PDA

View Full Version : Loud Screeching sound durning cornering

cjhmi
08-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I have a 1996 200VRS I bought used a couple years ago with 130 hrs. This weekend when pulling a skier through turns the boat made a loud screeching noise. It quite when I let off the power. It sounds similar to the sound the boat makes when in reverse only much, much loader. In checking the prop shaft I found the seal cap and lock nut were off of the shaft. I had it the local dealer last season to repack the seal. I guess they never finished the job. Yes I was getting water, but I really did use the boat much over the last year, so never thought to much about. It was dark when I noticed the seal and lock nut being loose, so have not had a chance to go out again since I tighened it up.
My question is about the screeching sound. I am very concerned it was the tranismission slippinp or could it be related to the prop shaft? Also, it appears to only occur in a turn, not during a hard pull out of the hole. Does anyone have any thought or similar experiences?
Thanks,
Chuck

JimN
08-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Sounds like the packing needs to be replaced again. Being loose tends to glaze it and that makes it useless. It's not hard to do and the material is pretty cheap. Not a bad thing if you know how to do this one.

cjhmi
08-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks... thankful to hear that it is not the transmission slipping!

Commandohorn
08-14-2007, 04:37 PM
That screeching is the shaft for sure....

Skibumtx
08-14-2007, 05:21 PM
I have a 1989 Tristar and it is doing the same thing. When I pull a tube and do a sharp turn at 28 mph, I get a loud humming screechy kind of noise from the rear, could it be cavitation due to air being sucked into the prop. I replaced my packing 2 summers ago and replaced the bushings at the same time. The prop was rebuilt this summer and it is not bent or nicked. The trans fluid is at the correct level.