PDA

View Full Version : All in One Printer suggestions for College

Dan K
08-10-2007, 12:37 PM
After reading the Laptop thread and the Office laserjet thread with all the great suggestions and advice given, I thought similar info could be shared on college printers. My first daughter is heading off to school shortly and I have been looking for a reasonable all in one color printer with no luck. I am trying to find a printer in the $100 range that does not have high ink cost. Looked at the Epson CX6000 but review say it drinks ink, all the HP's have the multicolor cartridge that leads me to think it will be constantly needing replacement at $22 a crack. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I just (yesterday) bought the Brother MFC440CN. Kind of bought it blind and have used it little, but so far so good. Best Buy $129.

EDIT: Separate ink carts. Fax (conventional and and to/from computer)/scan/copy/print. Network capable. etc...

EDIT II: Brother Multi Function Center 440CN (http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=MFC440CN)

Sodar
08-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I have a CX 6000.... it works for me... I have never considered it drinking ink.... I just replace it when it needs to be replaced!

east tx skier
08-10-2007, 12:50 PM
We have two Dell 1600n all in ones. While they are not color, and probably a bit much for what she needs it for, I've been very impressed with Dell and their printers, more so than the HPs we've always had, which surprised me.

phecksel
08-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Epson factory outlet. If these are actually used and fixed units, I'd be extremely surprised. Often the printers are almost the same price as ink. I'm not a big epson fan, but I've owned six in the last four years. {don't ask :) }. Part of the problem is the cost...just so dang cheap.

Dan K
08-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a CX 6000.... it works for me... I have never considered it drinking ink.... I just replace it when it needs to be replaced!
Sodarski, that's good feedback. I found this printer and liked the separate in cartridge feature but have been afraid of the reviews saying that the low ink comes on early and will not print until the cartridge is changed. She will mostly be printing B & W but having the color available is nice.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-10-2007, 02:19 PM
IIRC the CX 6000 black ink cartridge was the same size as the color cartridge. On our former Canon, the black cartridge was twice as big as any of the color. Black is usually used the most, I presume.

tones03
08-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I bought a printer when I went to college and never used it. If I needed to print something I went to the lab. Pay enough for school might as well use their paper and ink.

ivectoryou
08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
After reading the Laptop thread and the Office laserjet thread with all the great suggestions and advice given, I thought similar info could be shared on college printers. My first daughter is heading off to school shortly and I have been looking for a reasonable all in one color printer with no luck. I am trying to find a printer in the $100 range that does not have high ink cost. Looked at the Epson CX6000 but review say it drinks ink, all the HP's have the multicolor cartridge that leads me to think it will be constantly needing replacement at $22 a crack. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I may have a great HP that I can give you. More in an hour or two. You pay shipping.

Dan

Sodar
08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Sodarski, that's good feedback. I found this printer and liked the separate in cartridge feature but have been afraid of the reviews saying that the low ink comes on early and will not print until the cartridge is changed. She will mostly be printing B & W but having the color available is nice.

The black cartridge is the same size i think. But, I used this printer through college and I typically replaced the cartridge every semester...

Leroy
08-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Most schools have printers all over campus, in the dorm lobby and everywhere. We were told not to take a printer to Indiana University so our son is there now without a printer.

The cost and general upkeep of a printer is a lot I think.

ski_king
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I got my daughter a cheap ($60) HP all in one last year when she went to college. It is a ink hog, but cartrages are about $16.00 ea.
Two cartrages got her thru the school year. She goes to the library for all her heavy printing.

ivectoryou
08-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi again. Attached is a picture of the HP 2170 all-in-one that I can likely give to you (free) if you pay the shipping. My GF bought a new all-in-one because this one had a super small scratch in the glass that ever so slightly would show up on some scanned pics. 4 x 6 pics aren't affected because the scratch is far enough off-center to avoid the scanned image.

EVERYTHING else on it is perfect and we do have the manuals. The last time I asked my GF about it, she said "give it away to anyone who could use it." If you want it, I just need to make one last check with her that I can give it away and it's yours.

Let me know if you want it.

Dan

BrianM
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I picked up an HP 6210 all in one about 4 months ago. It was $149 on closeout at Best Buy. It is being replaced by a newer version so there should still be closeouts out there. Have been really happy with it so far. Much better than my previous Lexmark all in one. The HP seems to be really good on ink for an inkjet.

atlfootr
08-12-2007, 07:45 PM
After reading the Laptop thread and the Office laserjet thread with all the great suggestions and advice given, I thought similar info could be shared on college printers. My first daughter is heading off to school shortly and I have been looking for a reasonable all in one color printer with no luck. I am trying to find a printer in the $100 range that does not have high ink cost. Looked at the Epson CX6000 but review say it drinks ink, all the HP's have the multicolor cartridge that leads me to think it will be constantly needing replacement at $22 a crack. Does anyone have any suggestions ?I've got one for your daughter, it's yours for FREE!
Wife requests that you pay up front for shipping cost ...
brother MFC -5100C
(Mulitfuction Center) Fax-Printer-Copier-Scanner-PC Fax

ski_king
08-12-2007, 07:53 PM
............Epson CX6000 but review say it drinks ink, all the HP's have the multicolor cartridge that leads me to think it will be constantly needing replacement at $22 a crack. ..............
I have a older version of that printer and for the most part it works good.

I don't use Epson ink, I buy generic on Ebay.
$20 buys 2 black and all 3 color.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pk-PRINTER-Ink-T069-for-EPSON-CX5000-CX6000-CX7000F_W0QQitemZ320144671054QQihZ011QQcategoryZ51 302QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

atlfootr
08-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Dan K,
Let me know if you want it, if not .... it's up for dibbs to anyone that ask.

Dan K
08-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Dan K,
Let me know if you want it, if not .... it's up for dibbs to anyone that ask.

This is a great board, I appreciate the offer(s) of free printers and especially the advice shared. My daughter ended up with the Epson
CX6000 which she got a great deal on.

This getting ready for college has me worn out, never knew you needed so much stuff for a 10X15 room. Girls...

atlfootr
08-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Dan K,
Let me know if you want it, if not .... it's up for dibbs to anyone that ask. Going once, going twice, I may jus' give it away to a homeless person on the street.

Dan K
08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Going once, going twice, I may jus' give it away to a homeless person on the street.
I can't believe nobody has taken you up on a FREE printer yet. Looks like it would do the job if I was still looking. If one of her dorm mates speaks up I'll let you know. Do you have any idea on shipping to midwest.

ivectoryou
08-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Hi again. Attached is a picture of the HP 2170 all-in-one that I can likely give to you (free) if you pay the shipping. My GF bought a new all-in-one because this one had a super small scratch in the glass that ever so slightly would show up on some scanned pics. 4 x 6 pics aren't affected because the scratch is far enough off-center to avoid the scanned image.

EVERYTHING else on it is perfect and we do have the manuals. The last time I asked my GF about it, she said "give it away to anyone who could use it." If you want it, I just need to make one last check with her that I can give it away and it's yours.

Let me know if you want it.

Dan
Update: We gave this printer to my local union office since nobody on here needed/wanted it.

atlfootr
08-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Do you have any idea on shipping to midwest.I'll find out this week ...

stevo137
08-26-2007, 04:58 PM
I just purchased a HP Photosmart C-6180 all in one and so far it is outstanding.

The pics are beautiful and the ethernet wireless is nice too since both of the kids can also print from their puters.

I believe that list is $299 but I got it for $269 at Office Depot and also a $100 rebate which shold be offered until 9-1.

s