PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater aquariums....Naste?

123src
08-18-2007, 02:55 AM
How bout it Naste? Anyone else out there throwing money into Saltwater Tanks? What fish do you spend all your money on? Here are some of the money pit fish I had....

123src
08-18-2007, 02:56 AM
another.........

123src
08-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Another...........

123src
08-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Another..........

123src
08-18-2007, 02:59 AM
Another........

123src
08-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Another.......

123src
08-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Another again

123src
08-18-2007, 03:08 AM
buddies....

123src
08-18-2007, 03:11 AM
oops...forgot the pic

123src
08-18-2007, 03:16 AM
Bit of a group photo

123src
08-18-2007, 03:20 AM
another fishy...

123src
08-18-2007, 03:24 AM
This little guy lived with the 3 foot zebra eel. He was always scrapping with the bigger aggressive fish.

123src
08-18-2007, 03:25 AM
OK, I know you guys love pics, but that should be enough. Anyone else????

Harvey
08-18-2007, 01:11 PM
My dad has a tank with a bunch of fish (eel, puffer, lion fish, has a clowfish and a blue tang, a couple starfish and he had a puffer fish). The puffer was getting so big that when he blew up to stretch his skin he was bigger than a cantelope, almost volleyball size. They had to get rid of him or get a bigger tank so he was sold. It's interesting to watch the Lion fish when they throw live goldfish in the tank. He will stalk and hunt then just suck them right up.

Footin
08-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Looks like Nemo.

chudson
08-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Looks like Nemo.

Does look like Nemo!!! Cool lookin fish, great pictures!!!

bcampbe7
08-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Awesome fish!

I got a good laugh. Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigalow has been playing on FX lately. :D

BriEOD
08-18-2007, 07:12 PM
That's bucks!

Clown triggers, juvenile french angel, tangs, lion fish....money, money....

123src
08-18-2007, 07:30 PM
That's bucks!

Clown triggers, juvenile french angel, tangs, lion fish....money, money....

LOT'S and LOT'S, and it can all go out the window in a hurry if something goes wrong..... but it is SOOOO worth it when all is right. Great hobby if you can afford the money and more importantly.....TIME....

BrianM
08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Nice fish.

I used to be into freshwater fish. For a while I was into Discus. They were expensive and very particular about water temp quality etc. Got out of those guys and decided to go with the African Ciclads. They were not quite as much money but I went through a lot of them. They were so territorial and were always fighting and killing each other. I was finally down to three large Ciclads in a 55 gallon tank. They were so big and mean that I couldn't add anything else to the tank. So I got rid of them and sold the tank.

JKTX21
08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
We had a beautiful salwater fish tank for about 6 years. It was about 90 gallons. We finally sold it recently.

I would compare maintenance for it to a pool maybe (if there isn't a specific problem with water quality, etc.) Awesome to have, but I wish their was a reliable fish tank guy similar to a pool guy....

Some things to think about:
1) Replacing different kind of bulbs
2) Timing different kinds of bulbs to turn off/on at different times.
3) Where are you going to buy saltwater / distilled water.
4) Toting the water (when exchanging).
5) How different kinds of fish interact (aggressive / nonagressive).
6) Finding a reputable fish store in your hood that can and will come out to your house if needed.

BriEOD
08-18-2007, 08:41 PM
LOT'S and LOT'S, and it can all go out the window in a hurry if something goes wrong..... but it is SOOOO worth it when all is right. Great hobby if you can afford the money and more importantly.....TIME....
My father was big time into it when I was a kid. 800 gallon, ozone, etc, etc. Let me give you a tip. If you have a swimming pool and a salt tank DO NOT store the pool chlorine next to the tank salt.

ProTour X9
08-18-2007, 08:45 PM
With the price of saltwater fish, I'd HATE to have one die. Soo we have a 46 gallon tropical fishtank. :twocents:

atlfootr
08-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Owned a 75 gallon saltwater fish only tank, that's HAD.
Fish cost lots and the up keep was as much work, however it was nice to kick back after work w/ a cold one in the easy chair and reflect into it.

milkmania
08-19-2007, 01:27 AM
123src,

bet you didn't get those babies at Wal-Mart!!!

beautiful fish:)

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 02:16 PM
123src Nice fish I see you like the cheep fish too...:rolleyes: What size is your tank??

I have an 80 gal

Current fish..
Humu Humu
Clown trigger
Porcupine puffer
Flame angle
Blue Hippo Tang
Punctato butterfly
Mandarin Dragonet
Damsale

I lost two Emperor Angel's last year:mad: So I mixed it up with a falme it's a cool fish but no Emperor.

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Chek this site out...
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/

CoFooter
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
I've had saltwater tanks for 25 yrs. Just getting back into the swing of things after suffering a mass extinction a few years back. I had started cleaning my ornamental coral with a water/chloine solution to make it nice and white. I couldn't understand why my fish started swimming in circles and bumping into things after a few cleanings. DOHHHHHHH, after 20+ years of no issues, due to my stupidity, I lost hundreds of dollars worth of fish. 2 parrotfish, a lion, tesselata eel, etc, etc. Only things that survived were a few damsels. Does take a lot of time. Summers I'm strapped for time. This winter I'll get things back on track. By the way, great looking tank and fish. You're getting me excited about this again..........

CoFooter
08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Naste, have you bought fish from them? Any issues or concerns? Do you recommend them?

MarkP
08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Another.......
Nice shots!! Back up a little and lets see the whole set-up.. I had both, a reef and a fish, salt setup along with a 20 gal quarantine tank.
That emperor (especially the baby) and the purple tang are two of my all-time favorites!!

RexDog1
08-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi Mr. Nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have been thinking about getting a set up for the kids!! What size should we start with?
Remember you will be doing it….LOL:D
Did you have fun this weekend?:rolleyes: :wavey:

jbfootin
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
I have a 75 gal and 40 gal that are not set up right now. I stick to fresh water fish due to ease of care and lower $...

Right now we only have a 10 gal in my sons room with cardinal Tetras and guppies:) He likes it.

123src
08-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Nice shots!! Back up a little and lets see the whole set-up.. I had both, a reef and a fish, salt setup along with a 20 gal quarantine tank.
That emperor (especially the baby) and the purple tang are two of my all-time favorites!!

The key word in my initial post was "HAD"... I had a bad experience while on vacation. As those that have varied saltwater tanks know, feeding the different fish can be time consuming and detailed. It was a part of the process I enjoyed. My last "set-up" was a 100 gallon that required 3 different feeding processes. Sea-weed, meat (goldfish(not that great of a choice, but fun to watch) or squid, or large shrimp, and brine shrimp. I went on vacation for 3 weeks and gave thorough lesson as well as a written checklist to the person that was "house sitting" for us. We also have a dog and cat she was taking care of. She apparrently lost all memory of our training sessions and screwed the whole thing up. I think what happened was she underfed, then over fed to compensate, then did not feed, then did not recognize a sick Emporer (which died, then was eaten mostly by the Triggers) then left the dead fish in the tank for who knows how long. She told me she did not know one had died, but It was quite a large fish and it was pretty easy to see the carcass through the cloudy water when I returned home. Long story, but the point is that I had a 2 1/2 year old child at the time, I was changing jobs, and I just felt like I didn't have the time to put in to it any more. Coming home to the disaster just put me over the edge.

I have been considering starting up again, and noticed Naste's saltwater reference in his signature the other night right after I was looking at the pics. SO, I remembered how much you guys all love pics, I figured I would post some.

I did do a 75 gallon reef for a while, but found it to be way more time consuming and expensive than just fish. Very incredible possibilities, though.

Oh yeah.... Good for you for having a quarantine tank. Most people do not have this and they regret it deeply. I had one also, and am glad I did.

For people considering Saltwater tanks: IN MY EXPERIENCE, the larger the tank, the easier it is to manage. It sounds crazy, but I found it to be true. In small tanks, little changes in water quality can become huge changes very quickly. The one warning is that with a larger tank you run the risk of overloading, because the space looks so big. The more fish you have the bigger chance of compatability issues. Some fish are really picky about other fish. This can be tricky, because not all fish follow the "book answers" of compatability.

Be careful when starting saltwater. Find someone you can trust for advice. PETSMART, and chains of the like, IMO, are NOT appropriate resources when you are starting out. They do not usually have the best quality stock, and the people answering questions usually do not have the right answers. If at all possible, find a dealer that handles only saltwater fish. It may be hard, but worth the effort. These people have a passion for this hobby, and usually have the RIGHT answers.

I guess I could go on forever about this stuff...

Another thing that helped me was knowing that whatever I spent on a fish was "throw-away" money. It takes some time in the quarantine tank once you get a new fish home before you know or not if the fish is diseased or sick or GOOD! In the dealing for fish that I did, there were NO refunds. You order what fish you want and you get what you get. I had really good luck with this.

OK. I am done with this run-on post for now.

Ric
08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Those tanks are beautiful but to me, they are like the hobby of sailing... Too much trouble...

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Naste, have you bought fish from them? Any issues or concerns? Do you recommend them?

I never used them but you have to spend "X" amount before they will ship to you I think it around $100

They do have a guarantee on the fish unlike any fish store

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
We have been thinking about getting a set up for the kids!! What size should we start with?
Remember you will be doing it….LOL:D
Did you have fun this weekend?:rolleyes: :wavey:

Salt of fresh water??

RexDog1
08-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I am thinking fresh, but hay!!!!!!! What do I care, you are setting it up……….:D

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Emperor's are my favorite.
I lost two now and it hard watching a $100 fish die, twice.:mad:

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
I am thinking fresh, but hay!!!!!!! What do I care, you are setting it up……….:D

Having both I can say and nothing compares to saltwater.

I don't mind setting it up but will I have to maintain it for you???

RexDog1
08-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Having both I can say and nothing compares to saltwater.

I don't mind setting it up but will I have to maintain it for you???

Well YES!!!!! I don’t see you and the wife enough ………..well I don’t see the wife enough……8p

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:25 PM

[COLOR=black]Did you have fun this weekend?

We had a good time as always.
Everyone that works at the Golden Nugget is on first name bases with us..:D I'm still trying to figure out if that is a good or bad thing...:confused:

I tried my second attempt at a back roll and landed but I let go of the Handel ...:o I post a pic of it tonight.

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Well YES!!!!! I don’t see you and the wife enough ………..well I don’t see the wife enough……8p

HEY watch it..................http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sauer/angry-smiley-037.gif

8p

RexDog1
08-20-2007, 06:32 PM
lol!!!!!!! :D

Friday ??????? Dinner ? beer?

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm going to Vegas for a guys trip....:D

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:37 PM
What about tonight??

RexDog1
08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Wednesday??????? Good for me!!!!!!

Hay are we dating?:confused:

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes.................

Rapunzl
08-20-2007, 06:58 PM
I had a beautiful salt water tank with an Emperor, some Damsels, some clownfish, etc. It took a while to get the aquarium up to snuff, but once everything took off, it was really pretty.

One year, my damsels started getting aggressive (those dominos are the worst...little in size but big in aggression) and killing off some of my other damsels. At any rate, we had several fish in the tank when we went on vacation. Our neighbor agreed to watch our cat and the fish for us, as well as pick up mail, etc. Imagine my suprise when I came home and found NO fish in the tank! NONE!! There was no way for the cat to get into the tank, and she was an old girl anyways...never paid attention to the fish. So....what happened?? Even if one aggressive fish killed off the others...where was the one fish? We dug up the whole tank and found no inkling of a fish.

Yeah...strange. What's even stranger is that our neighbor was feeding them everyday and never realized that they were gone (or perhaps...he really did know what happened and didn't want to say..!). We never did figure out that mystery. Let's just say that my fish days are over.

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 07:09 PM
The hardest thing about saltwater tanks is one day everything can be just fine and the next day nuclear fallout.

I've had it happen twice one was my falt the salt lever was way 2 high and the other I still don't know how ammo spicked over night.

Once you get them dialed in they are easy to take care of IMO

It's been solid for over a year with only one death but he never ate from the first day I got Him. I tried every type of food.(Power brown tang)

ProTour X9
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
The hardest thing about saltwater tanks is one day everything can be just fine and the next day nuclear fallout.

I've had it happen twice one was my falt the salt lever was way 2 high and the other I still don't know how ammo spicked over night.

Once you get them dialed in they are easy to take care of IMO

It's been solid for over a year with only one death but he never ate from the first day I got Him. I tried every type of food.(Power brown tang)

I clicked on this thread thinking it was the Saltwater Series Thread!! What an idiot I am!! I thought you were talking about ballasts!!!:o :o

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Naste Craft
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
LOL

Did you not look at the title Saltwater aquariums....

It's Monday it's not your fault!

endl
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Man nice tanks and fish. I was in to that in the mid 90's and had some neat setups but after loosing too many fish, inverts. ect spedning way too much money we moved and I just put it into storage and never started it again. Great Hobby, expensive but very relaxing.

I think my favorite was the Clown/Anemone relationships neat how they work together. My favorite was the Maroon Clown.

Naste Craft
08-21-2007, 12:14 AM
My aquarium....

Naste Craft
08-21-2007, 12:15 AM

Naste Craft
08-21-2007, 12:16 AM

123src
08-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Naste,

Are those snails I see in the last pic, at the back of the tank???? My triggers would eat every snail I tried to put in:confused:

Naste Craft
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Just the shells, the snails got eaten.

I wish I could get some type of clean up crew the wont get eaten by my triggers and puffer.

123src
08-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, good luck with that! Let me know if you ever find something!

Jesus_Freak
07-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Bumping for advice....wife is considering a salt water setup.

1. Do I want a reef or not? Many of the fish appear not to be reef-friendly. What are the benefits of the full reef versus fish-only?

2. Have any of you bought on-line?

3. What is the minimum size you would consider? I have read and understood about "larger=better".

4. Do we ever have to disassemble to clean, or can the proper self-cleaning ecosystem be established?

5. If we make proper preparations, would we be able to leave the tank unattended for a week while on vacation?