PDA

View Full Version : Traffic question for Chicago area people

suedv
08-10-2007, 08:41 AM
We have to drive through the Chicago area today on our way to Rockford, IL for the Nationals. We'll be getting to the Chicago area around 5:30 or 6:00 PM. Google basically has us going I-94 to the Indiana Toll Rd/Chicago Skyway to I-90. Is this the best way to go at that time of day? Is there a better choice?

chudson
08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Sue I'm sure someone with better knowledge of the Chicago area will come on but I-80 over to I-39 would bypass Chicago all together and even though there's a little backtracking I would bet it far outweighs going threw Chicago traffic.

Maristar210
08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Sue,

There is a better choice, fly over that crap.

Actually that is the way I would go but I would wait until later or go earlier. Its a disaster from 4-7 especially on a Friday......

Rockman
08-10-2007, 12:25 PM
We have to drive through the Chicago area today on our way to Rockford, IL for the Nationals. We'll be getting to the Chicago area around 5:30 or 6:00 PM. Google basically has us going I-94 to the Indiana Toll Rd/Chicago Skyway to I-90. Is this the best way to go at that time of day? Is there a better choice?

Sue,

Where are you coming from?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Sue,
Going through chicago during the hours of 3PM and 6PM on a friday. I would rather have a quadruple root canal.
And it would probably take less time.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Here is what your "google map" probably looks like.

suedv
08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Sue,

Where are you coming from?

Grand Rapids, MI

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
This is probably the way I would go. Keep in mind 80/94 is still under contruction as it probably will be for the next 100 years:rolleyes: . But the Ryan is even worse.
Here is the way I would probably go if it were me.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2007, 12:38 PM
That little "jog" in the middle is to avoid O'hare airport. I don't see a better way, but Rockman may disagree, and that's ok. There is no good way. Because there will always be traffic in every direction, some worse than others.

suedv
08-10-2007, 12:38 PM
We can't leave earlier because of work. I suppose we could sit at home for a while and leave later. What ever we do we need to get there tonight to see the first show tomorrow morning.

suedv
08-10-2007, 12:40 PM
This is probably the way I would go. Keep in mind 80/94 is still under contruction as it probably will be for the next 100 years:rolleyes: . But the Ryan is even worse.

Is this supposed to have a map?

Never mind, I see a map now. I don't know why it didn't show up at first. :confused:

suedv
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks this is very helpful.
Sue

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2007, 12:49 PM
We can't leave earlier because of work. I suppose we could sit at home for a while and leave later. What ever we do we need to get there tonight to see the first show tomorrow morning.
You don't have to wait. Just make sure you fill up before you get to IL. because you NEVER know.;)

Rockman
08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
That little "jog" in the middle is to avoid O'hare airport. I don't see a better way, but Rockman may disagree, and that's ok. There is no good way. Because there will always be traffic in every direction, some worse than others.

The only thing I would suggest is taking 294 to 88 West to 39/51 north to 90 west. 39/51 is wide open for 99.9% of the time. You will meet 90 off of 39/51 about 15 minutes from Rockford.

That's the way we take when heading up to WI since we are so far southwest. 88 will get a bit jammed around 355 but then once you get around Naperville, it should open up.

I know there is construction around the O'hare toll booth and that was a joke last time I drove that way.

Chicago190
08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Agreed, definately take 294. Its up to you if you want to use Rockmans or W4Ts route since you will probably run into more traffic staying on 294 all the way to 90, but the distance looks to be considerably shorter. I wouldn't wish having to drive through downtown Chicago at 6 on my worst enemy. I work downtown and can see the traffic on the south side and its gridlocked everyday.

suedv
08-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks again. I'm sure you are saving us time and preventing some frustrations this evening. :steering:

suedv
08-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Agreed, definately take 294. Its up to you if you want to use Rockmans or W4Ts route since you will probably run into more traffic staying on 294 all the way to 90, but the distance looks to be considerably shorter. I wouldn't wish having to drive through downtown Chicago at 6 on my worst enemy. I work downtown and can see the traffic on the south side and its gridlocked everyday.

I'll put Rick in charge of making the final decision because he's always right when it comes to directions. ;) :) I still get too tired to get all caught up in the traffic mess decisions. I'll just sleep all the way through Chicago and have my energy up for Saturday and Sunday.

wiltok
08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
OK - I commute several times a week from SW Michigan to Chicago's loop. No doubt - you are in a for a long ride. The problem is that with many routes (including some back routes I have) you are going into and out of the city - getting traffic both ways. I would say 294 around is your best option - that way you don't go into the city and have to come back out.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks again. I'm sure you are saving us time and preventing some frustrations this evening. :steering:
It's Chicago traffic...It's not possible to save frustration!!!;)
It's a bit late for this, but if you have the camper, I hope you bring some serious $ for the tollbooths. They are taking advantage of travelers coming through this state. I suggest bring bags of pennies.....(Toll collectors love that)
You PAY DOUBLE the tolls. So if each toll is $2.00 for us, you pay $4.00 etc... They just want to make sure you pay to show your appreciation for having such great roads.

Sorry if you didn't know this ahead of time.

(Disregard this information if you have IPASS)

suedv
08-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks guys. That was the best ride we ever had through this area. You gave great advice and we didn't get stuck in a single traffic jam. We didn't ever have to drive less than 60-65 mph.

By the way we aren't camping so no problems with the tolls.

We did have one toll booth worker who was speaking in "french" to us. She decided to tell us about her kids who came to stay for the weekend and brought their #*@# dog, just after she vacuumed. :rant: It was so random we pulled away laughing so hard we about had tears in our eyes. How much do they have to pay toll workers in to be entertainers too????? :D

milkmania
08-13-2007, 12:49 AM

played around with www.traffic.com and found this
http://www.traffic.com/Chicago-Traffic/I-90_I-94_Dan_Ryan_Exwy-INBOUND-16_IB_DR_53.html

Workin' 4 Toys
08-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Milk, I don't have it in front of me, but there are sites with live webcams for viewing traffic too. Yeah, it like watching paint dry, but they are out there too.