PDA

View Full Version : Water Snake

mpmartin
08-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Here is a story that my wife told me I have not investigated it yet but I will. And I will make any changes or corrections as needed. A young lady was “waterskiing” on lake Ray Hubbard in Texas on or about Aug. 1st. When she jumped in to the water, and as I understand it they were in the middle of the lake, and she was attacked by a “water moccasin” or cottonmouth Piscivorus leucostoma . She first thought it was a fish but it then began to bite her. She screamed for help and her friends on the boat killed the snake with an oar. She was taken to a local hospital where she was treated and then flown to a level one trauma center for further care. The girl is doing fine now but was very close to losing her hand. My question is how often does this type of thing happen? I have been boating a long time and have only seen two or three snakes in the water ever.

Leroy
08-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Water moccasin's while very rare can be very aggressive.

Snake bites are very rare unless you spend a lot of time in their space. I only know of two people that have been bitten.

east tx skier
08-16-2007, 10:32 PM
We see them occasionally at our local ski spot, and I'm not particularly fond of them. They ordinarily don't want anything to do with boats though. They can be very aggressive though.

TX.X-30 fan
08-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Water moccasin's while very rare can be very aggressive.

Snake bites are very rare unless you spend a lot of time in their space. I only know of two people that have been bitten.

I love it Leroy, I have 2 and I did say 2 neighbors now wearing plastic slippers. Great avatar Sir Mod your holiness sir. :D

endl
08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Water Moccasin's are aggressive........ not to be confused with "Water Snakes" which are not aggressive and not venomous.

JKTX21
08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
I run into them every now and then. Most of the time they try to get away, but I have seen one be aggessive. I don't spend a lot of time on lakes, but I can't imagine why a snake would be out in the middle.

6ballsisall
08-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Occasionally on a bass fishing show on TV you see them try and get in boats. I hear alot of bass fisherman down south carry sawed off 410's to "deal" with these snakes.

I say kill em all, I HATE snakes! :(

suedv
08-16-2007, 11:16 PM
A lot of people think all water snakes are venomous and kill them unnecessarily. Around here people confuse northern water snakes with water moccasin. Northern water snakes will bite if they feel threatened, but otherwise they leave you alone. Their bite isn't venomous. I'm actually in the process of writing a US Fish and Wildlife Endangered Species grant to protect the habitat of the copperbelly water snake here in Michigan. They aren't venomous either.

bcampbe7
08-16-2007, 11:16 PM
I say kill em all, I HATE snakes! :(

x1000!

This thread gave me the chills! :o

Leroy
08-16-2007, 11:27 PM
It has come to my attention that we have Mastercraft owners.....so called men wearing Crocs.....this topic was discussed in detail with Maristar, Hoosier Bob, Slinkyredfoot, and Mrcrowson last night at Mudsocks. No notes were taken but the conclusion was clear....

You may need to do a Croc intervention with your neighbors, they will thank you later :D

I was told it is rare I speak out on topics like this so you know there is a problem ;)

I love it Leroy, I have 2 and I did say 2 neighbors now wearing plastic slippers. Great avatar Sir Mod your holiness sir. :D

bcampbe7
08-16-2007, 11:29 PM
It has come to my attention that we have Mastercraft owners.....so called men wearing Crocs.....this topic was discussed in detail with Maristar, Hoosier Bob, Slinkyredfoot, and Mrcrowson last night at Mudsocks. No notes were taken but the conclusion was clear....

You may need to do a Croc intervention with your neighbors, they will thank you later :D

I was told it is rare I speak out on topics like this so you know there is a problem ;)

Wait a minute! Maristar and HB met last night? Where there fireworks? Time didn't stand still here. How 'bout there?

suedv
08-16-2007, 11:30 PM
This is a northern water snake I saw about 6 weeks ago while walking through a wetland. It just looked at me and minded its own business.

endl
08-16-2007, 11:33 PM
A lot of people think all water snakes are venomous and kill them unnecessarily. Around here people confuse northern water snakes with water moccasin. Northern water snakes will bite if they feel threatened, but otherwise they leave you alone. Their bite isn't venomous. I'm actually in the process of writing a US Fish and Wildlife Endangered Species grant to protect the habitat of the copperbelly water snake here in Michigan. They aren't venomous either.
Same down here most water snakes are not venomous and most get confused with being "Water Moccasins". We do have our fair share of WM's especially south in the Delta Areas. WM's dont get near the size of the Brown Water Snakes in AR. We have caught some Brown Water Snakes that are 6' long and as big around as a mans arm.

TX.X-30 fan
08-17-2007, 12:35 AM

I certainly appreciate your candor, can you honestly tell me that steve did not have a pair of Crocs on. I have a source that has informed me that steve has a tendency to slip on the Croc after a few beers, although I have never personally witnessed this behavior. :confused:

TMCNo1
08-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Any snake is good snake , as long as it's dead, along with them funny plastic shoes, kill'em all!

ttu
08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
here in northeastern oklahoma we usually don't see many, but about 2 months ago after a lot of rain i was surfing and fell. as my girlfriend came around to give me another pull, she said, hey hurry up, there is a floating log up here so let's go. as i came out of the water on the board i look over to my left and guess what? a nice water moccasin coming towards me. needless to say i got the heck out of there.

scared the crap out of me.

Archimedes
08-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I recall there being water moccasins near the dam every spring at Lake Conroe north of Houston.

Fear of poisonous snakes is paranoia. They're more afraid of you than you of them. Give them an out and they run away. As long as you don't step or sit on one, you're really unlikely to have a problem. We have rattlesnakes all over one of our local golf courses here and they can give you a start if you don't see them early enough, but they've co-oexisted with the golfers for years with few problems.

wgwollet
08-17-2007, 11:08 AM
It could me a true story from your wife. In Tenn (Dale Hollow) where I boat we have seen many snakes. Around the docks is a place water snakes like to be. The ones to watch is the water moc or a cotton mouth. They are called cotton mouth because when they open their mouth it is pure white. These snakes are very aggressive, we have seen them in dens around the shore line and some times, yes, about 100-300 yards from shore.

There cousin is the land copperhead and I had one by my cabin last year. Not as aggressive as the cottonmouth but can be. I never told my wife about the copperhead because she would never want to use the cabin. The snake went out on the road and a friend tried to run it over and missed. The snake raised at least 12" from the ground and was striking the tires, then moved out fast. Never to be seen again.

M-Funf
08-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Just remember the saying:

"Red touch yellow, kill a fellow" (coral snake)
http://www.southalley.com/misc/pattern2.GIF

"Red touch black, friend to Jack (or venom lacks)" (scarlet kingsnake)
http://www.southalley.com/misc/pattern1.GIF

At least that's how I heard it...

But it don't matter much to me...I sees a snake, I run :o

suedv
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
But it don't matter much to me...I sees a snake, I run :o

I see a snake or anything in nature that is pretty, unique, endangered, or strange looking and I grab for my camera. :)

Rick gets antsy on hikes with me because I have to take lots of pictures.

uawaterskier
08-17-2007, 12:33 PM
A lot of people think all water snakes are venomous and kill them unnecessarily. Around here people confuse northern water snakes with water moccasin. Northern water snakes will bite if they feel threatened, but otherwise they leave you alone. Their bite isn't venomous. I'm actually in the process of writing a US Fish and Wildlife Endangered Species grant to protect the habitat of the copperbelly water snake here in Michigan. They aren't venomous either.if its in the water, you can bet I have my 12 gauge pointed at it.

tex
08-17-2007, 02:00 PM
We used to ski at Mustang Canyon and sometimes we would shoot 5-6 before practices. One of the guys just kept a shotgun in his car. I don't do snakes!

Monte
08-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't do snakes!

Tex that is not neccessarily(sp?) true.:o Sounds like you were doing them with a 12guage...;):D

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 08:30 AM
This northern water snake I saw about 6 weeks ago while walking through a wetland.
It just looked at me and minded its own business.You obviously like snakes and yes some snakes do serve us well.

But certainly, NOT ANY OF THESE :noface:

I saw a 4 footr swim past me on top of the water, while deck'n my neighbhor's dock the other day and if I had a machet in my other hand, it would of been in 2 pieces.

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 08:33 AM
How to identify Florida's venomous snakes ....
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl-venomoussnakes.pg,0,3638017.photogallery

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Forgot to mention it was
COTTONMOUTH, WATER MOCCASIN

• Average adult size is 1 1/2 to 4 feet.
• Found throughout Florida in rivers, swamps and nearby bushes and trees.
• Colors vary from black to gray to brown with dark brown markings on its heavy body.
• Its bite can be fatal causing pain and swelling.

Gonzo
07-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Good Snake = Dead Snake

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 08:50 AM
we have a water snake that lives underneath the swim platform on back of our houseboat. my girls lookfor it everytime they swim. it just goes back into it's spot!!!! I HATE snakes!!!! it is just a water snake though!! we really do nto have water mocs on our lake just water snakes and they do get BIG!!!!

Water Mocs are notoriously aggressive!!!!!

also CROCS are a sign of being feminine

Bruce Carr
07-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Snakes are very territorial. A harmless water snake that hangs out around your dock, shore, etc. will run the water mocassins away in addition to keeping the mouse/rat population down. Don't kill your friendly water snake, they work hard for you for free.

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
This was no water snake, it was what I said ...
COTTON MOUTH

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Snakes are very territorial. A harmless water snake that hangs out around your dock, shore, etc. will run the water mocassins away in addition to keeping the mouse/rat population down. Don't kill your friendly water snake, they work hard for you for free.

dude are u smoking crack??????????

i agree with what was said before good snake = dead snake

that being said it is against the law to kill rattlesnakes in TN!!!!! stupid endangered animals!!!! if a snake is near me and i am armed it is def endangered!!!!

bigmac
07-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Snakes? In the water? I've never heard of such a thing but it certainly sounds unpleasant.

BIGBADBLUE
07-08-2008, 09:42 AM
We had a big 'ol snake wrapped around the stern drive of our houseboat last week. I am with Sham on this one ... dead = good when it comes to snakes

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 09:50 AM
We had a big 'ol snake wrapped around the stern drive of our houseboat last week. I am with Sham on this one ... dead = good when it comes to snakes

dang blue we agree ont his and the fact that ur wife cheats at cards too lol!!

love yah sarah!!!!!;)

3event
07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Snakes? In the water? I've never heard of such a thing but it certainly sounds unpleasant.

Good one Big Mac, representing the upper midwest ! DITTO here. We may have hard water in the winter, but no exposure to predatory water dwelling species!

ski_king
07-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I was bit by a water snake while swimming around the dock when I was about 10.

bigmac
07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Good one Big Mac, representing the upper midwest ! DITTO here. We may have hard water in the winter, but no exposure to predatory water dwelling species!
I've never been attacked by a snake in or on a Minnesota lake...especially between the months of November and April.

BIGBADBLUE
07-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I've never been attacked by a snake in or on a Minnesota lake...especially between the months of November and April.

With the whole 2 weeks of summer thing going on I can not imagine why you have no water snake. Coming from an ex-yupper I absolutely understand this ... the water has to get above 40 degrees for snakes :)

shepherd
07-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I've never been attacked by a snake (or a gator) in or on a Florida lake.

But I hear they like the taste of tourists and Yankees... :D

gigem75
07-08-2008, 10:56 AM
We usually see them in the spring in the rocks along shore, saw a big fat one on the dock but once you get people around making noise on the dock they go away.

Why did the snake cross the lake?

shepherd
07-08-2008, 11:03 AM
My old ski buddy in MD thought he snagged a weed or something when he got pulled up to start a ski run. He looked down and saw a water snake wrapped around his boot. :eek:

bigmac
07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
With the whole 2 weeks of summer thing going on I can not imagine why you have no water snake. Coming from an ex-yupper I absolutely understand this ... the water has to get above 40 degrees for snakes :)
We've had more than a week of temps in the 80's. I'm tired of this unrelenting heat.

shepherd
07-08-2008, 11:14 AM
We've had more than a week of temps in the 80's. I'm tired of this unrelenting heat.

:uglyhamme
We call that a "cold wave" down here!

VOLFAN
07-08-2008, 11:16 AM
These pictures was taken durign Labor day weekend last year on Center Hill... Was somewhere between Hurricane Bridge and Mine Lick

VOLFAN
07-08-2008, 11:17 AM
here is another pic

VOLFAN
07-08-2008, 11:18 AM
and one last pic...

BIGBADBLUE
07-08-2008, 11:21 AM
VF - What kind of snake is that?

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 11:21 AM
and one last pic...

i just got chills... HATE snakes i don't care what kind it is if i see it i won't rest until it's dead... oddly enough my name is Patrick b/c if i had my way i'd rid alabama of snakes

simple equation GOOD SNAKE = DEAD SNAKE ====> LIVE SNAKE = FUTURE DEAD SNAKE

BIGBADBLUE
07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Looks like the one I saw in Mine Lick last week although I thought the one I saw was darker

VOLFAN
07-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Blue that is the kind I do not want near me....

BIGBADBLUE
07-08-2008, 11:23 AM

hehehe ... my mom says she had to trun on the AC ... it must be above 80.

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 11:28 AM
way to get folks to come to the bash volfan!!! now u have to issue snake repellent for everyone!!!! lol

BIGBADBLUE
07-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Blue that is the kind I do not want near me....

Me either ... I take it is poisonious?

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Me either ... I take it is poisonious?

blue did u not ever watch wild kingdom????

rattlesnake bro!!!!

BIGBADBLUE
07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I was deprived ... OK?

VOLFAN
07-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I thought it might scare some people away... They don't need to worry though that is Sham's family pet :)

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
So VOL did you chop it w/ the prop or what?

VOLFAN
07-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I did not see it in person... A friend/coworker's friend took the pic on the way to meet up with them.

If I was to have seen it then it would have gotten split in half!

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 11:47 AM
You mean chopped, diced and shredded ...
Cuisenart Style

BIGBADBLUE
07-08-2008, 11:51 AM
3,000 RPM's from a NiBril prop makes good snake sushi ... cut very thin

bxroads
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
On the chattahoochee river this weekend..........

http://shutter13.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/25/001/7B/F2/BE/20/74JqCzKu2G4UhPjzxsavf9r4OnFKLqAx0300.jpg

JimN
07-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Snakes are great predators of small critters that would be a real PITA if left alone.

Geez- trick Eve into eating an apple and they get a bad rap forever.

Unless it's a particularly aggressive specie and it's on the ground, all you need to do to avoid being bitten is walk around it or not put a hand, foot or face in it's striking range.

They're just misunderstood.

JimN
07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Looks like the caption for the photo should be. "Now what?".

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
bxrods that looks pretty close to the kind I saw and if / when I see it again it'll be a DEAD SNAKE ..

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
it would have been awesome if harold would have done a power turn on top of the snake while it was eating... saaawwweeetness