PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Leak

ZenMC
08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Just got back from three terrific days on Broken Bow lake in SE Oklahoma with the family.

Our boat is a new-to-us 97 PS205 LT1 w/ a 1:1 transmission, and we haven't been able to use it as much as we'd like to do to all the rain we've had this season in Oklahoma, overfilled lakes, work etc...

We rented a slip at the marina for the three days so I only launched and loaded the boat once.

After I pulled the boat out of the water I noticed a lot of transmission fluid in the bilge. Fluid was good before the trip, but I admit I didn't check it during the time it was on the water. Now fluid only shows about an eighth inch on the dipstick. There are no noticeable leaks at the rear of the tranny or the cooler, but fluid can be felt at the forward underside of the bell housing, however that's the lowest point so I guess you you'd expect the fluid to migrate there.

I didn't notice any slippage or unusual noise during the time we were using the boat, but there may have been a small amount of vibration toward the end of the last day. Hard to tell because I was pulling my kids on a wakeboard at very low speeds so the boat wasn't being worked very hard.

Does this sound like a front seal to you guys? Do you think I damaged anything?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and I think I'd be OK to R&R the tranny and replace a seal, but I'd like to take a look at a manual. Beyond that I don't know a lot about transmissions, but again with a good manual I might be OK for basic troubleshooting and repair. At $100/hr I kinda hate to turn it over to the dealer.

HELP!!!!!!?

NatesGr8
08-16-2007, 08:35 AM
I have a similar problem on my 94 prostar. Its a slow leak somewhere in the seal. I just avoid running the boat at wot for too long, and only fill the trans fluid to about 1/2 way. It still leaks slightly, but doesn't seem to be as bad. I've been putting off the rebuild for 2 years now :eek: I have heard that the seal replacement isn't that hard and can be done in a day, provided you have a hoist for the transmission. I've just been too lazy to do it.

Nate