PDA

View Full Version : I have fuel, but no spark

milkmania
02-28-2005, 01:47 PM
91 PS190 351 Indmar/with Holley carb.

I found out today, that I do have good fuel flow, but no spark.
I pulled a plug, put the wire back on the plug, then grounded the metal part of the plug, cranked it over and no spark.

In saying this, I also do not have reading on fuel gauge, amp gauge, or depth sounder.
blower/bilge/horn/lights/acc all work fine.
tried resetting push button switches on control panel, and the red switch on the back of motor. confirmed lanyard/kill switch was secure.

I need an idea on where to start, and what to bypass for troubleshooting purposes only.

thanks guys

jsonova99
02-28-2005, 01:58 PM
:confused: I have the same boat, but have not run across this. I would think that it has to be fuse realted based on the description you're giving. I'm trying to think if there is an easy way to make sure you are getting power to the coil to rule out a bad coil. Did you check the small carbon conductor in the middle of the distributor cap? If that broke you would have spark problems, although having your guages dead but other accessories working has got to be the key to the problem.

I'm not familiar with the fuse setup on the boat yet since I've been lucky enough to not have to fool with it. I would start there. I diagram of what's on each fuse would be nice, not sure where to get one though.

Footin
02-28-2005, 02:07 PM
With what you discribed, I would be looking at the ignition switch (key it self). This is assuming you have wired the depth finder to it directly.
You have lost power to electrical items it controls and still have power to direct electrical accessories.

Just an idea.

milkmania
02-28-2005, 02:21 PM
good ideas....

let me go back a little further, if you will.....lol

I added the proper amount of Sta-bilŪ fuel stabilizer back in early fall.
took it to the lake, to get "one last time" out in the boat and get the fuel stabilized well...only 30 minutes from home to lake with the wife and kids .

we were out for an hour, and headed back to shore. EVERYTHING went DEAD! no cranking, no radio,horn....zip/zilch/nada
called Sheriff's office (only boaters on lake), they called Lake Patrol, Lake Patrol said paddle in (since it was not life/death stuff) and it would take them 2 hours to get to me anyway.

got the boat to shore, got it loaded, pulled away from ramp.....engine would crank over, but not start....

listened to "I told ya so's" all the way home.....seemed longer than 30 minutes!!!

milkmania
02-28-2005, 02:24 PM
forgot to mention
I do have electronic ignition on this boat

jsonova99
02-28-2005, 02:31 PM
When I first test drove my boat, it did the same thing on the ramp, completely dead, motor accessories, everything. Pushed the buttons on the control panel and it came to life suddenly and haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure how that works but maybe something to look at.

As far as electronic ignition goes, you will still have the small conductor in the distributor cap that I was talking about, it 's how the rotor receives power from the coil. Unfortunately, I don't think this is your problem. It definitley sounds like you have a faulty switch or something in the ignition system.

I'll take a look at mine this week and see if I can figure out how this stuff ties in because I would like to know myself in case I have antoher "event".

Homer
02-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Sounds to me like your kill switch teather popped off or has burned out.

milkmania
02-28-2005, 02:53 PM
http://www.writeonrice.com/pic1.jpg
878kb

http://www.writeonrice.com/pic2.jpg (http://www.writeonrice.com/pic2.jpg)
708kb

homer, do you know of a way of wiring "around" the kill switch?

ie: bypassing for troubleshooting
something as simple as 1 wire connecting the 2 points?

BriEOD
02-28-2005, 02:59 PM
This may sound crazy but it happened to me once before. Are you sure that you have a good connection on your negative battery terminal. Try playing with the cables and see if you have any juice. I would start there and work forward to the ignition switch and so on. Just get out the fluke and check for 12 VDC.

Homer
02-28-2005, 03:03 PM
You'll have to cut the two purple wires that go to the kill switch and twist the ends together. That will bypass the switch. You'll be able to check it very quickly just by turning the key switch on. The fuel and voltmeter should pop up when you do this, then crank it over and the engine should start.

milkmania
02-28-2005, 03:03 PM
hot dog!!!!
Homer wins!!!!!!!!!

I connected a wire from the purple wire to the other purple wire on the key switch, in effect bypassing the lanyard/kill switch and she started right up :woohoo:

I forgot how wonderful that sound was:toast:

Nova Scotia Skier
02-28-2005, 03:06 PM
I wrote up something but i was too slow. Glad you got it going.. :)

milkmania
02-28-2005, 03:06 PM
You'll have to cut the two purple wires that go to the kill switch and twist the ends together. That will bypass the switch. You'll be able to check it very quickly just by turning the key switch on. The fuel and voltmeter should pop up when you do this, then crank it over and the engine should start.

that is exactly the way it went!!! except I used a jumper wire.

soon as I made contact, the depth sounder started chirping, and the fuel gauge went up to 3/4 tank. was too excited to check voltmeter

I'd been somewhat embarrassed to bring this to the board, and when I did bring it to the board, it was fixed within the hour

thank you!

also Homer, welcome to the board:steering:

Homer
02-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Happy to help!!!
You owe me a pull.

milkmania
03-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I wrote up something but i was too slow. Glad you got it going.. :)

I did get a chance to read your reply briefly...

thank you for the thoughts and ideas.

milkmania
03-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Happy to help!!!
You owe me a pull.

you gonna be in Oklahoma any time???

Ryan
05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I just got the same symptom! I am so frustrated. 93 190 351HO

Kill switch - I poked through the insulation on the wire going in and out, both have power going through indicating the switch is working when the clip is on the switch. I lose the wires as they go into the back of the fuse pannel. I am going to have to break the pannel to get it off because the top center screw is stuck in it's insert. The only way to reach the insert is to cut the fiberglass under the dash. Can anyone tell me what the kill switch wires connect to?

Ryan
05-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Just found the problem. The actual kill-switch is going bad and runs now.

H20skeefreek
08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
hey y'all. I'm having the same problems with mine, except my boat is an '85 with no kill switch.

everything connected to the panel works: horn, pump, lights.

it turns over, but does not fire. I check for spark with a timing light. I get none.

If I check the + side of the coil I'm getting less than 1 volt in. so to me it sounds like a safety lanyard, but this boat didn't come with one.

HELP PLEASE!!!

6ballsisall
08-07-2005, 08:14 PM
hey y'all. I'm having the same problems with mine, except my boat is an '85 with no kill switch.

everything connected to the panel works: horn, pump, lights.

it turns over, but does not fire. I check for spark with a timing light. I get none.

If I check the + side of the coil I'm getting less than 1 volt in. so to me it sounds like a safety lanyard, but this boat didn't come with one.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Hows the ballast resistor?

H20skeefreek
08-07-2005, 08:17 PM
how do I check that?

also, there is much talk about removing it with E-ignition. I have E-ignition, but have a ballast resistor. I didn't install it, it came that way, should it be removed/bypassed?

EDIT: from the reading i've done, it is bypassed.

H20skeefreek
08-07-2005, 11:09 PM
back to the front page

6ballsisall
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Ah, didnt know you had EI on it.

Have you checked the voltage at the key switch?

H20skeefreek
08-08-2005, 07:45 AM
I have not checked it, but do I need to? it's cranking just fine, just no spark.

H20skeefreek
08-09-2005, 06:21 AM
another interesting piece of info. Normally when i turn the key to the on position, all of my gauges zero out. they aren't doing anything (except for the voltmeter).

H20skeefreek
08-09-2005, 04:44 PM
fixed, loose wire.