PDA

View Full Version : 1988 ps190 electric diagrams

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 09:02 PM
i bought a used 88 ps 190 mastercraft after returning from iraq and when i first test drove it it was working sweet and then i brought it home and used it 4 times and then she wouldnt run at all . hear what happen is the previous owner who traded it in broke a few teeth on the cam shaft and all they did is just threw in a new distribuator so i was chipping even more teeth until the engine just stopped working so i had to rip the while engine apart and replace alot of parts cam,distribuator,oilpump,fuelpump,balancer. its been a spendy project and to only use the boat for 4 times this whole summer so now im having electrical problems so im looking for a electric diagram of all of the electric in this 1988 ps 190 can anyone help?

east tx skier
08-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I've got a diagram and TRBenj has one, too. I don't have it on this computer, but I know it'll turn up in a search. Let me see if I can find the two diagrams.

JimN
08-18-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't have any diagrams but if you can indicate the problems, we can get it going for you.

What color is the boat- did it come from the Milwaukee area?

east tx skier
08-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Okay, found them. Here's TRBenj's. Much prettier than the one I had.

east tx skier
08-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Here's the one I got from Indmar.

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 09:18 PM
its tan and white with a spoiler in the middle and i bought it from a marina that doesnt deal with mastercraft boats they just wanted to get rid of it

JimN
08-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Since the distributor gear on the cam went away, it's safe to assume that it sat for quite some time and that being the case, it has some intermittent issues, right? I would be looking at every wire terminal, the solenoid, ground points, the ground buss under the dash, ignition switch and safety switch. If there's any indication that water was above the floor, I would also make sure the plug that couples the boat harness to the motor is OK and would bend the wires near their terminals to see if it's brittle from corrosion.

rektek
08-18-2007, 09:28 PM
i bought a used 88 ps 190 mastercraft after returning from iraq and when i first test drove it it was working sweet and then i brought it home and used it 4 times and then she wouldnt run at all . hear what happen is the previous owner who traded it in broke a few teeth on the cam shaft and all they did is just threw in a new distribuator so i was chipping even more teeth until the engine just stopped working so i had to rip the while engine apart and replace alot of parts cam,distribuator,oilpump,fuelpump,balancer. its been a spendy project and to only use the boat for 4 times this whole summer so now im having electrical problems so im looking for a electric diagram of all of the electric in this 1988 ps 190 can anyone help?

is the boat cranking and not starting ? or no cranking ? this is where the diag tree starts

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 09:34 PM
well i was told it sat from oct 2006 when the previous owner traded it in for a cigar boat till the day i bought it in may 2007 thats all i really know on about the boat sitting . i know i would like to change the circut breaker behind the engine its older and want to update that and i got so pist last night when trying to figure out all these wires that i just want to replace them all this winter but i dont know if thats a smart move or not i know ill be changing the alternator and starter this winter and the electronic igntion box undernieth the seat to a high preformace one. now another question i have is with all the engine parts are they all just high preformace parts no matter if they go in a vechile or boat? and i have no idea what year engine the boat has in it cause the previous owner really rigged up that engine i took it in for the mastercraft dealership could take a quick look at it and they said the same thing that the previous owner did one hell of a job rigging this engine now i have to try and get it back to normal as possible

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 09:36 PM
well the boat was running for a day until it just stopped in the middle of the lake and had to get towed back to the launch and it wont crank or start at all i replaced the selinoid and all i get is major spark when i put the positive battery cable back on so something isnt right

6ballsisall
08-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Did that boat come out of Pennsylvania?

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Did that boat come out of Pennsylvania?

yes out of pittsburgh

6ballsisall
08-18-2007, 09:51 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that boats been on that lot longer than Oct. 2006. I looked at it at that dealership in the spring of 2005 and they were desperate to sell it then as they said they'd had it quite a while.

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 10:00 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that boats been on that lot longer than Oct. 2006. I looked at it at that dealership in the spring of 2005 and they were desperate to sell it then as they said they'd had it quite a while.

yea i didnt know i was in iraq for a year and figured they were being honest with me but i guess i am the fool but i didnt have much money to spend and wanted a mastercraft really bad but i guess i learned my misstake on buying used

6ballsisall
08-18-2007, 10:03 PM
yea i didnt know i was in iraq for a year and figured they were being honest with me but i guess i am the fool but i didnt have much money to spend and wanted a mastercraft really bad but i guess i learned my misstake on buying used

I wouldnt say buying used is a mistake by any means. It's just unfortunate of their dishonesty. Live and learn though, I bet once you get all those gremlins out of it, it will be a great boat!

BTW, thanks for serving our country, protecting my family and our way of life!

east tx skier
08-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Second everything Jrandol said. Used MCs are generally good MCs. A lot of owners take a great deal of price in their boats. I got lucky the first time around as I didn't know what to look for. In the end, with a little work, it'll probably run like a top and be a great boat for you.

I can't even begin to thank you and people like you who have the hardest job in the world.

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Second everything Jrandol said. Used MCs are generally good MCs. A lot of owners take a great deal of price in their boats. I got lucky the first time around as I didn't know what to look for. In the end, with a little work, it'll probably run like a top and be a great boat for you.

I can't even begin to thank you and people like you who have the hardest job in the world.
thanks your help and the others has helped me alot i will be working and checking things out with the wiring tommrow hope things work out for me if not it will be put away for the winter .

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I wouldnt say buying used is a mistake by any means. It's just unfortunate of their dishonesty. Live and learn though, I bet once you get all those gremlins out of it, it will be a great boat!

BTW, thanks for serving our country, protecting my family and our way of life!

hey thanks for all ur help , and your welcome i am willing to protect my family and and yours and even die for them for our freedom

ProTour X9
08-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Post a pic of the boat please :D

drbesvold1
08-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Post a pic of the boat please :D
im new to this site as of tonight and have no idea how to post the pic

JimN
08-18-2007, 11:06 PM
If you're getting sparks, disconnect the starter- the solenoid may be wired with the battery cable on the post that feeds the starter, instead of the input of the solenoid. It happens. If that doesn't change the arcing, disconnect the alternator's charging lead. If the bridge rectifier is bad, it will cause a constant current draw and will arc when the battery cable goes on. That's a pretty easy repair but with the history of this boat (and the way it was mis-represented), rebuilding the starter and alternator is a better way to make sure things will be right when you're done. The rebuild shop should be able to do the rebuilds to Coast Guard spec.

It's tedious, but if you take good notes, it'll save a lot of time later. I would relocate the box under the seat- it's too easy to have water getting into it there. If it's the ignition module, it should go in the engine compartment. The motor may have been "re-worked" but it shouldn't be too tough to fix anything that's causing problems- it's a pretty normal system, a very good motor and whatever parts you'll need are readily available.

Getting back to the sale- you may have some legal recourse, depending on what was stated in the condition report. There's enough of a paper trail that the date it became the property of the dealer is documented, which pretty well shoots down their version of when it got there. If you call MasterCraft with the hull ID number, they can provide you with quite a bit of info on that boat. Look on the valve covers for a sticker- it should have tune-up specs and an IF-88xxxx number. The IF stands for I (Indmar) F(Ford) 88 (1988) and the rest will be the motor's number. If it's not on the valve cover, it may be on a sticker on the oil pan.

Welcome to Team Talk.

east tx skier
08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
im new to this site as of tonight and have no idea how to post the pic

Here's a link to the photo posting tutorial (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103156&postcount=10)

BriEOD
08-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Judging by the photo in your avatar I assume you are Air Force?

This site has a plethora of knowledge. However, I would also recommend you call Vince at Discont Inboard Marine (www.skidim.com). They have all the parts you need and he can troubleshoot things for you over the phone at no cost.

Most of the parts on your motor are standard automotive parts. However, parts like the starter and alternator are not. These parts are sealed to prevent sparking IAW US Coast Guard regulations. Make sure you check.

Also, if it were me I would be raising hell with this dealer. If they misreprsented that boat in anyway that is fraud and it is a crime. Second, I would do a thorough scrub of the Soldier and Sailor's Act to see if there is anything that protects you since you just returned from Iraq. Even if there is not, throwing out military and that act in a nasty letter to the dealer may be enough to scare them. Go see your JAG they might be able to help you out.

Good luck.

ProTour X9
08-19-2007, 11:33 AM
When you post click this button

Then go down and Click on "Manage Attachments"

If you post more than one image: Go to26171 and click " Insert All"

This post should be saved for all Newbie kind.:D