PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels/Rims on 1993 Prostar trailer

ColonelGigantus
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Curious to know if anyone has ever "altered" their trailer to accomodate NEW & different rims for a 1993 Prostar trailer. I am highly interested in putting on new CHROME & Black rims with some lower profile tires, but find that FEW fit the star pattern (rims) and fewer even fit into/under the trailer's fiberglass wheel housing. Am I the only guy out there who desires a new look on his trailer? It looks as if you need to life the trailer from the axle (more space for the tire/rim combo) and was considering a block lift (like a body life on a jeep). Thanks! I have a new color concept for the trailer and goes with my 25th Anniv Stars & Stripes Pro-Star (Red & White)...

O2BESOHUGE
08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
If I Went Any Lower On My Trailer Tires...i Would Be Scraping Sooo Bad On The Prop Guard.

I Think Shephard Replaced His Wheels And Tires. Shep, What Size Did You Go Back With?

O2

east tx skier
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I put a 2" lift on my trailer, not to accomodate larger wheels, but to keep it from scraping the driveway so often. As you can see, larger wheels/tires could have been an option though. Are these low profile tires "trailer tires"? If not, I'd put in a vote for not putting anything under that beautiful 93 S&S other than a good trailer tire.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/TrailerLift.jpg

O2BESOHUGE
08-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Was It Hard To "lift" A Trailer? How Much Would Doing That Cost? I May Need To Do That!

Thanks!

east tx skier
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I didn't do it. I hired it out to a guy who hand makes frames for travel trailers. He fabricated some steel blocks to lift the springs over the axle. I had the axle aligned and then he welded the pins in place so there would be no chance of it getting knocked off on the chance that I were to ever drop the boat off the back of a boat ramp or something like that.

In the end, it tows the same, doesn't drag unless I'm at a really weird angle going up the driveway, and doesn't seem to require much more depth to launch (although I'm sure it does need a touch more).

Ran me a few hundred dollars to let someone else do it.

92 190 PS
08-15-2007, 06:38 PM
They were on there when I got the boat, but I believe Overtons carries them. Good luck.....

TMCNo1
08-15-2007, 08:15 PM
As long as you keep it in the 15", 16", 17" and maybe even 18" wheel size range and keep the tire diameter equal to or a little larger than original you should be fine, but any tire on a wheel over 15" will have to be a passanger car tire and you will have to be sure they have the proper capacity to carry the load.
I went with American Chrome Wagon Wheel 15"X8" even before we purchased our boat new in '89. I did all the necessary measuring to assure they would fit and not rub anywhere. In 2002 I went with a larger diameter tire for more load carring capacity and less rolling resistance and I had new 2" long shackles made to give me some additional clearance for safety sake.

Waterskibum
08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I went crazy this spring and redid my whole trailer for my 93 S&S.
Went with the new style torsion axle, electric brakes, and the 2006 Mastercraft 6 lug wheels with 225/75/15 Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. Then had the trailer sand blasted, powdercoated, and completely new wiring and LED lights installed. Guy here in town did it. Probably spent more than I should have, but it sure stands out :D