. put in a new battery but now only hear clicking noise and the boat will not start. All other electrical works fine. Put on a portable jump box with the new battery and now starts ok. It is a slow start - need to leave on for about two seconds before turns over. I was desperate to go on the lake for the rest of the afternoon and this worked fine for the four or five starts that I made. Any ideas on what is going on. I can only get to start with the jump box and the new battery working together. Thanks in advance for the advise.

ROb

Jim@BAWS
08-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Starter.

Jim@BAWS

Leroy
08-18-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm with Jim, if you want to take a chance and check the main cable and connectors to the starter and the ground wires. Of course the connectors check to see they are tight. For the cable, after it turns over and starts turn it off and run your hand along the wire to see if you feel any hot spots.

Starter much more likely.

rektek
08-19-2007, 12:38 AM
lots of good info on starting and charging systems if you use the search function. you or someone else needs to evaluate the starting and charging system on your boat with some test equipment such as a amp clamp and DVOM. finding out how many amps your starter pulling while cranking would be a good start as Jim stated.

also, new batteries tend to sit on shelves sometimes without maintenance,
so you might have put a bad new battery in.

someone with basic automotive starting and charging experience could diagnose your fault in a rather short period of time. or you could just start replacing parts and eventually you'll get it.

:) good luck