PDA

View Full Version : Moody 1989 prostar

teeter
08-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Once warmed up and the boat seems to be running smoothly and i cut the engine some times it chooses not to start up, i turn the ignition and all i hear is a click so it sounds like power is getting to the starter, but it doesn't turn over. And then when i think all hope is lost it turns over and starts up. any ideas?

TMCNo1
08-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Probably the started solenoid, weak battery or corroded battery connections.

ride
08-09-2007, 09:11 PM
TMC-
I'm new to the site but love that Avitar. Know where there's one in yellow polka-dots?

TMCNo1
08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
TMC-
I'm new to the site but love that Avitar. Know where there's one in yellow polka-dots?

You can always check with Skeeler.

AR Footer
08-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Once warmed up and the boat seems to be running smoothly and i cut the engine some times it chooses not to start up, i turn the ignition and all i hear is a click so it sounds like power is getting to the starter, but it doesn't turn over. And then when i think all hope is lost it turns over and starts up. any ideas?

My 85 has the same problem and I was told to check the timing and make sure it was correct. I was also told that because of the heat that builds up under the motor cover on some of the older boats that the fuel vaporizes and causes them to be hard to start. The vent in the motor cover is supposed to allow the heat to get out but in some instances the owners have added some type of insulation around the fuel line to eliminate part of the heat.

Bongo
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
What TMC said.

If it isn't turning over, it has to be a problem getting juice to the starter. Start with the simple (cable ends; battery, starter, ground) and move to the more difficult (solenoid).

Bongo

teeter
08-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Is the solenoid pretty tough for the mechanically inept.. i'll probably check the cables/connections next time i'm out. battery is only a year old so i think it should be good. No idea how long since the timings been checked. My buddy does has done timing on cars said he could help me out, is it pretty much the same?

teeter
08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Is the solenoid pretty tough for the mechanically inept.. i'll probably check the cables/connections next time i'm out. battery is only a year old so i think it should be good. No idea how long since the timings been checked. My buddy does has done timing on cars said he could help me out, is it pretty much the same?

AR Footer
08-10-2007, 08:19 AM
The timing should be just like a car as far as how you set it. You will need to look in your manual or it could possibly be on one of your valve covers to see what the timing should be. I have the 351 PCM and I believe mine is 6 degrees advanced with an electronic ignition.

It is my understanding that the condition that I described with the heat causes a condition called vapor lock and sometimes the engine will not turn over because of this condition. Mine does it and there are no problems with starter, solenoid, or battery. If you let it cool a little it will go ahead and start. The problem can be magnified by the timing being advanced too much.

Tim2ski
09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey Teeter,
First time poster, long time reader.
Had the same problem for years. One of the best things I ever did (took me about 7 yrs to figure it out) was buying one of the new style starters. I had the old one rebuilt several times and it always worked good for awhile, but then waited till a holiday weekend with guests onboard to just plain quit.
One of the issues was that the shim where the armature goes into the casing worked out and binded the starter. You can see this if you pull the starter and see brass dust in the starter or in the flywheel housing. Sometimes this would not present itself till after the engine/starter got warm. If you keep trying to start the boat the solenoid will just melt/arc.
Talked with the guys over at Skidim.com and he suggested the new starter. I always thought they were for the newer boats. Your battery will thank you. The new style just has a lot more torque for the amount of current applied.

Good Luck!

What time is it?
Tim2ski

hester
09-03-2007, 11:10 PM
One of the best things I ever did was buying one of the new style starters.

I agree with Tim2ski 100%. Switching from the old school starter to the new permanent magnet was a huge improvement.

May not fix your problem but I was experiencing the exact same symptoms. Motor runs perfectly but when it was warm and I shut it off I was having problems starting. It would act like the battery was dead but once things cooled down a bit it would start back up perfectly.

I could have rebuilt like many on here suggest but I wanted to get something new. The starter from skidim works perfectly and turns the motor over like a champ. Here are a couple of pics for comparison.

Eastbayboarder
09-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I have the same boat and had the same problem. i can't tell you how many times I got stranded. I finally sucked it up and had my local shop figure it out. They replaced the lanyard button and it seems to have fixed the problem. Although sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens but the next turn or two it starts so who knows. I love the boat so I guess I will deal. Good luck.

JimN
09-09-2007, 08:33 PM
The best thing to do is remove the lanyard from the safety switch when not using the boat. Every time the switch moves, it scrapes the oxidation from the contacts and if it never moves, it's never cleaned.