phecksel
08-14-2007, 01:01 PM
MB failed
2 active SATA drives
C: contains XP, all data + some of photos
E: mirror of C: (several weeks old) + all the photos

G: USB drive containing backup of everything

now comes the fun
I accidentally set E: Drive in as primary drive on MB. It started up and was a mess, until I finally figured out what happened. Now none of the office products are working properly, giving all kinds of missing file errors. I don't have any email messages past 5/24, including all the new ones pulled off the server. They download and disappear. The best thing, none of my recent data files are available, they have disappeared from all drives, including the USB drive.

Luckily my quicken is always backed up to another computer, which was saved from this nightmare.

How do I unravel this mess? It's the missing files I'm most concerned with, where did they go? Pretty much resigned to reloading XP, which was overdue anyway. I'm about two steps away from becoming a fruit.

I also need to revisit my whole backup plan and execution.

dmayer84
08-14-2007, 01:54 PM
how did you accidentially set the e drive as the primary drive? You could copy the e drive to your c drive and then boot up.

phecksel
08-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Two identical cables, two identical connectors on the MB, easy enough to mix up

phecksel
08-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Update, co-worker suggested disconnecting drive E: and see what happens. Well, the system is closer to normal now. Going to spend some time with it figuring out what else needs fixing before plugging the drive back in again.

dmayer84
08-14-2007, 10:37 PM
thats a good idea, just wondering if there is the boot loader on the other drive. If there isnt, image the drive, then reinstall windows on the drive and resotre data from the image.

JimN
08-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Get a SATA-USB cable. It may come as an IDE-USB but those usually have an IDE-SATA adaptor. This will also come with a power supply and lets the hard drive look like just another mass storage device to the computer you're moving files to. If the drive fails mechanically, you're SOL.