PDA

View Full Version : Fords burning

Leroy
08-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Pretty scary, and Ford seems to deny any problem....I know there have been performance related cruise control problems from Ford reported on here, this is more serious.

Earl Mohlis says faulty cruise control switch caused fire that killed his wife
Ford denies the switch started the blaze; company settled Mohlis' lawsuit
Ford has recalled more than 10 million vehicles in past decade
CNN in 2005 began airing investigative reports on sudden fires in Ford vehicles

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/15/ford.recall/index.html

TX.X-30 fan
08-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Pretty scary, and Ford seems to deny any problem....I know there have been performance related cruise control problems from Ford reported on here, this is more serious.

Earl Mohlis says faulty cruise control switch caused fire that killed his wife
Ford denies the switch started the blaze; company settled Mohlis' lawsuit
Ford has recalled more than 10 million vehicles in past decade
CNN in 2005 began airing investigative reports on sudden fires in Ford vehicles

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/15/ford.recall/index.html

Think this would help. :confused:

east tx skier
08-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Had mine fixed in the recall of 05 or so. Takes a few minutes (or it did once they got the part).

TX.X-30 fan
08-16-2007, 01:27 AM
It Is A Little Amazing That A Cruise Control Module/switch Can Burn Your Vehicle To The Ground. Wow??

east tx skier
08-16-2007, 01:36 AM
More annoying was when they disconnected it for five months while they waited to make the replacement part.

6ballsisall
08-16-2007, 01:51 AM
I have a customer in SC that had his Expedition burn to the ground. He came home late one evening and awoke early in the morning to fire trucks in his driveway putting out a smoldering Expedition. Pretty scary really!

Prostar in Michigain
08-16-2007, 01:52 AM
thats why we got a Suburban

tommcat
08-16-2007, 08:29 AM
ford has to deny fault for legal reasons, otherwise everyone would be suing. even people who had no problems.
ford isnt denying a problem though, thats why we are replacing dozens of the switched every day and have been for a few years now.

Leroy
08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Wasn't really trying to wizz on Ford's, just shocked that something seemingly so small can burn so many cars up. I heard this at work, Car-BQ

milkmania
08-16-2007, 09:27 AM
ford has to deny fault for legal reasons, otherwise everyone would be suing. even people who had no problems.
ford isnt denying a problem though, thats why we are replacing dozens of the switched every day and have been for a few years now.
back in the early 80's my family had a ford LTD station wagon..... you know the one with the simulated wood grain siding:rolleyes:
similar to this http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classics/files/105500/105925.html

we were on a toll road using cruise control, pulled into the toll booth, foot on brake, engine goes full RPM, causing the wagon to slam into both sides of the tool booths.

that was a fun ride:cool:

the "family truckster" http://www.ajga.org/newsletter/theajgalink/8-5-05/thegallery.asp

:uglyhamme

tommcat
08-16-2007, 09:34 AM
back in the early 80's my family had a ford LTD station wagon..... you know the one with the simulated wood grain siding
the family truckster?? sweet

That there Clark is an RV

milkmania
08-16-2007, 09:38 AM
the family truckster?? sweet

That there Clark is an RV

that 8 track was sweet!!!! the music never stopped:woohoo:

JimN
08-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Ford issues recalls fro 3.6 million vehicles on this one. My parents had a 1981 Crown Victoria and it had the ignition switch recall. Add the brake switch and cruise control recalls, and then they wonder why they constantly have financial problems.

TX.X-30 fan- if you want to see how a fire can start in something like that, get two pliers and a 2' piece of 18 gauge wire, hold one end on the positive battery post and place the other end on the negative post for about one second. Wear safety glasses and make sure you have a fire extinguisher. Wear old clothes and make sure your wife isn't watching you.

OK, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!. The insulation will burn off along the length of the wire until the wire fuses (burns through at its thinnest or weakest point).

Workin' 4 Toys
08-16-2007, 11:21 PM
It Is A Little Amazing That A Cruise Control Module/switch Can Burn Your Vehicle To The Ground. Wow??
Sort of like a sparkler would do if it were lit inside the steering column.

Any of you guys that have access to these parts, can you take a look and see where the part has stamped on it where it's made, is it China, Korea, or........

milkmania
08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
TX.X-30 fan- if you want to see how a fire can start in something like that, get two pliers and a 2' piece of 18 gauge wire, hold one end on the positive battery post and place the other end on the negative post for about one second. Wear safety glasses and make sure you have a fire extinguisher. Wear old clothes and make sure your wife isn't watching you.

OK, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!. The insulation will burn off along the length of the wire until the wire fuses (burns through at its thinnest or weakest point).

I knew a guy that arc'd his wedding ring.....
burnt to the bone!

tommcat
08-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Sort of like a sparkler would do if it were lit inside the steering column.

it isnt the switch in the steering wheel that is causing the problem or being replaced. it is the cruise cut off switch mounted on the brake master cylinder that shuts the cruise off if you stomp the brakes.

and 99% of the time we are not replacing the switch, just putting on a jumper harness with a fuse in it so it blows when the switch does short out instead of burning the vehicle to the ground.

Leroy
08-17-2007, 08:55 AM
That works!

it isnt the switch in the steering wheel that is causing the problem or being replaced. it is the cruise cut off switch mounted on the brake master cylinder that shuts the cruise off if you stomp the brakes.

and 99% of the time we are not replacing the switch, just putting on a jumper harness with a fuse in it so it blows when the switch does short out instead of burning the vehicle to the ground.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-17-2007, 09:44 AM
it isnt the switch in the steering wheel that is causing the problem or being replaced. it is the cruise cut off switch mounted on the brake master cylinder that shuts the cruise off if you stomp the brakes.Opps. I was thinking ignition switch.......Either way, never had those problems with any one of my 8 fords from early 90s through 2006. Never even had a recall on one. Weird.
Thanks for the tip though, If I see a blazing inferno on the expressway one day, I'll go see if they have this jumper wire installed.

JimN
08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
tommcat- why don't they just tap into the brake light wiring, like aftermarket cruise control systems? No need for another switch, just the presence of voltage on an input terminal that allows the cruise to work only when there's no signal at all.

tommcat
08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
it does get a signal from the BOO switch and normally works off that alone. the one on the brake master is there for back up, in case something went wrong with the electrical part you have the one activated by brake pressure.

and it's the brake fluid causing the actual problems. it is working its way up through the switch and shorting them out. the reason they are burning in peoples garages is that there is power through that switch at all times, even with the key off.

JimN
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
"the reason they are burning in peoples garages is that there is power through that switch at all times, even with the key off."

I know I like using my cruise control when I sit in my truck with the key off, in the garage, making vroom- vroom sounds.

Who's the rocket surgeon who decided to design this to have the B+ on when the key is off? That's just bad engineering. If the controller doesn't like being turned ON and OFF, it's still bad engineering. What's more, it's bad project management/design/risk assessment/stoopid.

What possible reason could they give for having the B+ present when the key is off?

tommcat
08-17-2007, 11:28 AM
"the reason they are burning in peoples garages is that there is power through that switch at all times, even with the key off."

I know I like using my cruise control when I sit in my truck with the key off, in the garage, making vroom- vroom sounds.

Who's the rocket surgeon who decided to design this to have the B+ on when the key is off? That's just bad engineering. If the controller doesn't like being turned ON and OFF, it's still bad engineering. What's more, it's bad project management/design/risk assessment/stoopid.

What possible reason could they give for having the B+ present when the key is off?
i've asked that, and was told it was designed that way for "safety reasons"
not sure what the reason would be, i think they were just making up excuses for a stupid engineer.

JimN
08-17-2007, 11:43 AM
"For safety reasons"? What a load of BS! A first year peon who installs car alarms knows that this is the wrong way to wire something! A power lead with no protection is almost demanding to have a problem. Let me guess- they tapped into the main harness before the fusible link, right?

tommcat
08-17-2007, 12:22 PM
actually most of them do initially go through a fuse, i dont know why the fuses dont blow as they should though. for some reason the switch gets hot enough to catch on fire before the fuse blows

uawaterskier
08-17-2007, 01:27 PM
this still isnt as good as the 07 powerstrokes with the flamethrower exhaust from the factory.

TMCNo1
08-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Ya gotta use something for firewood for a weinie roast!

tommcat
08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
this still isnt as good as the 07 powerstrokes with the flamethrower exhaust from the factory.i've seen that in person. it happened when i was at training on them, nice option:rolleyes: