PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Regulator?

aellicson
08-09-2007, 07:20 PM
There are 4 terminals on the external voltage regulator F- Field, S- Stator, I-Inigiton, A-? . Can someone let me know what should be connected to the A Terminal?

Thanks,

Andy

JimN
08-09-2007, 08:45 PM
IIRC, that goes to the ammeter, which is in the circuit before the ignition switch.

aellicson
08-09-2007, 08:55 PM
What if I eliminated the ammeter? I'm having charging issues and my alternator checks out, battery checks out, replaced almost all my wiring and still only getting the same voltage out of my alternator as the battery. I appreciate you help!

Andy

aellicson
08-09-2007, 08:55 PM
What if I eliminated the ammeter? I'm having charging issues and my alternator checks out, battery checks out, replaced almost all my wiring and still only getting the same voltage out of my alternator as the battery. I appreciate you help!

Andy

JimN
08-09-2007, 09:20 PM
If you remove the ammeter, you'll never know if it's charging or discharging. That, by itself, won't usually cause problems but anything is possible. Did you check the regulator? That's where the bridge rectifier is and if it's bad, not only will you have voltage issues but the battery can discharge pretty quickly.

Again, what I posted before is only from memory and may not be correct since it have been a long time since I dealt with an external regulator.

aellicson
08-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I was having the same issues before i eliminated the ammeter. I was informed that the wiring involved with an ammeter can increase your chances of bad wiring or connections.

Andy

JimN
08-09-2007, 10:05 PM
An ammeter has an in and an out. It may have a light bulb, on the lighting circuit. It gets its ground from the same place as the other gauges. Not much to it, really. True, it is in series with all of the other circuits that come directly from the battery but a boat's wiring is pretty basic. As long as the wires are in good condition and the terminals/connections are clean and tight, everything should work.