PDA

View Full Version : Stalling No Power!

School Skier
08-09-2007, 06:07 PM
My 97 190 has been losing power! We have flushed the fuel tank changed about three fuel filters to this point, we did find water and dedrie in the tank. I got the boat back and it worked fine for a while. I then fueled the boat with a high teir fuel and ran it through a Mr. funnel to get anything that might be in the gas. The Mr. Funnel filters debrie and water out of the fuel.
I then used the boat for a little more than 3 hours and the power loss returned. The fuel pump works fine and this time the fuel filter is clear.
Anyone have any suggestions for me!

ride
08-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Not sure about the '97 but my '95 has two in-line fuel filters, an inlet screen in the tank pickup and apperently an inlet screen just before the pump (that i have yet to locate). You check your fuel pressure at the schrader valve to see if its up to par?

flipper
08-09-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't have the same motor or boat, but mine did the same thing and it was the screen in the high pressure fuel pump clogging up. Cleaned it out and has been fine ever since.

east tx skier
08-09-2007, 08:10 PM
When was your flame arrester cleaned last?

ride
08-09-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't have the same motor or boat, but mine did the same thing and it was the screen in the high pressure fuel pump clogging up. Cleaned it out and has been fine ever since.
Flipper,
So where do I find that screen in relation to the pump?

JimN
08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Greg- can you check your fuel pressure? That's the first thing I would do. At the same time, I would take a fuel sample. If that comes up clean, I would look at the last filter in the line, on the motor. The screen is the coarsest one in the system. I also think yours has a fuel shut-off near the tank. Make sure the lever is in line with the fuel line. The anti-siphon valve may have some of the debris in it, too. As Doug said, the flame arrestor may be dirty but if your boat is still as clean as it was when I worked on it last, I doubt if it's dirty- I don't remember your motor having the plastic cover over the arrestor and if it was really dirty, you would have noticed it long ago.

School Skier
08-09-2007, 09:18 PM
JimN- Hi I do have a plastic cover and it's clean. Some of this stuff the fellow team members are telling me are places I let the pro's go like where it is right now. Do you still work on boats? It seems this problem is intermittent.

JimN
08-09-2007, 09:29 PM
I do work on boats, once in a while.

Since it's intermittent, have them look at the power plug for the fuel pump. I have seen some that wiggled loose and didn't always make good contact. I would also look at the motor grounding point, specifically the ground wire for the fuel pump, which is located there. I would also have them remove the relays, inspect them and re-seat them. Being in the socket for 10 years is long enough for condensation to have corroded the terminals.

Another thing I would look at is the fuel pickup tube, in the tank and the fuel pump screen. There were some boats of your year and for a couple of years later that had carpet fibers that collected in the screen. Some had pieces of clear caulk that got into the tank and clogged the pickup tube.

These are from memory, but the usual suspects are what I would look at and if your dealer doesn't know all of them, do a search (or, have them do it) here for fuel issues.

School Skier
08-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks JimN I hope they have the time!

JimN
08-09-2007, 10:06 PM
You're the customer, they should make the time. It's their job to make it run when you take it in with a problem.