PDA

View Full Version : Hard Steering 2003 Prostar 197

gkjeep
08-16-2007, 11:38 AM
My boat steers like a truck it is very hard to move the wheel. Any suggestions does the cable need to be replaced or can it be lubricated. If the cable needs replacing can this be done by myself or is it a mechanic type job.

Thanks,

Gary

tex
08-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Lube first and see how that works. You can replace the cable yourself if you have some skillz. I thought it was worth the $$$ to just have them do it!

Ric
08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
what tex said..... plus, if you are going to do the job, pony up for the 06 rudder setup.... NICE

tex
08-16-2007, 11:43 AM
what tex said..... plus, if you are going to do the job, pony up for the 06 rudder setup.... NICE
What he said!

gkjeep
08-16-2007, 11:50 AM
What is the 06 rudder setup and cost

gkjeep
08-16-2007, 11:50 AM
What is the 06 rudder setup and cost

x30
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
You probably need new cables. I was talking to an MC dealer last week and he said the 2 most common repairs are fuel pumps (modules) and steering cables. I have a 2002 X30 and just has the fuel pump replaced. I have yet to do the steering cables. Good luck.

gkjeep
08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
any idea on the cost of the steering cable repair

mdthacker
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I just recently replaced the cable on my 2002 X-7. The cable cost me $175. The dealer wanted 4 1/2 hours at a rate of $85 per hour to do the job for me. End to end, it probably took me the same amount of time to do it myself. If you end up doing this, I can likely give you some pointers as I'm fairly sure our boats are quite similar.

I would also be interested to have more information on upgrading the rudder to the 06 configuration. I am assuming that they mean 06 or newer... Anyone have any cost information on this and are there any running differences with the new configuration?

Ric
08-16-2007, 01:29 PM
the 06 rudder is like power steering for your 197.... I would not have believed it, til I had the 06 rudder done on my 05 197 and it's awesome. better tracking, easy steering, great control. NICE.. amazing a rudder can make that much difference really. Price? I don't know, but unless you are a very good mechanic, I would not mess with a steering cable or rudder replacement job myself...

captain planet
08-16-2007, 06:23 PM
My boat steers like a truck it is very hard to move the wheel. Any suggestions does the cable need to be replaced or can it be lubricated. If the cable needs replacing can this be done by myself or is it a mechanic type job.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary, if your mechanically inclined get yourself a six-pack, two friends, and some 3/16" rope and pull it yourself. Someone on here said their dealer wanted 4.5 hours :eek3: OMG. It takes about 45 minutes. It literally is about 6 or 8 bolts.

Hey CASX2, how long did it take us to replace your cable?

Captain Planet

vogelm1
08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
the 06 rudder is like power steering for your 197.... I would not have believed it, til I had the 06 rudder done on my 05 197 and it's awesome. better tracking, easy steering, great control. NICE.. amazing a rudder can make that much difference really. Price? I don't know, but unless you are a very good mechanic, I would not mess with a steering cable or rudder replacement job myself...

Ric - was your rudder upgrade plug-and-play, or did you need to also purchase the port/housing? I've got an '05 197 and thinking about switching out rudders this fall. I had heard that most of them fit fine, but there were a few cases where the housings had to be swapped too. Thanks for the info.

Sodar
08-16-2007, 11:36 PM

Thanks,

Gary

Isn't yout boat for sale by California Skier? Or did you just by it from them?

mdthacker
08-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Ok, here is a stab at the procedure that I followed to switch out my steering cable on the 2002 X-7/Prostar:

- In the rear truck area, remove the side panels/carpet pieces. Then remove the bottom panel/carpet exposing the gas tank and ballast impeller.

- Reaching through the hole in the gas tank, remove the nut/bolt assembly which holds the end of the cable to the rudder assembly.
Now, VERY IMPORTANT, tie a heavy duty string or small gauge rope to the rear hold on the steering cable. This will be used to pull the new cable into place later.

- My boat has a rear floor panel located to the rear of the motor cover. To remove this panel, you must remove the engine cover from the boat. This is removed by opening the full cover, disconnect the piston rods, then either remove the upper or lower hinge screws. Then get the cover out of the boat.

- Remove the rear floor panel by pulling up on it from the edge by the engine opening. On my 2002, there were no screws holding this panel into place. I have heard that some other models years might have a couples of screws that need to be removed for this to come off.

- Once the rear floor panel is removed, this will expose where the steering cable attaches to a hold down/adjustment assembly. Just use a large wrench to disconnect the steering cable coupling nut from this assembly.

- Follow the steering cable toward the front of the boat to find and remove any cable-ties if there are any.

- In the front cockpit area, there is a front lower kick panel that is attached with 3 or 4 large screws near the floor. Remove these screws from the kick panel. Also, if any electronic boxes are attached to this panel, label and remove any of the wire connectors from them. Lastly, if you have a sub-woofer in this panel, when removing the panel, you will need to disconnect the speaker wire from the rear during the panel removal.

- Remove the six bolts from the steering box located on the bottom of the steering wheel assembly which will be the last thing holding the steering cable on the boat.

- Now, you really need a couple of people (and maybe beer) at this step. Have one person kinda wedge their body under the cockpit area. Their job is to help guide the cable through the 180 turn it takes up front. I do recommend that when the cable is pulled forward enough to expose the connectors behind the engine, wrap the rear portion of the cable with plastic before pulling forward to help minimize grease getting in unwanted locations. Your helper in this step will be to assist in helping to pull the cable forward and feed the cable outside the boat during removal.

- Now that the cable is out, remove the string from the mounting hole in the old cable and attach to the new cable.

- Ok, start putting the new cable in by using the string as a guide for pulling the cable in to place. The person under the cockpit at this step will really need to help guide the cable through the 180 degree turn and ensure it does not initially get caught on any wires or cables.

- When you have the rear section of the steering cable to the rear of the engine, stop for a sec. Before feeding the rear cable section through the eye of the rear mounting/adjustment connector, ensure you grease up everything very well. Fully extend the cable and coat the rear section of the cable generously in 2-4-C grease or similar.

- Feed the cable through the rear assembly/adjustment connector and tighten well the coupling nut of the steering cable.

- It's probably a good idea to grease up the rudder while you've got everything open as well. There is a grease nipple inside the boat on the main shaft. This connector will not take much grease at all, 1-2 pumps at a max normally.

- Connect the rear cable to the rudder arm and center the rudder.

- While keeping the rudder straight and steering wheel straight, connect the steering box to the bottom of the steering wheel assembly. You still might need to adjust the steering later, but I found it easier just to remove and reconnect the steering wheel.

- Put the rear truck, engine covers, and front kick panels back in place and you're done.

- My boat went taking my wife and daughter working together to turn it to being able to turn using just your pinky finger...