PDA

View Full Version : hot beer

rodltg2
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
i have a fairly large cooler in my wakeboard boat. i usually buy some beer for most outings and keep the cooler full, you never know what may come up. well the ones on the bottom don't get touched very often, that is until sunday. i must have grabbed one from the beginning of summer with a born on date of March 3. it tasted like ****even though it was cold. so does beer go bad once it has been hot and cold too many times??

trickskier
08-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Yes it does, it's called heat punished beer.............

tones03
08-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Yes, varying the temp decreases the life of the beer dramaticly. Keeping it at a constant temp will make it last longer. (learn a lot on the free tour at the A-B factory)

east tx skier
08-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Beer can go bad. My wife is a subscriber to the theory that once chilled, beer should stay chilled. I can't remember where I read this, but I don't believe that allowing a beer to warm up to room temp or maybe a tad warmer will bother it much. That said, if it happens repeatedly, the lifespan may be shortened. Furthermore, days on end in the hot sun is another story. If they are in bottles, what color are the bottles. Green and clear bottles allows light in easily. A good bit of light can skunk up your beer in a hurry.

rodltg2
08-14-2007, 04:02 PM
no bottles on the boat, bad news. the cans tend to get fairly warm since i just drain the cooler and leave the cans in there. i guess from now on i need to empty it and re stock the fridge.

east tx skier
08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
no bottles on the boat, bad news. the cans tend to get fairly warm since i just drain the cooler and leave the cans in there. i guess from now on i need to empty it and re stock the fridge.

Don't know which boat you're talking about, Rod, but did you see that thread on PN about insulating a boat cooler on a wakeboard boat? Can't remember what they suggested using, but it apparently sprays on.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Thats alcohol abuse......

tex
08-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Rod-I have the same issues. I'm always shocked at how many times the beer can get hot/cold without going bad! The old notion that it will go bad after one time usually only applies to women!

TX.X-30 fan
08-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Never had beer around long enough to go through the hot/cold cycle. :D ;)

east tx skier
08-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Stocking up is sort of a necessity in a dry county. Apart from our bottles, which are stored in the high 30s (degrees that is), we buy our beer 15.5 gallons at a time.

rodltg2
08-14-2007, 05:13 PM
no matter who's coming or what public lake im going too, i always stock the cooler full. you never know what may happen , party you come across or beer pimps. last thing you want to hapen is to run out.

roddydog
08-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Stocking up is sort of a necessity in a dry county. Apart from our bottles, which are stored in the high 30s (degrees that is), we buy our beer 15.5 gallons at a time.
You're talkin' my language now.:toast:

trickskier
08-14-2007, 05:21 PM
I thought prohibition was over..............25872

chudson
08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
This is along the same line of thought here but did anyone watch Discovery Channel with the Mythbusters when they did a show on the fastest way to cool beer down !!! I think this is pretty much what they found out.

1. Dry (CO2) based fire extinguisher - two or so minutes, is not practical.

2. Ice bath (ice in water) with lots of salt added - 7-10 minutes can be done in any cooler.

3. Ice bath (ice in water) no salt - about 15 minutes.

4. Freezer - about 20 minutes.

east tx skier
08-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I thought prohibition was over..............25872

With the end of prohibition in Texas, counties (and precincts within counties) were allowed to determine whether to be wet or dry or a hybrid of both, i.e., serve alchol in bars or restaurants, but not allow it to be sold at grocery stores, liquor stores, 7-11, etc. We're in that category (the most wet little dry county you've ever seen). You can petition for option elections, to go wet, but often times, the bars and restaurants fight this pretty hard as they have much to gain in being the exclusive wetters of our collective whistles.

There are something like 240+ dry areas in Texas, some of them within the boundaries of major metro areas.

It's all very ridiculous in my opinion.

east tx skier
08-14-2007, 05:52 PM
You're talkin' my language now.:toast:

The kegerator started as a home for homebrew. But with kids, the time to brew was cut short. And so off to the store we went.

trickskier
08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
With the end of prohibition in Texas, counties (and precincts within counties) were allowed to determine whether to be wet or dry or a hybrid of both, i.e., serve alchol in bars or restaurants, but not allow it to be sold at grocery stores, liquor stores, 7-11, etc. We're in that category (the most wet little dry county you've ever seen). You can petition for option elections, to go wet, but often times, the bars and restaurants fight this pretty hard as they have much to gain in being the exclusive wetters of our collective whistles.

There are something like 240+ dry areas in Texas, some of them within the boundaries of major metro areas.

It's all very ridiculous in my opinion.
I was just messing with you Eastie. However, 240+ dry areas still existing in Texas today is unbelievable..................We still have some Blue Laws in effect in Florida that limit the hours or prohibit the sale of alcohol on Sunday........Funny thing happened in Jacksonville about 20 years ago.........No alcohol could be sold on Sunday in Duval County.......However, restaurants were allowed to serve after 1pm.........So this preacher who thought he had a lot of political power tried to pass a bill that alcohol could not be served in restaurants on Sunday...........So it was put on the ballot as an all or nothing bill.......We voted in the sale of ALL alcohol on Sunday by a landslide.............We can now buy 24/7 thanks to him...........:D

TX.X-30 fan
08-14-2007, 06:19 PM

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: ;)

Still no liquor on Sunday.
No beer till noon Sunday
Beer sales until 12pm Friday, like 1am/2am Saturday in stores.

east tx skier
08-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Just bars and restaurants (and via the local winery's retail outlet). Apart from that, it's a 20 minute drive to the lake if you want the booze.

Leroy
08-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Also depends if the beer is pasturized or not. Coors used to be not pasturized and would go bad easily, I don't know if it is pasturized now or not.

TMCNo1
08-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Here in NC there are still dry counties, but Liquor By the Drink inside city limits of towns in some of those counties in restaurants only. Then in wet counties beer sales stop @ 2:00am and resume @ 7:30am next morning.