PDA

View Full Version : How Hard To Remove Full Tower From A 197?

Lark
08-17-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm still trying to convince my wife that selling the boat is a bad idea, so the issue of us keeping the boat is still up in the air.

However, if we do keep it I'm toying with the idea of removing the tower. Any ideas on how hard it is to remove the tower considering there are light and speaker wires routed through the tower into the hull?

http://bartkim.smugmug.com/photos/92742045-L.jpg

Chicago190
08-17-2007, 01:47 PM
The biggest hassle to me would be having the holes professionally filled where the tower goes through the fiberglass. Might be more expensive than its worth.

Sodar
08-17-2007, 01:48 PM
However, if we do keep it I'm toying with the idea of removing the tower. Any ideas on how hard it is to remove the tower considering there are light and speaker wires routed through the tower into the hull?

Why? Tower adds function and versatility. When the youngin' gets a little older, he is going to want to wakeboard... the tower will get use!

Farmer Ted
08-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Lark,

It's not hard at all, you'll need a really big hex socket 3/4"? a socket and a breaker bar (the bigger the better)

you may have to dis-assemble some of your side paneling to get access to the nuts but the tower can be taken apart in peices so it's not going to come off as an assembly.

Nothing that a couple of dudes or even you and your wife couldn't handle.

Farmer Ted
08-17-2007, 01:57 PM
oh yeah,

how much do you want for it?

TMCNo1
08-17-2007, 01:59 PM
rod the mod took a towr off a 190 sumeting a few months bak and he did a brutiful job just axe him and he jus pluged up tha holes wit rubher plugs , sold da towr and now de bote an haz the bess bote ever accordian 2 hymm. wires is like a vazcetomy, snip snip!

O2BESOHUGE
08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Why Remove It? Thats What Makes Your Boat!!!

Monte
08-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I need a bimini... How much??

shepherd
08-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Removing the tower???

Why, that would make your boat look like.............................................. .................... a SKI BOAT!

:love:

Monte
08-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Removing the tower???

Why, that would make your boat look like..................... a SKI BOAT!

And I bet it would look like a DARN NICE one too!!!!

Now....... about that bimini:)

Sodar
08-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Removing the tower???

Why, that would make your boat look like.............................................. .................... a SKI BOAT!

:love:

That's right! Mine is not a skiboat... what was I thinking!?! :D

06197ttlq9-footer
08-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Lark, its none of my business, but i guess its up for discussion here. I have the same boat with the 385hp LQ9. and I absolutely love the boat. In my opinion you should Keep the boat and the tower, and get out on the lake more. Statistics show you probably wont have her long anyway. The wife that is. As a single 36 year old male i have found MY tt boat to be invaluable as a conversation starter with the ladies. Just my two cents. your lucky to have her. The boat that is. :) Peace, love and Sweetwater 4 all.

shepherd
08-17-2007, 03:35 PM
That's right! Mine is not a skiboat... what was I thinking!?! :D

Sodar, I think I've said this before, but your boat is beautiful. Take her top off, and she'd be drop dead gorgeous! ;)

Diesel
08-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Just take the tower off at the mounting feet. Leave the mounts on the boat and just remove the tower......they would hardly be noticeable and you could always put the tower back on later.

As for the wires. You have four speaker wires running through the port side and a minimum of two light wires running through the starboard side. I would just cut them all about a foot past the point where they come through the fiberglass. Then you can keep the wires in the tower and just reconnect them later if you choose to put it back on.

Lark
08-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Just take the tower off at the mounting feet. Leave the mounts on the boat and just remove the tower......they would hardly be noticeable and you could always put the tower back on later...

That's pretty much the direction I thought I'd go. I'd rather not cut the wires as I was hoping they would just disconnect.

I wouldn't plan on selling the tower either, in case we do decide to sell the boat or trade it for something different. This being our first boat I'm now second guessing myself if we should have gotten an X2. I think my wife might like the open feel more inside the boat and the deeper V hull would provide a smoother rider for just cruising around the lake. I've loooked at a bunch of other boats, and I find myself not wanting anything other than a Mastercraft.

Have any of you made the leap from a 197 to a X2? Any regrets?

JimN
08-18-2007, 10:55 AM
One of the dealers needs to respond now. I would look under the gunwales for a connector that can separate. That would not only make it easier for removal but also for manufacturing- the wiring would be there when the tower goes on. If there isn't a connector, make sure to leave/adjust the wires so there's some slack underneath and install a weatherproof Molex.

Diesel
08-19-2007, 01:32 PM
One of the dealers needs to respond now. I would look under the gunwales for a connector that can separate. That would not only make it easier for removal but also for manufacturing- the wiring would be there when the tower goes on. If there isn't a connector, make sure to leave/adjust the wires so there's some slack underneath and install a weatherproof Molex.

Nope no connectors in the factory stuff and you would not be able to pull them through the very small hole in the mounting feet/deck. Cut it now and worry about it later when/if you put it back on.

If you desire more freeboard and a better ride take a look at the 209/X9 boat as well.

TheOneandOnly
08-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I agreee cut it now lol... good luck... Better yet do not cut it, go to the dealership and trade up for the X2.

JKTX21
08-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Since you didn't ask my opinion about the tower, I won't give it... :)

But where are you going to mount the bimini if you take the tower off?

Sodar, your boat and rig are def. on point. Can you walk under the mini-tower without hitting your head? (Or a guy that is 6'?)