PDA

View Full Version : Road Bikes

BrianM
08-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I think I remember that there are a couple of regulars around here that are into road bikes. I used to be into it pretty heavy but hadn't been on a road bike in about 10 years. Decided to buy myself another bike and get back into it again. Lots of changes to bike technology in the last decade. So after lots of research test rides and a good fitting I decided on a Felt F65 (http://www.feltracing.com/06/06_bikes/f65/). I was originally looking at the F75 but this 65 was a leftover 2006 that I got for a great deal. Put about 200 miles on it so far and am loving it.

Anyone that rides have any training tips advice? Just hoping to start a little cycling discussion.

This photo doesn't do the finish of the bike any justice. It is a clear coat over the polished aluminum and carbon fiber.

PendO
08-10-2007, 04:36 PM
what pedals did you put on it? (noticed the full ultegra - nice)

I'll bet you are enjoying the carbon fork and seat stays ... man it is such a better ride with the addition of carbon to the frames of today

corey
08-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Nice Ride and congrats on racking up some miles. I started out the season pretty good but as of late (just got a puppy) I havent been out much at all.

BrianM
08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
what pedals did you put on it? (noticed the full ultegra - nice)

I'll bet you are enjoying the carbon fork and seat stays ... man it is such a better ride with the addition of carbon to the frames of today
I just put on a set of Shimano 540s. Funny thing is that although the 540s are the lower end of thier pedal line they actually weigh less than the Ultegra or Dura Ace Pedals. Didn't feel like spending twice as much on a set of Looks.

The carbon is great. Last bike I had was all aluminum and to say it rode harsh was an understatement.

corey
08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Here is my fly ride. Changed out the saddle and wheels as the stock ones were NOT good.

BrianM
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Nice bike. Looks like full carbon, yes? What was wrong with the wheels? Weak?

corey
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Carbon fork, aluminum frame. Cannondale runs a double pass weld on their aluminum frames which produces a smooth junction between tubes. The full carbon bikes were out of my price range when I bought this.

The wheels looked cool but were crazy heavy. I rode them for a couple of months and then got a pair of Mavic Cosmos. Still not the lightest but pretty good and very durable, I hop the occasional curb or rail road track quite a bit so I wanted something that wouldnt be to painful to replace if/when I break something.

Leroy
08-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Nice bike Brian! I love bike riding. I would like to have a double diamond bike again. I averaged 2500 miles a year for years but have been way off that the past 3-4 years. I like the SPD pedals, very light and your foot can rotate some without coming out. I would like to sell this bike if anyone is interested!

BrianM
08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Nice bike Brian! I love bike riding. I would like to have a double diamond bike again. I averaged 2500 miles a year for years but have been way off that the past 3-4 years. I like the SPD pedals, very light and your foot can rotate some without coming out. I would like to sell this bike if anyone is interested!

Those Softrides are so cool looking. Talk about something that doesn't look like just another bike. I know the ride has got to be great but how are they when you are really putting the power to them? Seems to me they might be a bit 'mushy' for hills, sprints but ICBW.

RexDog1
08-10-2007, 06:46 PM
http://www.kestrel-usa.com/index.php

Brian i have been riding Kestrel bikes for about 20 years now I have well over 10,000 miles on the one I ride now, and i am 6'5" 200lbs i have never had a crack or brake with Kestrel, take a look :D

Leroy
08-10-2007, 07:49 PM
The frame, what little there is, is aluminum and very stiff. Most bikes you can crank and see the frame around the pedals move, barely on this bike. The bar only moves if your pedal stroke is uneven, IE you push down harder than you pull up so it it very good for pedal efficiency. Had my fastest Tri at Ms T's in Chicago with 24.7mph avg over 24 miles. Fast bike, but too fragile for ordinary riding.

Those Softrides are so cool looking. Talk about something that doesn't look like just another bike. I know the ride has got to be great but how are they when you are really putting the power to them? Seems to me they might be a bit 'mushy' for hills, sprints but ICBW.

michael freeman
08-11-2007, 12:27 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/Catrike700002.jpg

I prefer something a little more comfortable.:D

TX.X-30 fan
08-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Conclusion
Do not minimize the importance of sexual function in your life. The adverse relationship between bike riding and sexual function will not go away.

JUS SAYIN. :D :D